Depleted Cache Contents... Not a new topic...but I need to vent!

Us 5 Camp

I know this is NOT a new topic, but I am amazed at how a well stocked cache can be run down to almost nothing.

Do people believe this to be "free" shopping?

I stocked three caches with a good quality and quantity of adult and child items. On my latest maintenance check, I found one of my caches nearly empty and what was left behind was mostly junk, broken, severly used, etc...... icon_frown.gif

I know there's no real way to avoid this, but it amazes me how people's consciences work. "Let's see, I'll take two rolls of electrical tape, a couple of Post-It pads, a toy for my kid and I'll leave this matchbook with two matches left. Yep, that seems about right."

Thanks for letting me vent....

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

Perfect for the complaint dept thread. I posted something similar there. Someone traded a brand new USB Network card with drivers that I left for two mints. Go figure. Your not supposed to even be leaving food in caches. I think it is their sig item because I have pulled them out of caches before.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

...to simply stock your cache with items of low intrinsic value.

Then again, I'm among those who geocaches for the 'hunt', not the 'prize'; as long as I find a logbook in the cache, anything else it may contain is gravy. One of my son's favorite cache 'prizes' was a six-pack of wooden clothes pins (we left behind a brand new $7 Canadian GeoCoin ...go figure).

I have run across this a lot. I look at the list of items the cacher placed in the cache the first time, and can with almost certainty plan on not finding anything like that content in the cache.

I am starting to use these new public domain logos to start making signature items. My new cache will have signature items in the cache only.

As a previous poster suggested, these have low intrinsic value and other than as a collectible from the cache, they have no value. Hopefully this will improve things. The cache will be launched this weekend, so we will soon see.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

After loosing about $20-25 worth of goodies in my traditional cache to raiders, I am now only setting micro's. Can't fit lots of goodies of worth in them, unless people would like to exchange gems! icon_wink.gif

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.

You know, this whole cache degradation phenomenon has been foreign to me until very recently. First, I don't ever trade, so it's rare that I give the cache contents a good looking-over. Also, and I don't know if this is just local or what, but I often noticed that there was some pretty cool stuff in the caches I found. Not stuff I necessarily want, but decent things that people might trade for.

Anyway, the other day I go hunt for a new cache in the area. The hider has a reputation for stocking his caches with good stuff, and even going back to restock occasionally, so when I opened the ammo box and found mostly crap, I was surprised. I even read throught the dozen or so log entries, and almost everyone (all but one or two people, if I remember) recorded what they traded.

I went through each item to see where it went. In the end, there were about five or six items that were unaccounted for--namely the good stuff.

What the hell happens to that stuff?

Jamie

Take a look at this onehttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15058

GC3AD2

I put out a cache with $400.00 of stuff from Geocaching.com,$240.00 of Garmin and Map Source Stuff and a toaster yes a toaster and it took about six weeks to end uo with a value of less than $40.00 and I am quite happy that a lot of cachers had a good time and if I had not wanted the stuff to be taken I should have left a eatemup toys

When I vist a cache I leave something if it will fit and rarily take anything ita all about finding the cache................JOE icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Us 5 Camp:

I know this is NOT a new topic, but I am amazed at how a well stocked cache can be run down to almost nothing.

I know there's no real way to avoid this, but it amazes me how people's consciences work. "Let's see, I'll take two rolls of electrical tape, a couple of Post-It pads, a toy for my kid and I'll leave this matchbook with two matches left. Yep, that seems about right."

Thanks for letting me vent....

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/49061_400.gif

Yeah postit pads and electrical tape...that's what I look for in a well stocked cache. J/K

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Sad but true. The goodies are taken by people. They take a small item, leave a better item, and log it, bragging about trading up. icon_biggrin.gif

Then they snag the goodie that they want but can't trade up to. Since it isn't logged, you cannot be sure just who got it. icon_frown.gif

Now, I am not saying all cachers do this. I am not even sure it is correct. But it is the only explaination I have come up with. Part of it may be that our border community is an economically depressed area, and disposable cash isn't real abundant. Here is what I did to get an idea of who it might be.

My first cache was quite a hike to get to, so I only visited it infrequently. It caught 7734 (read it upside-down). I didn't know what to expect. After talking to a few other cache hiders, I had some idea.

