Camelback issue

Gory

Hi all, I'm considering the purchase of a camelback backpack, but have heard reports of condensation issues within the unit. I hike with camera gear, which doesn't really appreciate getting damp, do any of you use these things? are the packs dry inside on hot or damp days? or do they suffer from condensation? Thanks, Greg

It seems to me that the fact that the liquid you are going to be putting in the CamelBak is going to be colder then the outside temp, thus causing moisture or sweating...It has to have some way to evaporate otherwise it seems to me it will just pool in the bottom of the pack...

Yes, there is some condensation, but since the bladder is in its own compartment (at least with my pack....an Arc'Teryx, not a Camelbak), its not an issue. I carry my cameras inside it all the time.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 23, 2003 at 09:19 PM.]

The only problem I had with condensation was the first time I used it, and thought it was leaking. It turned out to be fine, and that 'leaking' came in very handy by cooling me on a 108-degree day while mtn biking in the desert on a geocaching trek.

The rest of the pack was bone dry the entire day except for that internal compartment and the ventilation points on my back.

Brian

Team A.I.

I have two different Camelbaks, the Trans Alp,which has about 1800 cubic inches of storage space and the BFM, which holds up to 2800 ci's. Each pack has it's own seperate easy access compartment for the bladder. I've never had any condensation or leakage or any type of dampness to the main compartment. Both of my units hold 100 oz of liquid. The BFM model is actually used by the military and is very heavy duty. On sale now at Lightfigher.com for 159.00. The Trans Alps goes for around 120.00.

A few years ago, CamelBak started adding a "drain hole" at the bottom of the bladder pouch. If you wear a fanny pack positioned under the CamelBak, water could drip on it. But that's about it. I've carried cell phones and digital cameras in both of my CamelBaks for years without any problems.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Most Camelbak products have a separate area for the bladder, so your concerns are unfounded.

Check for the thread in the GPS garage sale for good deals on all camelbak products. I have used the military versions for years now. Seems they are finally catching on.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Just got a CamelBack and noticed the condensation. Truth be told I sweated far more than my bladder condensed. Though I recon a bladder full of warm water will fix the condensation.

However my next trip I'm loading that puppy up with ice. With the separate compartment I'm not going to worry about my digital cameral. Besides it has to get through the camera case on top of the separate compartment.

If you are truly worried use a zip lock as your barrier inside your camera bag, outside your separate compartment. That should pretty much take care of the problem.

I load mine up with icewater all the time. It sweats some, but not bad into the storage compartments. As Renegade Mentioned, with a rucksack, or internal frame pack, the sweat from your back is probably more of an issue. When I carry my camelbak, it's generally because I'm going somewhere hot, and intend to work a little.....

I haven't purchased a Camelbac, yet. But I have done a little research mostly comparing the various models. My question is, do you ever wish the pack was waterproof (rainproof)? What happens if the pack get rained on for several hours? Is there a Camelbac model that is rainproof? I guess this is mainly an issue with the larger models that hold a lot of gear.

quote:
haven't purchased a Camelbac, yet. But I have done a little research mostly comparing the various models. My question is, do you ever wish the pack was waterproof (rainproof)? What happens if the pack get rained on for several hours? Is there a Camelbac model that is rainproof?

My Arc'Teryx is pretty much rain proof. It probably won't survive a dunk in a lake, but has made it through extended downpours.

Instead of limiting yourself to Camelbak's, get a Platyus w/hydration hose and choose your own pack.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by GeoVet:

When did we, as a nation, become dehydrated? Is there an event or revelation I missed?

Recent studies inticate that most Americans (I don't think the study I read dealt with anyone other than Americans) are clinically dehydrated. Not many folks hydrate as much as they should. One big reason for that is our increased consumption of caffinated drinks. Caffine is a dieruetic, meaning the more caffine you consume, the more water you eliminate. (That's one reason Cranberry juice is perscribed for folks with urinary tract infections -- it's high in caffene and will make you urinate more.)

