The high price of gasoline

People like to bash me because I work for an oil company.

Gasoline isn't that high. Perhaps his will put it into perspective.

Diet Snapple: 16 oz $1.29..............$10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea: 16 oz $1.19............. $9.52 per gallon

Gatorade: 20 oz $1.59 .....................$10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray: 12 oz $1.25 ...............$10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid: 12 oz $3.15 ................. $33.60 per gallon

Vick’s Nyquil: 6 oz $8.35 ..................$178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol: 4 oz $3.85 ................. $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout: 7 oz $1.39 ........................ $25.42 per gallon

Scope: 1.5 oz $0.99 ......................... $84.48 per gallon

And this is the real kicker ...

Evian water: 9 oz $1.49 ................. $21.19 per gallon

$21.19 for WATER - and the buyer doesn’t even know the source.

So, the next time you’re at the pump, be glad your car doesn’t run on

water, Scope, or Whiteout, or God forbid Pepto Bismol or Nyquil.

South Cache

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Persig

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:
Originally posted by South_Cache:

People like to bash me because I work for an oil company.

Ok, I'll bash you for a totally different reason: _being completely off topic_. Why does your self-justifying shopping list have anything to do with Geocaching?

Because I can:

"If you have a topic that doesn't quite fit anywhere else, post it here. "

Boy I got a big one! Really you were too easy. Where is that Mopar dude???

South Cache

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Persig

Gasoline -- $2.09 per gallon

Short length of garden hose -- $2.00

Filling your tank for free while leaving some hapless geocacher stranded in the woods with an empty tank -- priceless!

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

Filling your tank for free while leaving some hapless geocacher stranded in the woods with an empty tank -- priceless!

Good one Dave!! (I better find my locking gas caps. icon_biggrin.gif

South Cache

quote:

Because I can:

Sorry, if you had any clue whatsoever, you'd know that this isn't the off-topic forum. Posts are generally still required to have something to do with geocaching.

quote:

quote:

Because I can:

Sorry, if you had any clue whatsoever, you'd know that this isn't the off-topic forum. Posts are generally still required to have something to do with geocaching.

I asked Jeremy more than a year ago if he could add an "Everything Else" area so that we could post off topic stuff...I know a bunch of people who post here and there are things I'd like to discuss other than geocaching with my fellow geocachers. He replied saying that was a good idea, but for now the General area was the best places for that kind of stuff. Sice there is no Everything Else area, I see no problem with posting off topic things here.

And I definitely don't see ANY justification for flaming someone for posting off topic stuff...and how is it that you have more than a clue than someone else? DId you get a clue book when you started?

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

DId you get a clue book when you started?

Actually, yes, I did.

Many threads have been closed in the General forum for being off-topic. How do you reconcile that reality with your contention that General is a place for off-topic threads?

IMHO, when it comes to policy, actions speak louder than words.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

Good one Dave!! (I better find my locking gas caps. icon_biggrin.gif

Right, with a locking gas cap it's more like:

Large screwdriver to remove "locking" gas cap -- $0.50

Filling your tank for free while leaving some hapless geocacher stranded in the woods with an empty tank and a no-longer-locking gas cap -- priceless!

warm.gif

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

How many of them had you initiated?

They've all been related in some way to geocaching, so far as I can remember. If you find an example of one which was not related to geocaching, please let me know.

The price of gasoline is not off topic. I've heard it mentioned many times recently in conversations about geocaching (planning long geocaching trips, etc.). But please continue to make your point as I always enjoy your posts. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

Well, even if this thread _is_ somehow on-topic, I'm going to go out on a limb here and declare the "priceless" jokes to be utterly unfunny and more worn out than the soles of BruceS's hiking boots.

Yeah, but do you have those AFLAC commercials where you live? Except for the Yogi Berra one, those things are "utterly unfunny."

I did a little searching and found some examples of threads that were closed or came close to being closed. One was a debate about firearms and geocaching and another was about geocaching drunk...there may have been others but I don't really have that much time to look. I can agree with closing those topics because they tend to get out of hand and people get rowdy and rude.

This thread (as well as another very active thread) is about gasoline prices, albeit vaguely, and I get the feeling that South_Cache started it with a tounge-in-cheek intention and was probably expecting a few light hearted flames. The price of gasoline is something that affects the majority of geocachers and many of us have valid, geocaching-related, opinions on the matter. Thus, this thread seems to be on a valid topic.

As far as my contention of off-topic posts belonging in general, I don't really know where else to put them. Jeremy is the moderator and for the most part, I'm okay with his judgement.

I believe that most (admittedly not all) of the off topic threads are within the realm of general decency.

(if that last link doesn't go straight to his post, scroll down to near the bottom of the page)

The geocaching community is a cross-section of society, that has been said many times, and any question that one may have is sure to be answered by someone on these forums. I've made quite a few friends...some I've met in real life, others I may never...so why should we limit these relationships strictly to geocaching? Collectively we have a wealth of knowledge I'll share my modest portion with anyone who asks.

-pizzachef

My only request now is that you go and ask Mr. Jeremy to delete this off topic thread.