My next cache was a real close but well hidden one. Every time someone logged it, I rode my bicycle out and took inventory. It was easy to see who took what, unless the cache were discovered and robbed. So while I am not sure, I think I know which crew leaves used McToys. Two crews, with multiple kids in fact.

My final solution... I go into the $$$ store with about $25-30, and I limit the cache to that. After all, the fun is in the find, right? I don't sweat it if $25 comes up pilfered. As long as the ammo-box is still there, OK. You would be surprised what you can get in a $$$ store. The stop watches and imitation Swiss Army Knives seem to be the most popular. And I really don't care if the kids take and don't trade anymore. They are off the street, having clean fun, and getting exercise. Good enouogh for me. Of course, it is only my solution, YMMV.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

It appears that caches around my area get degraded fairly quick as well. Some folks think they deserve a "prize" for finding a cache. I don't think that was ever the intent of the contents.

Revisiting one of my caches that had originally contained some not to bad stuff. I found it contained basically crap.

I wonder if it would be too snotty to state on the cache page or in the log book intro. to "only trade items of similar value."

quote:
"Yeah postit pads and electrical tape...that's what I look for in a well stocked cache.

J/K"

Maybe the electric tape should be used to secure the good stuff to the cache! icon_wink.gif

Charlie

X-queeze me but.... The electrical tape (various colors in cases) and Post-It's have been the most pilferred items in my caches. I have access to more, so it's not even the value so much as the lack of courtesy in trading "like" valued items.

Perhaps the answer is to stock a cache with "true crap", that way nobody would be trading up and any item placed might likely be an improvement?

[This message was edited by Us 5 Camp on October 17, 2002 at 05:18 PM.]

Every time this topic comes up my snot boils. Is it really so difficult to think, "Would I trade for this item if it were in the cache already?"

I must be entirely too idealistic. I know that I don't want a naked troll doll that's been chewed by a dog, so I just assume that nobody would litter a cache with it. It seems that every cache I visit anymore has been degraded to become a weather tight repository for plasic crap.

I only just broke the 20 find level and there is only ONE item I have saved because I thought it was cool. (Not at all valuable but cool.) I was shocked that even my son doesn't want to trade anymore. He just shakes the can a bit and puts his trade item back in his pocket.

I was pleasantly surprised when his cache was traded down so much that I *****ed about it in the forums and a number of great folks offered to mail me things to put into it.

Like anything else there are good people and human trash. Sadly the "trash" has discovered geocaching.

Whew..........thanks for the vent! icon_wink.gif

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Yeah it is a annoyance. I think that when you stock a cache with nice stuff, many Geocachers are so used to finding nothing but used McToys, they don't bring anything decent to trade. Then they find the cache and see something interesting, so they take it anyway and leave whatever junk they brought along.

Often people seem to think its OK if they take something nice as long as they leave a lot of junk. I've often seen trades like "Took Leatherman tool, left a golf tee, pretty stone, plastic comb, toy soldier and pack of Spiderman stickers".

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

We went to a cache last weekend that originally contained $100. Operation Western Command

Those before us took $10 each and left their standard (worth much less than $10) trade items. We took $10 and left a cheapo pencil sharpener. As I noted in my log, it didn't feel right, but everyone else did it. We still feel guilty - just because everyone else does it doesn't make it the right thing to do, so we plan to go back this weekend to leave something nicer.

I think we've seen previous discussions from people who are of the opinion that if you don't trade you're not geocaching. Under that philosophy, what do you do when you have a $2 or $3 item in your bag of goodies and you come to a cache loaded with $5-$10 items?

I trade when I see something I want. Over all, I rarely trade so I don't get worked up about trash in a cache. But often, trash is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people in this thread did not the a roll of electrical tape was a worthy item. Others do think it's a good item. If I needed a roll of tape when I came to the cache, then I guess it'd be a really good item at that time. Again, trash is in the eye of the beholder.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Choosing a special item from a cache can be an extra thrill. Not discounting the foibles of human nature... to reach out and taking a good thing, it's not surpising how caches degrade.

I always thought the beauty or uniqueness of a location should stand on its own, but a cache is obviously many things to many people. Kind of like life.

Geocaching is also about discovering various levels of finesse and personal styles, as all these values lessons keep cropping up. Here's more food for thought...

On Giving

You often say, "I would give, but only to the deserving."

The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pasture.

They give that they may live, for to withold is to perish.

Surely he who is worthy to receive his days and his nights, is worthy of all else from you.

