Packs

woodsters

I noticed this past weekend at an event cache that there were several different ways people cached. Many cached with just the GPS in hand, others had a camera around there neck as well. Then there were others with "fanny packs" and other with backpacks/bookbags. We had a backpack/bookbag. Normally if we go to a cache location and it's the only one around, we don't carry anything. We just put the trinkets in our pockets and GPs in hand. But this weekend was an eye opener. We bagged 11 caches and one benchmark all together in one walk. My son had a bottle of water in his pocket, but I forgot to grab something to drink. I noticed the fanny style of packs and though they were neat. Had the water bottles on the side and a smallpouch to carry the stash. Yesterday we were out shopping and went into target. Somehow we ended up on the aisle where this type of stuff is. I saw one of those packs for $15 and was about to get it, when I saw something else that appealed to me. It was a smaller backpack type with the camelback type of bladder in it with the long tube for drinking. This appealed to me for several reasons. First of all, i've always wanted a camelback. Secondly, I could use it for biking as well and can put more gear in it. Plus it had the bungy cord thing to put stuff on the outside on it as well. I believe the water bladder is about the same size as two water bottles or maybe a little bigger. I also like the fact that this went over your shoulders and not just around the waist. It was a mere $25. I got one. Can't wait to try it out.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I have an Arc'Teryx day pack with an internal sleeve for a hydration bladder. I use a Platypus bladder and I fill it the night before and throw it in the freezer.

The next day, I have ice cold water all day long. The ice seems to melt at about the rate I drink it. It's great on those 98 degree days.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I have a Camelbak Trail Blazer ... I don't freeze the bag ... but with the wide mouth opening ... I fill it with ice cubes and top off with water ... it does supply cold water for the right amount of time. The bag is not too large ... but large enough for gear, first aid kit and rain gear.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Packs:

A fanny pack with 2 water bottles of 24 oz. each, and first aid kit in in this pack.

For Short day hikes.

Back Pack with extra clothes and necessary gear plus a 100 oz. Camelback; and the fanny pack. For extended trips in the mountains.

Also carry a GPS case which straps on the pack straps, and the lanyard goes around the pack strap.

Full Field Rig:

Side View

7944_200.JPG

Back View

7944_300.JPG

GPS Case

7944_400.jpg

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

I use a Kelty Ricochet. It is a daypack with an internal pocket for hydration bladders. I use a 64oz. platypus. Fill with ice cubes and water before I leave and enjoy ice cold water all along the trail.

Got lots of room for a big bag of trade goods, a notebook with cache printouts, first aid kit, duct tape, rope, rain poncho, some food, compass, mirror, pens, notebooks, and other caching stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Just recently invested in a Camelbak Mule after all the good reviews I heard here. The only reason is because of my recent excursions into the Sam Houston National Forest which I just started doing despite it being the heat of the summer in Texas. I was particularly impressed when the ice remained for so long thanks to the insulation. The bite valve works well. I could probably do with a little bit more storage, though. I liked how the Blowfish model had an expandable area - a good compromise between storage and size.

Also, I put something more substantial, like Gatorade or even juice, in mine. But I think it would be a good idea to have a small bottle of water in case pure water is needed (clean something, for instance).

I have a CamelBak Blowfish and really like it. I use it 95% of the time in the unexpanded size. But in the winter the expanded space is used to hold layers as I take them off. Also when it is expanded it will hold a 30 Cal Ammobox. It is a great way to carry a cache without other people on the trail seeing the Ammobox.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

Tahosa - I think you should look into buying a mule to carry all that equipment! icon_smile.gif

Actually the load isn't all that bad. Probably around 30 lbs. In CO we carry foul weather gear year round. And I always have a stove, food, toilet kit etc in the main pack. In the fall I carry more, a bivy shelter and a small mummy bag. And sometimes don't come out of the hills for several days. On hikes in the summer I have been known to Cache some beers, that way when I go back in later in the year, I have a stash of cold ones to go with the campfire, Ah Ah - Burp!!

