Heat and the Cache, when it's 122 what are we going to regret leaving?

Guest Lasivian

Guest Lasivian

Ok, i'm out in Phoenix, and i'm wondering how many of us remember that in the summer those boxes, tins, buckets and bags of stuff we put out there are going to get HOT!

One of my main curiousities is, can pens explode in the heat?

Thanks

------------------

Lasivian@usa.net - ICQ 3619356 - www.fastq.com/~lasivian

Guest Nostromo

I use those little golf pencils, you can get a pack of a zillion for a small amount, or swipe them from the lotto displays. icon_smile.gif

I can't leave pens for the opposite reason, the hard freezes we have here ruins them.

NASA spent millions developing a pen that could withstand all the rigors of space. It was found that the common pencil did a far better job.

As far as heat sensitivity, 122 would rule out the one-shot camera idea for you. Better stick to pokemon cards and gold bullion. icon_wink.gif

Guest Nostromo

I use those little golf pencils, you can get a pack of a zillion for a small amount, or swipe them from the lotto displays. icon_smile.gif

I can't leave pens for the opposite reason, the hard freezes we have here ruins them.

NASA spent millions developing a pen that could withstand all the rigors of space. It was found that the common pencil did a far better job.

As far as heat sensitivity, 122 would rule out the one-shot camera idea for you. Better stick to pokemon cards and gold bullion. icon_wink.gif

Guest MountainLion

I'm a little concerned about the ever-popular AA batteries. At 120 degrees (much higher in the can, if not shaded) there is some chance they'd leak. Not much of a chance, but battery guts inside a cache is not a pretty picture.

Can you bury your caches?

After a certain depth your cache will be insulated from the heat rather than baked by it. You could use small cairns or other visual cues to say "dig here".

Guest MaasNeotek

With respect to the Camera-Caches. 2 worries. Heat, and Cold.

Most film (certainly ANY film in a disposable camera) will suffer if stored at over 25c or below -5c. The heat will cause irreparable color shifts. The cold is worse. If below -5c or -10c the film will become exceptionally brittle, and crack when the user attempts to wind it.

A bit of a disappointment really. We would love to see these in Canada, but over most of the country, -5c is pretty common. The west coast (Vancouver/Vancouver Island) is ok. Anywhere else, is taking a chance.

------------------

http://www.building42.com/geocaching[/url]

Building42 is at 55°32'182" N 113°29'49" W

Well, I've found beers and sodas in caches. Definitely not a good idea in temperature extremes.

Seems like another related problem is that a lot of the caches out there are using plastic cases, either the rubbermade types or the semi-reusable Glad types. These will last about one year at best in areas with many freeze thaw cycles. I'm going to start carrying new cases for older caches in addition to replacement ziplocs to try to keep them alive for as long as possible. Gonna have to stop putting Krispy Kreme donuts in too. They don't seem to be holding up so well....