And he who has deserved to drink from the ocean of life deserves to fill his cup from you little [cache]stream. Kahlil Gibran

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

quote:

...I have access to more, so it's not even the value so much as the lack of courtesy...

We have an open "office supplies" locker where I work, too! icon_wink.gif

Worldtraveler

I don't need to raid any locker, we make the stuff..... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

We have an open "office supplies" locker where I work, too! icon_wink.gif

I don't need to raid any locker, we make the stuff..... icon_biggrin.gif

I am *so* jealous. I'd rather work where cool office supplies are free than to work in an ice cream or candy factory.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

It's funny that this thread was started, after an incident I had last week.

Recently, I was thrilled to find a good source of different hockey team stickers that had been marked way down. Normally, these packs would cost between $3-$7. Since I'm a hockey fan, I thought it would be a cool, kinda signature item to leave in caches. Bought all the decals the store had.

Now, I know that not everyone likes the sport, but I figured that some folks would be thrilled to find them. I know I would be. But last week, I get an email from another cacher (not the owner), chewing me out for leaving trash. I don't even know if I took anything, because I had left them in several caches that weekend. Of the things we did trade for, one was a little highlighter, a postcard, etc...nothing high dollar. I dunno, maybe they didn't like the team or something. But to say I was leaving trash, when it was something that some people might find cool seemed awfully harsh. Between that, once being gently called out on the log for accidently splitting a prize, and a virtual owner who won't verify mine and the Kiddo's find...it's kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. This is all in just 9 finds. (10, if you count the virt.)

I guess my point is, what may be junk to some may be cool to others, especially if you're dealing with kids (or hockey freaks, apparently!). I would think that if you're worried about "cheap" finders plundering your high dollar cache, then maybe make it a tough find, so someone has to work at it...and keep kids to a minimum. Not everyone is carrying a $30 gadget to trade...and that little troll doll may be the greatest thing in the world to the person who left it.

Sorry, just had to vent. It's been eating at me for a week now. I think I'll keep my GPS off for a while, and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

edited to add~ FYI..the person that emailed me did not log any finds on my finds. Don't know if they just didn't log it, or made their judgement from my logs. Either way, I have no idea who it was or which cache they were referring to.

Geocaching by day...hockey at night!

Life is good icon_biggrin.gif

There are a lot of good comments here. I hope those reading this topic will take my poll called "WHAT USUALLY HAPPENS TO YOUR CACHES".

I certainly agree that this isn't a new topic but to some it's an important one. To me, what eventually happens to most of my caches is very frustrating and disappointing..

I don't have a ton of money to spend on geocaching but I do try to put "treasures" in that are worth say $2.00 to $5.00 each. There are too many caches that are filled with Dollar Store stuff or just plain junk. The Dollar Store things are OK if that's all one can afford. Geocaching is, after all, a hide and find activity - not Christmas.

I try to put something in my caches for all members of a family (mom, pop, boy-kid, girl-kid and even dog/cat). I put things in that I think folks would really like to have and keep (or use up like a can of 100% DEET Off). I put things in that people would feel good about putting into someone else's cache if they didn't want to keep them for themselves.

Here's how I avoid degrading caches that I find: I keep a collection of things in my geo-pack of various levels of cost and quality. These things range from one step above junk all the way to $5.00 to $10.00 items. I make sure that all items are fairly small so they don't take up to much room in my pack or weigh me down. If I find a junky cache, guess what I put in. I also believe in the TNLN method.

One last thought: I love finding caches with unique signature items in them. And I don't mean a simple calling card. The perfect example would be the wonderful painted rocks left by Lone Ranger & Tonto of Klamath Falls, OR. These are REAL treasures.

If you've read this far, please vote in my poll.

eagle_fly3_cld_md_wht.gif

I'm out of my mind right now but you can leave a beep after the message.

quote:
Originally posted by Seesthewind and Redwoodmama:

I certainly agree that this isn't a new topic but to some it's an important one. To me, what eventually happens to most of my caches is very frustrating and disappointing..

I don't have a ton of money to spend on geocaching but I do try to put "treasures" in that are worth say $2.00 to $5.00 each. There are too many caches that are filled with Dollar Store stuff or just plain junk. The Dollar Store things are OK if that's all one can afford. Geocaching is, after all, a hide and find activity - not Christmas.