Out here we have a proverb - "Tis better to be a Mule, than a Jackass sitting in front of the TV"

I started out with one of the fanny pack style bags not long after I started caching. It worked very well, but I was always interested in a Camelbak. Then I found the cheap ones at Target, and couldn't resist. I've used it on several caching trips this summer, and haven't had any problems with it. There's more room for my caching equipment, and it holds a lot more water.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

We try to keep things light. We use a small soft sided cooler, the kind that would hold a 6pak, and have skeeter spray, digital camera, flashlight, extra batteries, plus pens, and stuff we would leave in a cache. I think we bought it on clearance for $3 or something like that. It's the perfect size for the more difficult climbs.

Can I have a loan, I'm low on cache!!

We are pretty new to the sport and have only really stuffed our pockets and brought old school backpacks. But I've been thinking about getting something better. Actually, I was just thinking about one of those ergonomic jobbies that sling over one shoulder. We don't head out for more than 4 or 5 hours. Anybody with any exeprience with these?

While we are on the topic, anybody use any lightweight packs for their dogs?

quote:
We are pretty new to the sport and have only really stuffed our pockets and brought old school backpacks. But I've been thinking about getting something better. Actually, I was just thinking about one of those ergonomic jobbies that sling over one shoulder. We don't head out for more than 4 or 5 hours. Anybody with any exeprience with these?

They're fine for most geocaches, but if you are doing anything with reasonably difficult terrain, you'll want a pack with two straps.

The ones with one strap flop around if you're negotiating boulders, blowdowns, streams, etc...

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I agree with BrianSnat..if you are navigating something that will require using the hands ,then I would think you might something that is snug to the body, i.e. fanny pack or backpack type with 2 shoulder straps. Or if you can sling it across the body.

Brian

quote:
AHEM... WHAT, IS A BLOWDOWN?

Geez, you city folk. Don't you know nuttin? Its a tree that has fallen across a trail.

Also something that would happen to Popeye pretty frequently.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:

Geez, you city folk. Don't you know nuttin? Its a tree that has fallen across a trail.

Also something that would happen to Popeye pretty frequently.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

please pardon my gutter mind.

SR and dboggny.

SMLlogo.gif

I use a Camelbak Rim Runner. At about $70 it isn't the cheapest on the market, but I've found it worth every penny. It has 100 oz bladder and great support for a small day pack. Seems very well constructed and thus far has taken quite a bit of abuse with not a single problem.

I also have a Camelback Scout for my 8 yr. old son who joins me on many day hikes. It's cheaper at about $35 but it too is a very nice, well constructed little pack.

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

Here's my pack:

leftMULE.jpg

rightMULE.jpg

Its a Camelback Mule exactly like the one pictured up above.

When selecting a pack, dont forget to look for external attachment points.

I can carry twice as much stuff as I can fit INSIDE the pack, by hanging things off the straps and back of the pack. I've taken all the stuff pictured on the outside, plus a Canon A-1 35mm with several filters, halfdozen rolls of film, as well as two other lenses packed in the top compartment. Then also had a military E-tool (those black folding shovels), and an aluminum camera tripod attached to the small MOLLE straps on the back of the pack, as well as my standard 1st aid kit, baby wipes, and all my other caching gear & swag in the bottom compartment.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

quote:
Originally posted by sranddboggny.us:

...if you're negotiating boulders, _BLOWDOWNS_, streams, etc...

SR and dboggny.

http://www.graphlickz.com/NYCGEO

Blowdown occurs above 147 knots, the spoilers will "blow down". The pilot should extend the spoilers to the flight stop position until the aircraft is below 147 KCAS and then deploy to them to ground.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Cracker not only carries one GPS with but two!

Looks like an LBE there Cracker, which makes me wonder how many people where LBE's and buttpacks?

There's an old Army Ranger that has a website I think his name is Ranger Rick. He has some tips on his page and puts out some books. One of the tips was on how to make your own "Ranger Bands". For those not aware. A ranger band is a piece looped rubber. They are used to hold things in place. He shows how to make the out of bicycle innertubes. (Basically you just cut them into pieces). Seeing all the gear on crackers shoulder straps reminded me of that and thought I would pass on the tip...

Brian

quote:
Its a Camelback Mule exactly like the one pictured up above.

When selecting a pack, dont forget to look for external attachment points.

I can carry twice as much stuff as I can fit INSIDE the pack, by hanging things off the straps and back of the pack.