I know I was probably dehydrated for much of my adult life and never really noticed it.

About 18 months ago, as part of a change in diet, I eliminated sodas, and cut back on iced tea (I never was much for drinking coffee.) After a month or two, I noticed that I was feeling better (less aches and pains,) my concentration was better, and my stamina in the car was better (I race cars on an amateur level.)

-- Robert

"I drank WHAT?!?" -- Socrates

quote:
Caffine is a dieruetic, meaning the more caffine you consume, the more water you eliminate. (That's one reason Cranberry juice is perscribed for folks with urinary tract infections -- it's high in caffene and will make you urinate more.)

Not quite. Caffeine is certainly a diuretic (note spelling). Cranberry juice is also a diuretic, but (to my knowledge at least) it doesn't contain caffeine. If you have information to the contrary, I'd be curious to hear it (probably not on this forum, as we're getting way off topic here).

This is real easy to pull back on topic.

My camelbak bladder sweats inside my camelbak pack when I fill it with ice water, which is all the time.

OTOH, I fill MY bladder with ice water from the camelbak bladder, and I never notice my bladder sweating.

Intermittantly, my bladder does leak. My camelbak bladder does not.

YMMV.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I had to put my $.02 in!

I have noticed that the drain hole that CamelBak has at the bottom of the military packs work very well. When you are hiking, biking, walking, or whatever... The water that sweats off the bladder will work it's way to the bottom of the pack, and drip out of the drain hole. I would imagine that the only problem that you would have is if you were to lay the pack down for a long period of time and have the pack buildup with condensation.

I still have $.01 left...

BTW: You can get them from my web site by clicking on the link in my signature line.

Be sure to add the code geo123 during checkout to get an additional 15% off. This will make the final price 30% off the MSRP. icon_biggrin.gif

Later,

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Favorite Quote: What should you do if you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:
Originally posted by rckdrummerr6969:

WAL-MART (yeah I hate to give those bastards prop's)

OUTDOOR PRODUCTS W/ 64oz Bladder / mini pockets / several big compartments...

$29.95

Used it today, didn't sweat, in fact in 3 hours and 6Mi.(with exploreing for a cache) the water was still C O L D!!!!!

Not a Camelbak...but it gets the job done!!

Is this the pack called "Hydro?" If so, I have one just like that. At least it fits your description. I really like it.

P

carpe cerevisi

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Wow, there certainly are a LOT of choices, even for just the Camelback brand. What sort of features should I look for?

Features in a hydration daypack I like are:

Net water bottle pockets on the sides (yeah, I know it's already got a hydration bladder, but the side pockets are useful to carry your GPS, camera, carry out litter, etc....).

Waist belt and sternum strap.

Panel loading, or a combo of panel and top loading.

Separate key compartment.

Padded back panel, so pointy things don't dig into your back. Also helps insulate the water bladder from your back, so your body doesn't warm it too much.

Smaller, outside pockets for easy access to cache sheets, pens, maps, notebooks, trade items, etc...

Compression panel on the front (good for stowing wet gear).

Water resistant zippers.

Hydration sleeve that will accomodate at least a 64 oz. bladder and up to 100 oz.

Minimum of 1,500 ci of storage. Max. of around 2,900. Anything less and there isn't room for much more than a sandwich and anything any thing more and we're getting out of daypack territory.

The Arc'Teryx Spear 24 had everything above, except the compression panel, which is why I went with it. There was a Gregory model that had everything I listed, but it was out of stock when I ordered.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 27, 2003 at 03:42 AM.]

quote:
What's a "compression panel"? Is that like an elastic pocket of some sort?

Do you know offhand which Gregory model you were looking at?

Did you consider the Camelbacks at all?

One more question: Do you think it's reasonable to buy one of these via the internet? Or do I really need to go try a few on?