Next you will be quoting my number of finds and hides and telling everyone how I am not "qualified" to post on the forum.

I am just bored with all the crying about what is and isn't a cache, movables, virtuals, locationless, non moving, micros, offsets, mocs benchmarks etc and etc ad nauseum. Anyone that reads the posts, replies, follows the policy and guideline changes can see who really controls Geocaching.

I think I am going out and fill all of my caches with dog food! icon_wink.gif

South Cache

PIZZA CHEF You are so right.. Life is too short! Have some fun lighten up you guys. Most of you act like we are talking about open heart surgery!

GEEZ!!

quote:

My only request now is that you go and ask Mr. Jeremy to delete this off topic thread.

Next you will be quoting my number of finds and hides and telling everyone how I am not "qualified" to post on the forum.

I am just bored with all the crying about what is and isn't a cache, movables, virtuals, locationless, non moving, micros, offsets, mocs benchmarks etc and etc ad nauseum. Anyone that reads the posts, replies, follows the policy and guideline changes can see who really controls Geocaching.

I think I am going out and fill all of my caches with dog food! icon_wink.gif

_South Cache

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Persig_

South Cache

quote:

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Persig_

It's so obvious that you only have 35 finds. Only a newbie would misspell Robert M. Pirsig's name like that.

warm.gif

quote:

hehe, I'm just playing around icon_biggrin.gif It would be incredibly silly of me to actually be against off-topic posts... there's a reason that this is my 1000th post, and it isn't because I've posted 999 other relevent messages. icon_wink.gif

You're right, other things due cost more per gallon. BUT, they don't vary in price from day to day. They do charge you for what is in the bottle, not the futures. I went and bout gas one day and the attendant/owner was talking to another owner and he asked what his price was. The guy says outloud where I can hear, "You're charging this?, Yeah, I'll think I'll raise my price to that". That is why you get crap for working for an oil company. Needless to say, I will not go to that gas station anymore.

jak324

quote:
Originally posted by jak324:

You're right, other things due cost more per gallon. BUT, they don't vary in price from day to day. They do charge you for what is in the bottle, not the futures. I went and bout gas one day and the attendant/owner was talking to another owner and he asked what his price was. The guy says outloud where I can hear, "You're charging this?, Yeah, I'll think I'll raise my price to that". That is why you get crap for working for an oil company. Needless to say, I will not go to that gas station anymore.

jak324

My father had two service stations and we had several "gas wars" in the 70s where we would drop prices to drive others out of business.

One time a hurricane came threatened (Camille) several stations jacked up prices to 70 cents. The owners were arrested for price gouging.

The practice is common here in Louisiana. During the week I can park at the Super Dome for $5 per day. On game day the rate is $20 for the duration of the game. During Superbowl or Sugarbowl you can't park anywhere for less than $30.00. To me the price should be the same all the time. Why is is ok to gouge people just because they want to watch a football game.

South Cache

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Pirsig

quote:

*snip*

The practice is common here in Louisiana. During the week I can park at the Super Dome for $5 per day. On game day the rate is $20 for the duration of the game. During Superbowl or Sugarbowl you can't park anywhere for less than $30.00. To me the price should be the same all the time. Why is is ok to gouge people just because they want to watch a football game.

*snip*

i shouldn't be getting involved in this (read: my first post) but I have to ask:

How many people park at the SuperDome on regular weekdays?

How many more people want to park at the SuperDome during game days?

How many more people want to park at the SuperDome during the Super Bowl?

It has to do with the demand for the space and the limited amount of space there is. People wouldn't park during the week if they were charged $20 bucks for the day. And so many people would want to park during game days if you only charged $5 for the game, that there would be major logistical problems. (at least many more than there already are during game days.)

gasoline, while demand increases as the number of vehicles on the road (among other things) increase, is not in so much limited supply. there are sources that can increase the supply of gasoline in the country. and OPEC can increase the number of barrels produced. those would drive the price of gasoline down considerably.

and normally, even when the prices weren't as high as they are now, during the summer, the price went up. why? (mostly because of) demand. more people were driving, going on vacation, enjoying the weather. prices always go up during the summer. they just used to go up to $1.05 from $0.95 a few years ago. now they go up to $1.80 from $1.65.

i've said what i had to say, so let the flaming being. icon_wink.gif

You are right about supply and demand of course. It just irks me to gouge people simply because it is legal. It isn't ethical in my book. Taking advantage of people in need is wrong.

In the case of the football game I weigh the value versus the cost. $20 to park, $30 for a ticket in the nosebleed section and $5.00 for a cup of warm flat beer is no value. Plus watching the Saints, better to watch the high school games at home.

My only solution the parking ripoffs is to park at my office in the garage and walk to the event, typically four blocks either way. Since I pay a monthly fee already the parking cost is covered. Events don't happen that often since I don't watch football or basketball anyway.

Watch the news, when they report rising oil prices the pump price goes up immediatly. When the news reports falling prices the pump price is slow to drop.

South Cache

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Pirsig

conductorx_jpg_160.jpgWeb Hosting

south_cache_logo_150.gif