The Cache that Wasn't There

Reddfrogg

I know that caches sometimes go missing after being placed, but has anyone else run into a cache that was listed, but not yet placed? This cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=39364

was posted on 10/10/02, and I went to find it, hoping for a "first find". I had only a few minutes to look, and it was raining pretty steadily. I took a few minutes and an umbrella, and went searching, I found the coordinates without any trouble, but the cache was no where to be found. I searched as long as I could, getting very muddy and almost falling into a stream, by slipping on the muddy stream bank. I gave up, vowing to try again in a few days.

When I returned on 10/13, the cache was there, and in almost plain sight. (It was behind a couple of trees,) I know I stepped right on the spot where the cache appeared later. Also in the logs, people searched for it on 10/11, and didn't find it. Apparently it was placed on 10/12.

Anyone else run into such a thing?

Reddfrogg

Looks like an innocent mistake by a person hiding their first cache, who doesn't know there are rabid addicts who will dash to be first to find.

Folks, if you are delayed in placing an approved cache, or are tinkering with the coordinates, or there's any other reason why it isn't where the cache page says it is, then use the "Temporarily Disable This Cache" option and post a note!!!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

What would life be like if there were no hypothetical questions?

You're right, probably an innocent mistake. But I know I'd be pretty annoyed if I spent a lot of time searching for a cache that wasn't there and the owner knew it. Apparently a few people did so with this cache. I think the owner owes them an apology.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Umm... how did they know the coordinates? I'm trying to figure out the chain of events for posting a geocache on here, before actually placing the cache in the physical location.

Perhaps they used something like USA PhotoMaps to find a good location, marked it - then set off to find it and leave a cache there. Without software help, all I can think of is that they scouted the location, saved the waypoint, went home and created the cache page, then went back the next day with the booty. Heh... sounds like a PITA. icon_smile.gif

banana.gifThe Toe Pages