Sheesh, how do you walk like that? I'd be afraid to bend over. icon_eek.gif I probably wouldn't be able to get back up. icon_wink.gif

Personally, I like a pack that's large enough to fit everything inside. The only things I carry outside the pack (other than trailwork tools, when necessary) are my GPS, a pocket knife and the map. Everything else goes inside, or in the outside pockets, for stuff I don't want to dig for, like the camera, compass and cell phone.

Outside lash points are good to have on the few occassions you need them, but the more stuff inside the pack, the fewer things that will catch on brush, or just flop around and make you a bit less stable when crossing difficult terrain.

Also, I've had too many clips fail, closures open and pouches tear to trust anything hanging outside my pack. I spend the money for a good pack, but a lot of these gear manufacturers skimp on the carrying cases for their products. I'm not going to trust a $300 GPS, or $100 pair of binoculars to a 50 cent velcro closure.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 26, 2003 at 09:04 AM.]

hehe...hey BrianSnat, imagine having on all that gear...you've found the cache, you've got it open and you hear someone behind you. You turn around with the Fisher Price School Bus McToy in hand and surprised look on your face...now imagine that picture lol if you are the person behind them....

On another note, after seeing crackers rig, it reminded me of my duty (not dooty <anicker&gticon_wink.gif belt from the prison. I went to the basement and pulled it out. It has loads of pouches on it that will go on the outside of the pack. I acan also use them to keep the loose things together inside the pack as well. Already found one that my pocket pc will fit in nicely and keep it protected. Need to figure out how to get a lanyard on my gecko. Got a couple of clips that the lanyard can attach to. Gotta figure out what I can get in the cuff cases. I've got a CPR microshield in one, may just leave it and make that pouch a first aid one...Got a mini maglite pouch, but the mini maglites didn't last long in the prison...may get a new one or another kind that is small like that. Or can use that for pens and etc. Got a radio case too...gotta figure out what I can put in it..

Brian

My backpack of 10 years (that I pulled out of a dumpster because it was in such great shape!) finally got so thread thin that I could see through it from the inside out and it no longer had water repellancy.

So, I looked long and hard at various daypacks including the Camelbak line; and I bought an REI 3100ci Alpine day pack (it also comes in 2800ci) and a Camelbak 100 oz. Unbottle. The Unbottle is self insulated, has a shutoff valve at the bite valve to help prevent leakage and costs only $3 more than the Camelbak Omega bladder that comes without the extras. With that and two 33 oz. bottles, I still ran out of water. With the many mountain streams that I hiked past, I decided my next purchase is going to be a First Need water purifier and a valve adapter that will attach above the bite valve. That way, I can refill the Camelbak without ever taking the backpack off. I'll just carry the purifier in a separate pouch that will hang off the side of the pack and be within easy reach.

I bought a Jansport GPS pouch similar to Tahosa's which can also carry my PDA, two sets of AA batteries, my ID, and signature cards - all within easy reach.

The bottom line, though, with all the water and the 10 essentials, plus a little more, the overall weight did not exceed 25 lbs. and stayed snug to the back making it very easy to hike and scramble around rocks and rock slides without losing my balance.

Cheers!

TL

Glad to see that this thread was posted. Once I was able to break away, I checked out the line of products at the Target near work.

Since I tend to haul a lot of trade goods as well as quite a few other things, I decided upon the Glacier pack rather than the Ripcord that others had been talking about. It's a full-size pack which will allow me to carry all of my stuff and still have room to carry anything that my daughter decides she can't carry any more while on the hunt.

A bonus with this one is that it'll be really handy when we go to Disneyworld soon. No more having to fumble with a drink cup while walking around the park!

S-4-C

I KNOW I'll find it if I just keep LOOKING!

Actually, I dont have a problem with stuff getting caught on brush....except maybe when I have the tripod on the back.

All the pouches and GPS's dont get in the way at all. Its actually really comfortable, and everything is easy to get to without taking off the pack. Having to stop and remove the pack to get something was getting really old. I have the GPSs tied by lanyard so if the clips do break, no biggie. They are easy to read and use without even removing them from the clips on the straps.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

quote:

quote:

They're fine for most geocaches, but if you are doing anything with reasonably difficult terrain, you'll want a pack with two straps.

The ones with one strap flop around if you're negotiating boulders, blowdowns, streams, etc...