I try to put something in my caches for all members of a family (mom, pop, boy-kid, girl-kid and even dog/cat). I put things in that I think folks would really like to have and keep (or use up like a can of 100% DEET Off). I put things in that people would feel good about putting into someone else's cache if they didn't want to keep them for themselves.

Here's how I avoid degrading caches that I find: I keep a collection of things in my geo-pack of various levels of cost and quality. These things range from one step above junk all the way to $5.00 to $10.00 items. I make sure that all items are fairly small so they don't take up to much room in my pack or weigh me down. If I find a junky cache, guess what I put in. I also believe in the TNLN method.

Will have to make an effort to carry at least one premium item to trade across and put some better stuff in my cache and see what happens.

I understand (even more) the principle of trading like value for like value, but this is nowhere in any Geocaching rules or FAQs that I, or especially a new user, could find.

I happen to appreciate YOUR rules about cache items, but wouldn't expect anyone else to know what they are, let alone follow them. Maybe some new languge could be included in the FAQs?

If the cache owner demands reciprocity, they could always make it clear in the cache instructions and ASK!

Although this principle of reciprosity may seem obvoius, I think some education is required, otherwise caches wouldn't be comming up depleted.

Cache depletion appears to be a predictable and "natural" occurence, why expect otherwise?

Here's the "official" info on cache item exchanges...

"Step 4 ? The Find

Huzzah! You found the cache! Congratulations! Now what?

Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book."

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

"Remember, if you take something, its only fair for you to leave something in return. Items in a bucket cache could be: Maps, books, software, hardware, CD's, videos, pictures, money, jewelry, tickets, antiques, tools, games, etc."

----------

Greenjeens

quote:
I understand (even more) the principle of trading like value for like value, but this is nowhere in any Geocaching rules or FAQs that I, or especially a new user, could find.

There is no rule, but there is a thing called courtesy.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

You know something just occured to me...

This occured to me as I was exchanging a laser pointer kit for a 50 cent piece today, if everyone traded up, soon the caches would have so much super cool and expensive stuff that, if followed to its logical conclusion, it would overflow with rolexs, diamond tiaras, Gucci handbags and keys to the porche parked outside.

We need the cheapskates and skinflints out there to make us feel good about ourselves for going all out with our $2-$6 purchases. And besides, there is also the moraly superior thing to get off on also!

I love it all.

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

I usually only trade "Where's George" dollars, and if a cache I visit doesn't contain any, I usually take nothing and leave a George or two anyway. For me, it's about the hunt.

Similarly, the caches I place are usually modest in scope; they usually contain a few Georges and probably $5 - $10 dollars worth of other items. I leave it up to those who visit my caches to trade fairly; I'll replenish the "Georges" on maintenance visits and remove broken/leaking items and drop off any trinkets/travel bugs that are in my possession, but that's about it. When I feel a cache has run its course and has become "seedy," I archive it.

On the other hand, I've been fortunate in being an early visitor to a large number of caches, and have had the opportunity to see first-hand the quality of the original contents of those caches. I've got to comment that many of our local cachers (BrianSnat deserves special mention ... so does The Artful Dodger for his terrific travel bugs) really go all out in placing quality items in their caches. More power to them ... and if you visit such a cache, trade fairly!

I don't know about any of you guys, but when I get to a cache, I trade as fairly as I can. So, I have at all times 3 grades of items to trade as fairly as possible. Honestly, I believe that one has to have "code of honor" to be a respectable player in this sport: if you don't have what you need to trade fairly, have the decency to just leave a log in the book. No one will blame you for it.

Just my 2 cents.

A cache a day keeps the blues away...

Confession time:

There have been a couple of times when I've been out with friends who haven't cached before when I've allowed them to take something from the cache that was of greater value than what I left.

On other occasions, I've taken nothing, and left something to try to make my overall participation to the sport neutral.

Because of geography (I don't know if I'll ever make it back to Maui), I doubt I'll ever go back to some of the caches where I left the cache less well off than I found it.

I haven't placed my first cache yet, but hope to do so over Christmas. I do plan to take the dollar store approach & replenish as needed.

I think I've contributed a couple of new cachers to the community, and have overall traded even, but recognize that there are some cache owners I've slighted.

But after reading this thread, there's a few cache owners I might try to contact to make amends.

- Sue

Confession time:

There have been a couple of times when I've been out with friends who haven't cached before when I've allowed them to take something from the cache that was of greater value than what I left.

On other occasions, I've taken nothing, and left something to try to make my overall participation to the sport neutral.