A compression panel is a flap on the back of the pack with compression straps. I've also seen it called a shovel panel. I think the Gregory model I was looking at was the oddly named, CornHolio, or the Knuckle. I forget which.

I didn't consider Camelbaks because most didn't have the features I was looking for. It seems to me that Camelbaks are hydration packs, with the pack being an afterthought. I wanted a pack, where most of the design work went into the pack and the hydration system was the afterthought.

I don't see why you shouldn't order a daypack online. Since you don't carry a lot of weight, fit isn't that critical. A full sized pack, I'd want to try it on before buying.

Also check www.outdoorreview.com

A couple of things Brian didn't mention that I look for in a pack are:

Relatively few extrusions, snagpoints.

Compression straps for the entire pack to keep everything tight and steady.

Designed so as to fit quite snug and tight to the body when so desired for bolder hopping/scrambling.

Key clip somewhere so I can find the car keys in the dark.

Extra reinforcing on the bottom of the pack to help keep it from dying when I end up sliding on my tush.

Ice axe loop/tiedowns

Even the packs that don't already have hydration systems can often be easily converted. Both Camelbak, and MSR make plastic coated nylon inserts that I've found useful. I tried a platic Platypus insert, but had two failures with it so I don't recommend them. The first time, the ziplock top burst open when I hit the back of the pack on a rock while climbing. The second time I sprung a leak where the plastic had folded somewhat, and evidently got pinched.

I tend to like Kelty internal frame packs as they seem to fit my long torso well. They also make some fairly decent hydration packs.

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

Wow, there certainly are a LOT of choices, even for just the Camelback brand. What sort of features should I look for?

-BeachBuddies

What do you want to do with the pack? I have three camelbak's. A mule, TransAlp and the military Motherlode. I use each for different things. The Mule is my Mt. Biking pack along with other things where I want to be lightweight. The transalp started out as my caching pack and is great for that but then I upsized to the MotherLode which I now know its way to large and heavy for caching around here. I would try and find something between the Mule and TransAlp for sizes for caching. I can carry all I need and the kitchen sink with that, so smaller wouldn't be a bad idea but I always figure I will run across that cache that will be longer than a .3 mile hike and I may need something out of my pack for survival but it hasn't happened yet.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

As far as the condensation issue is concerened, I wouldn't worry about it since the area where the bladder resides is well insulated and doesn't pass water threw the padding that is around it.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I came up with an easy solution. My Camelback is a separate unit that I hook to the OUTSIDE of my Lowepro Minitrekker which contains my camera gear and other goodies. The only issue I have is that the camelback unit isn't large enough for longer hikes. I'll probably get a larger bladder and reconfigure the inside of the minitrekker to handle a bit less camera gear and a bit more liquid.

What are you looking for?

I have 2 CamelBacks a Rim Runner and a BFM.

The Rim Runner has served me well for about a year now, but I carry a lot of stuff and it was starting to becaome a problem getting everything I needed into it for caching.

I just got a BFM from Team Shuey and while its a bit over kill for dash and caches, it will hold more than I will ever need for a day of caching. I can put 2 full 100oz bladders in the back, I have a mini orginizer, and lots of smaller compartments and a HUGE main compartment.

This works well for me for having 1 for my lights ( 2 MiniMags, 1 LED Flash Light, 1 Head lamp and standard batteries for all of them.

The other I keep my Stamp, Ink Pad, Find Count cards, Items I have pic up etc.

The 3rd small lumbar compartment I use for my trade swag

In the main compatment I keep paintball loader tubes with various things in them. Power Bars, Rechargeable batteries, Lens Cloth. Pens & Pencile, whistle, Camera etc.

Its all about what you feel you want or need to carry. Goto a shop and try a few on, open them up and see what it looks liek it will hold. Stuff a few things in and see how it takes the load. Once you have a good idea what your looking for go ahead and order online if it suits you. If you liek to support you rlocal shops buy local.

I have a mini review of the BFM lots of pics.

Happy Hiking

-Robert

i use a camelbak HAWG, and i keep my Canon Eos7 attatched to the front of the pack by utilizing the attached D rings and something i made based on the Tamrac N11 camera strap and the Zing Action cover. you can search for these products online. my camera is in front where i need it, and the water is on my back. in this heat, it's hard to tell if the water is coming from the Camelback or from me.

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Writer:
Originally posted by rckdrummerr6969:

WAL-MART (yeah I hate to give those bastards prop's)

OUTDOOR PRODUCTS W/ 64oz Bladder / mini pockets / several big compartments...

$29.95

Used it today, didn't sweat, in fact in 3 hours and 6Mi.(with exploreing for a cache) the water was still C O L D!!!!!

Not a Camelbak...but it gets the job done!!

Is this the pack called "Hydro?" If so, I have one just like that. At least it fits your description. I really like it.

I believe it is called either "cyclone" or Hydro......I just went to the camelbak link, and as I sit here drooling...all I can say is...on a budget...$29.95 you can't beat it from El Walmarto...

It has two two smaller outside puches for all your goodies as well as 1 big inner pouch that holds the 64-70 OZ. of water...LOOKS SIMILAR TO THE MULE or H.A.W.G.

also chest strap and belly strap.

looks like a upgrade to 100OZ bladder will fit no problem!!

I have a Camelbak M.U.L.E. and haven't noticed any condensation issues.

However, it does leak at the point where the tube attaches to the bottom of the bladder. I'll put a plastic bag around the bottom of the bladder to keep it from leaking onto the small of my back but if I bend over the water pours out onto the back of my neck.

It's not a lot of water but any water sensitive items that I might be carrying go into ziplock bags.

89355_500.gif

re the leaky pipe. When I was SCUBA diving I was made aware of a product called Aquasure (or similar) that might help. It sticks to about anything and is tough - it is like bathtub sealant on steroids. I fixed a hole in a drysuit with it and had no leakage at 50 meters (about 6x atmospheric pressure). I have seen it in outdoors stores here, maybe that will fix your leak.

quote:
Originally posted by Gory:

re the leaky pipe. When I was SCUBA diving I was made aware of a product called Aquasure (or similar) that might help. It sticks to about anything and is tough - it is like bathtub sealant on steroids. I fixed a hole in a drysuit with it and had no leakage at 50 meters (about 6x atmospheric pressure). I have seen it in outdoors stores here, maybe that will fix your leak.

is it permanent? That tube needs to be removed for cleaning purposes. CamelBak has gone to a "quick lock" system that each connection locks into place like those of air hoses and such. You push two buttons together to 'pop' the tube pieces/ends apart. I have that on the bladder that came with my MotherLode but haven't used it even once I can't comment on its effectivness.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

> Yes, it's permanent, I wasn't aware the tubes disconnected, sorry for any false hopes.

Also, I'm drinking water through the hose. I don't want any sorts of glue contaminating the water. I was thinking I might try a simple solution like a rubber band to hold it more tightly.

89355_500.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kordite:

> Also, I'm drinking water through the hose. I don't want any sorts of glue contaminating the water. I was thinking I might try a simple solution like a rubber band to hold it more tightly.

CamelBak uses no glue to secure the hoses. The hose is attached to the reservoir, and is very secure. Sure it will come off, but only if it is tugged pretty hard. The bib that it attaches to is barbed to hold it into place.

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Favorite Quote: What should you do if you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

The only time I've had a condensation issue was when I filled mine with ice. The ice pulled moisture from the air just like it does in a glass. It sure was nice having a cold drink, however. If you minimize the ice, you won't have a problem.

On the advisement of people here, I tried mine out today (in SE Texas heat) for the first time and went ahead and used ice. I was impressed with how long it lasted. Yes, there was some condensation but really not much that I noticed and it was all in the bladder compartment. (Camelbak Mule)

I'm happy with my purchase.