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

I must agree the so called ergonomic bags are not much good for any real hiking. They just get in the way. Your best bet is a day pack with a built in hydraytion system. Just because a company wants to call something ergonomic does not make it so. After you have your pack, then start lookinf for some walking poles.

quote:
Originally posted by Tahosa:

Packs:

Also carry a GPS case which straps on the pack straps, and the lanyard goes around the pack strap.

Hi Tahosa,

Nice pack and gear. Where did you get the GPS case or who makes it? It looks real handy and protects the unit. Thanks, Peter

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

I have a Camelbak Trail Blazer ... I don't freeze the bag ... but with the wide mouth opening ... I fill it with ice cubes and top off with water ... it does supply cold water for the right amount of time. The bag is not too large ... but large enough for gear, first aid kit and rain gear.

I have the same one, and love it. For really long hikes I carry an extra litre of water just in case. I've found freezing it makes the coldness last longer for those long hikes, but I guess it depends on how long you plan to be out and how much you drink. icon_smile.gif

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

mdgpsbanner.gif

I bought mine off of www.llbean.com. I love their outdoor stuff. This pack holds everything I could need. I got one large pocket for trinkets, one for my camera, first aid kit, rope, and other stuff and then a smaller pocket on the front where I put my GPSr. It also has to spots for water bottles on the side and I can hold it 3 differnt ways. It has the over-the-shoulder, lumbar, or handle just to carry. It rocks!

64784_1700.jpg

64784_1200.gifBeen there... Done that...

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

Backpacks? Fannypacks? Nah...

I like my packs where they NEVER get in the way - walking, sitting, or even...napping. If I'm going to hike any more than a short distance I will be wearing http://www.summitequipment.com/Default.htm

"...clear as mud?"

At first, I thought... cool idea!

But then I got to thinking if I were to transfer what I have in my backpack to leg packs, that's just going to be more weight pulling down my pants, and make it more difficult to hike longer trails due to the added weight to the legs. As I write this, I remember using something similar in the 70's to carry my gas mask in the military and didn't like it then. It got in the way for tight places. Besides, a hydration bladder wouldn't work too well with that kind of setup either.

Cheers!

TL

icon_smile.gifI always find these forums a day late! I've been carrying my Lowepro Minitrekker to carry my camera gear. Then I added a Camelback fanny pack unit. Then I was looking for some way to hook my radio up with the GPSr. And the Camelback was getting too small and the pants kept needing to be hooked back up (ever put a belt on a pear?). I looked at suspenders and ended up with this. I tried it Monday in 92° weather. Carried a 2 liter bladder, a cold pack with 4 gatorades, 12 PBJ sandwiches (the perfect geocaching food by the way), all my camera gear, radio, GPSr, binocs, first aid gear, etc, etc. Course it weighed about 40 pounds but it seemed to work. Probably overkill but I travel heavy....and my pants don't fall down. icon_biggrin.gif

What are you looking for?

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

At first, I thought... cool idea!

But then I got to thinking if I were to transfer what I have in my backpack to leg packs, that's just going to be more weight pulling down my pants, and make it more difficult to hike longer trails due to the added weight to the legs. As I write this, I remember using something similar in the 70's to carry my gas mask in the military and didn't like it then. It got in the way for tight places. Besides, a hydration bladder wouldn't work too well with that kind of setup either.

Cheers!

TL

Yeah, you have to have the right shape for the leg packs to work. If you can put most of the weight of a frame pack with 50lbs or so on the hip belt without trouble, the leg packs will work very well for light duty. I've hiked for miles with mine with no discomfort and no sagging.

Agreed they're not the best setup for hydration bladder systems, but they can be made to work. OTOH, I have used them with a wide variety of other containers with no problems.

As for tight spaces - they *are* outdoor gear. I do like being able to access gear or take a break without removing or shifting the packs. Most tight spaces I can just turn sideways icon_wink.gif , but I wouldn't try wearing them for caving.

Once I get some sort of Camelback pack to go with it, I think I'll have the best of everything.

"...clear as mud?"

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

Also, I put something more substantial, like Gatorade or even juice, in mine. But I think it would be a good idea to have a small bottle of water in case pure water is needed (clean something, for instance).

I am thinking of adding a second bladder with Gatorade or maybe Sangria!