Self-made 1st aid kits

I've been thinking of making micro-1st aid kits as a trade item- basically a few bandages, sterile gauze suqare, alchol wipes, anticeptic cream, and sting relief cream packets. I'd probably put them in a small ziptop baggie, and label it as a micro first aide kit. All the supplies would be the individually packaged, single-serve kind you find in most 1st aide kits.

Do you guys think this would make a good trade item?

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Perhaps you could go to the sewing notions store, grab a pack of quilting squares, sew them into pockets, fill them with stuff, add some buttons or ties and voila! A more personal touch than a zip lock baggie. Go all the way and cut your own squares and silkscreen them with you avatar.... stop me, I'm getting ideas....

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

[This message was edited by Planet on January 07, 2003 at 02:14 PM.]

I voted that it was a good idea, but I wouldn't trade for them. The only reason is that I have about 4-5 first aid kits around the house and in the car, so I don't really need another one. But if I didn't have any, or injured myself on the way to the cache and found one of these in there, I would be all over it. I love first-aid kits (I guess that's the Eagle Scout in me), and almost always have one with me, and I really like the idea of personally made items.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Definitely a good idea. Though I wouldn't trade for it icon_smile.gif

I like to see something different in caches, but I never cease to be amazed at what others will collect, that I would consider rubbish. (I don't think this idea is rubbish, though)

There's something for everyone

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

I think the idea sounds great, although I probably wouldn't trade for one unless my usual supplies were out and I was in need.

Being a pharmacy student, and having nurses for parents means that you find yourself with a lot of first aid items. icon_smile.gif

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

Lots of "great ideas" being thrown around here so I guess its time for me to piss on this idea.

First I like the idea also but the part that concerns me is with the sterile (Free from live bacteria or other microorganisms: a sterile operating area; sterile instruments. ) aspect of the whole thing. I would be concerned about using the band aids, gauze, creams ect. I understand that they would be in ziplock baggies but I wouldn't trust them either. Maybe I'm a very un-trusting person but when it comes to those types of things I will provide my own. I don't know how well many of those things would hold up in a dark ammo box during the summers, cold in the winters. Just seems like there is too much room for error and it could come back to hurt someone.

Just my paranoid dimes worth.

Again, I do like the idea but question it.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

UMC...Do you keep your own 1st aid kit at work, because you don't trust the one your employers provide? icon_wink.gif

Most of the cremes/wipes I've seen in kits have an expiry date- at least something minimal to go by wheather it's good or not...

I understand about leaving the stuff all summer/winter in an ammo can, but then, how is that different from the 1st aide supplies in my 'roadside emergency' kit I leave in my car, to freeze and cook? icon_wink.gif Maybe I should ditch that kit, who knows what's happened to my band-aids in there! (picturing a molten pile of pink goo, now frozen)

In the great outdoors, you're never gonna have anywhere near a sterile environment, but I think the general sentiment is 'something is better than noting' and a band-aide will at least keep more dirt from getting on a scrape until you can go home and take better care of yourself. I'm not intending this to be a substitue for a real 1st aid kit, just something handy for cachers to take care of the more common scratches and scrapes that come with wandering off-path in a forest, or as something handy to throw in a purse or daypack, 'just in case'.

As always, it's up to the discretion of the finder/user. And of course, if I needed to take care of a minor scrape I'd never use anything unless it's individual packet was still sealed tight....

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

[This message was edited by Squirrel Nut on January 10, 2003 at 05:56 AM.]

Well I complained about it but I may just have to go out early tomorrow morning and see what these things are all about. Thinking about hitting your first cache before work SN.

We'll see how I feel in the morning.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

What you have is an "oweee" kit. All that stuff will stop your kid from crying or make you feel totally inadequate in a real emergency. Think trauma. None of that stuff will save a life. Think LARGE bandages. Include at least two, entrance/exit wound for gunshots. Couple packages or "Curlex" useful for many things to include stuffing in the wound to control bleeding. Space blanket helps for shock. Bee sting kit. If you can get it, IV fluid and a couple of large bore catheters. 5-6 cravats for splinting/bandaging/ tourniquet. Cell phone, spare batteries for GPS, strobe light, smoke grenades, VS-17 panel, pen-flares for signaling the life-flight. Now you have a start of a good first-aid kit and not a feel good do nothing "first-aid" kit. But hey its just my opinion.

I work in EMS and don't use most of those items in any given week. Are gunshot wounds really a major concern for geocaching?! Maybe I need to find a new game... icon_eek.gif

I do carry first aid stuff with us, 4x4's, betadine, an ace wrap, and lots of tape. A good tape job can fix most anything...

I like the idea of a mini first aid kit. I voted good idea/wouldn't trade 'cause we always carry stuff but I like the concept. Like others, I like the personal touch when it comes to trades.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.

Duc996---

Curlex? Hmm.. now that's an application I never thought of... icon_wink.gif we are talking about the wood fiber matting more commonly used to pervent erosion and keep people off newly seeded areas of turf, yes?

purring alien-

As for film canisters, I experimented with that, but you can't really fit much into one (I originally thought of the thing because we made them once at Girl Scout Day camp- a quarter to place a phone call, and a couple of band-aids in a film canister). It'll work fine for a couple band-aids and maybe a wipe packet or 2, but even then stuff gets bunched up, and I'd worry about the seams on the band-aids opening up. I've got a bunch of small ziptop baggies- the type you get for beads from a craft store (pretty cheap, too- 100 for about $2). Those work great, and I did sortof personalize it by inserting a paper label I printed with "Geocacher's Micro First Aid Kit" on it, with a list of contents and my avitar pict.

I voted I liked the idea (and as of yesterday, have traded for it icon_wink.gif

As I was comparing the items to the first aid kit I was carring in my day pack, it measured up quite nicely and takes up much less room and I can always replenish it as the items get used.

One addition I did make to the kit was a first aid guide (there's an on-line version link below)

http://www.firstaidonly.com/corp/divisions/retail/first_aid_guide/

No, it's not all incompassing, and maybe you considered and decided against it, just thought I'd share... and thanks!

Linda

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Duc996:

...strobe light, smoke grenades, VS-17 panel, pen-flares for signaling the life-flight. Now you have a start of a good first-aid kit and not a feel good do nothing "first-aid" kit. But hey its just my opinion.

Totally unworkable. Where's the portable defibrillator? Helicopter for evacuation? CT scanner? You call this a complete list?