Because of geography (I don't know if I'll ever make it back to Maui), I doubt I'll ever go back to some of the caches where I left the cache less well off than I found it.

I haven't placed my first cache yet, but hope to do so over Christmas. I do plan to take the dollar store approach & replenish as needed.

I think I've contributed a couple of new cachers to the community, and have overall traded even, but recognize that there are some cache owners I've slighted.

But after reading this thread, there's a few cache owners I might try to contact to make amends.

- Sue

quote:

I don't think there is any need to do that. But if you feel really guilty, just make sure your first cache is well stocked. That way you can call it even icon_wink.gif

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:

I don't think there is any need to do that. But if you feel really guilty, just make sure your first cache is well stocked. That way you can call it even icon_wink.gif

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by jrav:

We went to a cache last weekend that originally contained $100. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37862

Those before us took $10 each and left their standard (worth much less than $10) trade items. We took $10 and left a cheapo pencil sharpener. As I noted in my log, it didn't feel right, but everyone else did it. We still feel guilty - just because everyone else does it doesn't make it the right thing to do, so we plan to go back this weekend to leave something nicer.

Bets that the number watching this cache increased because jrav announced a willingness to "do the right thing"? Anyone know?

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

quote:
Originally posted by jrav:

We went to a cache last weekend that originally contained $100. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37862

Bets that the number watching this cache increased because jrav announced a willingness to "do the right thing"? Anyone know?

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

We're a family of 5 who enjoy geocaching because it doesn't cost a lot of money. We're not low income by any means, but we can't afford to put 5-10 dollar items in every cache either. We usually leave a goecache magnet that we make and sometimes we leave a wooden goecache keychain that we also make. If we really like the cache, we'll leave something else worth more in addition to the magnet. I think everyone's idea of treasure may be different.

We all know that caches deplete over a period of time.....it's a given. I think if the cache owner doesn't want this to happen, they should make it a members only and make a note that you only want people that will trade 5-10 dollar items. That should keep the riff-raff out.

For those of you trying to figure out who left the geo-trash by going to your cache after each log..........Many people that play this game don't log. In fact I'm willing to bet that a majority of them don't log. I've met a couple of them out in the trenches.

We are in the planning stage of our first hide. We've already decided that we will have to go replenish the cache once a month or so........we know that some folks will leave junk that we don't care for, but i guess we're in the hide for the gift factor.......as long as people enjoy the hide.........we're happy!

worried.gif Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Johnson's:

We all know that caches deplete over a period of time.....it's a given. I think if the cache owner doesn't want this to happen, they should make it a members only and make a note that you only want people that will trade 5-10 dollar items.

I've done only three "MOCs;" two of them were later converted to regular caches. Except for their designation as MOCs, there was really no difference between those caches and any other well thought out and implemented cache I have visited. (In fact, in two cases the cache owners told me they had started their cache as a MOC in order to see what the audit list was all about.)

There are now so many 'subscribing members' that I doubt making a cache a MOC and specifying the quality of item to trade would have any positive impact; I think it would more likely entice a few pranksters to visit the cache in order to intentionally trade down.

quote:

We all know that caches deplete over a period of time.....it's a given. I think if the cache owner doesn't want this to happen, they should make it a members only and make a note that you only want people that will trade 5-10 dollar items.

I've done only three "MOCs;" two of them were later converted to regular caches. Except for their designation as MOCs, there was really no difference between those caches and any other well thought out and implemented cache I have visited. (In fact, in two cases the cache owners told me they had started their cache as a MOC in order to see what the audit list was all about.)

There are now so many 'subscribing members' that I doubt making a cache a MOC and specifying the quality of item to trade would have any positive impact; I think it would more likely entice a few pranksters to visit the cache in order to intentionally trade down.

Just adding my vent here. I'd been pleased to see that one of my caches was accumulating some nice stuff. In one week, a "hikers essentials kit" and a mini tackle box were left. Then some numnutz comes along and takes both items...leaving 2 used ballpoint pens and a 10-cent rubber ball. Yep, that's a fair trade...NOT. ;o)

quote:

...We usually leave a goecache magnet that we make and sometimes we leave a wooden goecache keychain that we also make. If we really like the cache, we'll leave something else worth more in addition to the magnet. I think everyone's idea of treasure may be different...

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Personally, I can't imagine a better trade item than your homemade magnets or keychains. (Perhaps a road trip is in order.)

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.