GMRS/GPS combo

Was looking around Ebay and spotted these going for around $50. Im sure yall have seen them as i am usually a day late and a dollar short. Thought i would post anyways. The GPSr part doesnt have the best specs in the world but overall they are kinda cool and the price sure seems right!!

I did not know about this one. Looks interesting. It has an 8 channel parallel processor, which is fine. Precision of dd.ddddd or UTM is good. Runs on 4 AAAs, is OK (uses alks or rechargeables). Big negative is that there appears to be no computer interface.

I've been thinking of buying a couple, but haven't got around to it.

They were pulled from the market shortly after being introduced. I'm not clear why, but many think it is because they weren't approved by the FCC to transmit data over the FRS/GMRS bands. They still seem to have found their way into the market through discounters and such.

On the FRS bands, their use might now be legal since the FCC seems to have given the go-ahead for limited data transmissions to others besides Garmin (Garmin had to get a special waiver to do so).

Another thing is that Garmin seems to have a patent (?!) on the idea of combining an FRS radio and GPS. Maybe the patent issue forced them off the market, but the Audiovox unit seems to predate Garmin's patent. I don't know what to make of it.

George

I noticed those the other day as being available through my quixtar business.

I was looking for gps, cause I bought my Garmin etrex basic through my business, and now several friends are interested in one, but I couldn't find them now.

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif