Jump to content

Issue a Warning or What?


Followers 0

Recommended Posts

The same day our new cache was approved the Police issued a warning on the news about a rapist at that park. This is a busy park because of the swimming pool. The cache is "Tide Pool". The cache route is not in any real brushy remote areas of the park. We would hate to see a fellow geocacher become a victim of a crime like that.

 

What should we do?

-Post a note on the cache log?

-Post a not on the cahe page?

-Close the cache?

-Or What?

 

The Police said to not go alone or in remote areas and carry a cell phone. They also reccomended these for all Seattle area Parks.

 

Thank You for your input.

Link to comment

Thanks 6 Pack Rats....that was a responsible move on your part. I am a female geocacher, that sometimes, but rarely goes out alone. I am always tempted by park caches.....for some reason I think they are safer. Generally, I am sure they are, but I would like to know that kind of info if I was going out. I am sure it will all be resolved soon. I am in CA so I doubt I would be out your way caching....but I appreciate responsible cache owners! icon_biggrin.gif

 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

Link to comment

Thanks 6 Pack Rats....that was a responsible move on your part. I am a female geocacher, that sometimes, but rarely goes out alone. I am always tempted by park caches.....for some reason I think they are safer. Generally, I am sure they are, but I would like to know that kind of info if I was going out. I am sure it will all be resolved soon. I am in CA so I doubt I would be out your way caching....but I appreciate responsible cache owners! icon_biggrin.gif

 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

Link to comment

I agree about giving a warning. While I cache with at least one other person, I imagine many women don't. I'd not only give the warning, but also suggest to women that they go with a buddy(ies).

 

That should reduce the chances of any problems significantly.

 

I'm going to get a little philosophical here, though, on the point of archiving or temporarily disabling the cache.

 

As a woman, I am getting tired of my movements being more and more restricted by creeps willing to engage in antisocial behavior. I don't like having to be on the defensive every minute I'm out in public (and lock my doors and double-check them when I'm home) simply in order to be able to enjoy my life.

 

To me, having someone archive their cache due to some creep would just be adding insult to injury. I want to be able to go out and hunt caches, and while I realize I have to bring a big guy who knows martial arts with me, that's okay as long as I can still hunt caches!

 

If people stop putting them out, for fear I'm going to get hurt, that would be so depressing.

 

My vote is: trust the women to do the right thing once they get the warning, and don't let some jerk scare you into removing your cache.

 

Shannah

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Team StitchesOnQuilts:

I agree about giving a warning. While I cache with at least one other person, I imagine many women don't. I'd not only give the warning, but also suggest to women that they go with a buddy(ies).

 

That should reduce the chances of any problems significantly.

 

I'm going to get a little philosophical here, though, on the point of archiving or temporarily disabling the cache.

 

As a woman, I am getting tired of my movements being more and more restricted by creeps willing to engage in antisocial behavior. I don't like having to be on the defensive every minute I'm out in public (and lock my doors and double-check them when I'm home) simply in order to be able to enjoy my life.

 

To me, having someone archive their cache due to some creep would just be adding insult to injury. I want to be able to go out and hunt caches, and while I realize I have to bring a big guy who knows martial arts with me, that's okay as long as I can still hunt caches!

 

If people stop putting them out, for fear I'm going to get hurt, that would be so depressing.

 

My vote is: trust the women to do the right thing once they get the warning, and don't let some jerk scare you into removing your cache.

 

Shannah


 

Honey, I agree wholeheartedly...

 

And if you think it is bad on women being repressed just because they are women, just imagine what I have to go through with these same "slobberers" when I geocache in full drag!

 

Jeez, some of them should just eat less red meat!

 

--majicman

 

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Link to comment

I am one of those women who cache alone daily. Sometime I laught at myself when i'm out in a wilderness park because anything can make me jump. Having gone through a bad situation once in my life is enough, and being a little jumpy is ok, it keeps me on my toes. I carry all the safty items I can pack, phone, whistle, and a big stick. I also have decided to start emialing my husband at work and let him know my itinerary of caches.

 

Pepper

 

Horizontals where it's at!

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

I am one of those women who cache alone daily. Sometime I laugh at myself when i'm out in a wilderness park because anything can make me jump. Having gone through a bad situation once in my life is enough, and being a little jumpy is ok, it keeps me on my toes.


 

Don't feel too bad about feeling apprehensive SuperGenius. I hike on the exact same trails that you do and I often feel vulnerable when I'm alone "where no one can hear you scream". Granted I'm not a burly tough guy like Leonardo DiCaprio, so this might just be my personal insecurities showing.

Link to comment

This is a big park, and my guess is that at any one time there is at least one weirdo there. Don't pull the cache, but I would put a warning on the cache page in red to be carefull. Your other option is for the time being, while this guy is active, to leave it ''inactive'' but log a note that the cache is still there and a find can be logged while it is inactive, but just to be carefull. (I don't believe the inactive state restricts any actual access to logging a find on the cache page).

 

4497_300.jpg

"The quality of mercy is not strained;

It dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven,

upon the place beneath.

It is twice blessed;

It blesseth him that giveth and him that takes."

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

I would post a warning and leave the cache open. Rapists don't scare me and more traffic through the park would discourage such cretins. I would like to see an article about a geocacher preventing a rape.


 

SoloHiker makes an interesting point.

A cache in the area might bring in *more* people and lower the chances of attack for everyone.

 

The numbers involved don't seem very high though.

Link to comment

You can put HTML codes in your cache description. To make text red, do this:

 

This text is red

 

You can also make text bold by putting it inside tags, like this:

 

this text is bold

 

of course, the text won't actually be red or bold here, because the message boards use UBB code rather than HTML. But it will work in your cache description.

 

snazzsig.jpg

Link to comment

The HTML worked. But the spacing is now confused and I don't know how to put the spaces back.

 

For example:

 

1.....

2.....

3.....

4.....

 

I don't know HTML but I think it is a good time to start learning. How can I put my list back to normal?

 

Always so close and don't know it!

Link to comment

...person who crosses Ting's path with those intentions. She may be small, but as her daddy told me, dynamite comes in small packages. I've seen her mad and angry, look out!

 

However, I do worry sometimes when she gets stubborn about a cache and wants to go on, through the poison ivy and nettles. She never cache's alone, but there are times where we get seperated. That is where we used radios.

 

Anyway, I think you did a good thing.

 

Bear & Ting

 

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

 

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Link to comment

Post a warning and let the buyer beware. Also, get a dog and you won't have to worry. Any size dog will do -- its all in the bark.

 

 

quote:
Originally posted by 6 Pack Rats:

The same day our new cache was approved the Police issued a warning on the news about a rapist at that park. This is a busy park because of the swimming pool. The cache is "Tide Pool". The cache route is not in any real brushy remote areas of the park. We would hate to see a fellow geocacher become a victim of a crime like that.

 

What should we do?

-Post a note on the cache log?

-Post a not on the cahe page?

-Close the cache?

-Or What?

 

The Police said to not go alone or in remote areas and carry a cell phone. They also reccomended these for all Seattle area Parks.

 

Thank You for your input.


Link to comment

But I did a list on my TAG game. This is how I did it...

 

Will give you a new paragraph

  • will initiate your list
  • 1. type whatever you want here
  • 2. and here and so on.
  • 3.
  • 4.
     

will end list

 

delete the space after the

. That must be a UBB code cause it won't post correctly if I type it correctly here.

 

If you go to a geocaching page that has something you would like to try...go to the top of the page hit your "view" button ...then hit "source". It will show you all the codes that was used on that page. Hope this helps.

 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

Link to comment

I'm glad you go protected. You might want to add some bear repellent to your case. They sell that stuff here in central PA because the bears and coyote can get to inquisitive. I guarantee this stuff will stop a PERP in his tracks. If you can't find it there let me know and I will send you some.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

...I would like to see an article about a geocacher preventing a rape.


 

I can see the headlines now...

"Alleged rapist beaten to death with GPSr."

 

On a serious note for male geocachers, be aware that your travels off the beaten path might make you look suspicious.

Link to comment

quote:

You might want to add some bear repellent to your case.


 

The only bears we have in the San Francisco area anymore are dragging a tin cup back and forth across their cage at the zoo. Hitting up tourist for cigarettes, occasionally stealing a picnic basket whenever animators are in town.

 

quote:

On a serious note for male geocachers, be aware that your travels off the beaten path might make you look suspicious.


 

Great....

 

You know, it took me a really long time to feel comfortable with my kid in the tot park, too many overly concerned mothers would give me suspicious looks if I wasn't standing right next to my daughter. (Erynk ynql, V'z n sna bs oernfgf) I finally gave up on the scenery diversity idea and stuck with the local park where people might get to know me. Now I have to worry about being mistaken for a different type of creep (frkhny cerqngbe) while stumbling around in pursuit of the illusive ammo box.

 

What if I wear pink spandex and a cape?

 

--

The printer within the dry stadium is the carrot that cooks familiarly.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:...

 

Great....

 

You know, it took me a really long time to feel comfortable with my kid in the tot park, too many overly concerned mothers would give me suspicious looks if I wasn't standing right next to my daughter. (Erynk ynql, V'z n sna bs oernfgf) I finally gave up on the scenery diversity idea and stuck with the local park where people might get to know me. Now I have to worry about being mistaken for a different type of creep (frkhny cerqngbe) while stumbling around in pursuit of the illusive ammo box.

 

What if I wear pink spandex and a cape?


 

You might be mistaken for Anders, that's all.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...