GPS device fitted under the skin

Dekaner

Applied Digital Solutions (ADS) of Palm Beach, Florida is developing a Global Positioning System device that can be fitted under a person’s skin. It will be powered by a battery similar to a heart pacemaker. The GPS device will broadcast the location of the person so they can be found if they wander away from home or are kidnapped. ADS expects to have prototypes ready early in 2004. For details see http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=1280634

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

As far as I'm concerned 'big brother' is already dipping too far into my business. Next thing you know it will be mandatory to get a GPS transmitter implanted...along with a DNA sample.

...it starts with pets getting a 'chip' implanted under the skin so they are identifiable when they are found after running away, people see what a good it is then there is a 'chip' under the kids skin....and so it begins.

conspiracy theory or inevitability....

Chip

So far this thread is bashing the idea. But like everything it has it's place. Ever deal with dimensia (sp?) Than can and do wander off and they can and do get lost and hurt if not killed. Every year I hear in the news about someone who wandered off and got lost who had dimensia.

No I don't want big brother watching me. But I don't want to hear that my grandmother has wandered off and got hit on the interstate that is nearby.

Okay, well, I don't want my grandmother to wander off either, and I don't want my children to be kidnapped, etc... but, I also don't want my grandmother or my children to live under the type of conditions that this is leading us to. I'm sorry, great technological innovation is one thing, vive' la technology, but, enough is enough.

Big Brother is the least of your worries folks, there are much worse things out there, and we don't want to let them loose. The only way to get populations to allow such a device to become a common use item is to FIRST make it seem like something you can't live without. Even though we've been living without this forever!!!

Keep an eye on grandma, don't let her wander out into traffic... keep your kids safe, and for God's sake, keep fido on a leash... sheesh...LOL.

No, not for me, not for my kids, not for my mom, grandmom, or any other family member..... and certainly not for a pet... good grief. icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Okay, well, I don't want my grandmother to wander off either, and I don't want my children to be kidnapped, etc... but, I also don't want my grandmother or my children to live under the type of conditions that this is leading us to. I'm sorry, great technological innovation is one thing, vive' la technology, but, enough is enough.

Big Brother is the least of your worries folks, there are much worse things out there, and we don't want to let them loose. The only way to get populations to allow such a device to become a common use item is to FIRST make it seem like something you can't live without. Even though we've been living without this forever!!!

Keep an eye on grandma, don't let her wander out into traffic... keep your kids safe, and for God's sake, keep fido on a leash... sheesh...LOL.

No, not for me, not for my kids, not for my mom, grandmom, or any other family member..... and certainly not for a pet... good grief. icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Not too sure this has anything to do with the whole 666 "mark of the beast" thing. That will be something you will either take or die...it has not come to that, yet! This company offers the device in other forms such as bracelets and such. It does not have to be under the skin and can be easily removed which may be a good or bad thing depending on the situation. If it becomes affordable enough to tag my four children (non-permanently) I will do it. However right now there is a monitoring fee which would not quite fit into the budget...I'll just do it the old fashioned way...watch my children with my own eyes!

JNC

I like J.I.'s slogan of "You are the search engine!"

I had no idea it would become so literal! icon_biggrin.gif

I can imagine it now...

"Whenever Joel wakes up, he has to slowly, at a steady pace, rotate in two complete circles to re-align his electronic compass"

"Hmm... Joel and Fran's house is creepy... all of their furniture points *exactly* due north!"

"Why, when I drive Joel around town, does he slowly turn his head, as if he is looking at a single spot?" "Oh, he's just pointing towards the nearest cache."

"Why is Joel muttering under his breath... 0.6, 0.5, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 520, 500, 490, 480, ...?"

I like J.I.'s slogan of "You are the search engine!"

I had no idea it would become so literal! icon_biggrin.gif

I can imagine it now...

"Whenever Joel wakes up, he has to slowly, at a steady pace, rotate in two complete circles to re-align his electronic compass"

"Hmm... Joel and Fran's house is creepy... all of their furniture points *exactly* due north!"

"Why, when I drive Joel around town, does he slowly turn his head, as if he is looking at a single spot?" "Oh, he's just pointing towards the nearest cache."

"Why is Joel muttering under his breath... 0.6, 0.5, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 520, 500, 490, 480, ...?"

In a few years, according to Darwin, the humans born will have a biological GPS receiver from the beginning. The body will notice the signals from space, and develop a receiver. Those who have it will have an easier lift, so they'll outcompete whose who don't have it.

Don't believe me? Well, none of us will live to see it, so it doesn't matter! icon_biggrin.gif

Anders

In a few years, according to Darwin, the humans born will have a biological GPS receiver from the beginning. The body will notice the signals from space, and develop a receiver. Those who have it will have an easier lift, so they'll outcompete whose who don't have it.

Don't believe me? Well, none of us will live to see it, so it doesn't matter! icon_biggrin.gif

Anders

I think it has great possibilities. I work with nursing homes and assisted living facilities for the elderly and one of their biggest concerns (and problems) is that residents are always "escaping." They then search the local area in hopes that they'll find this person (usually with dementia) safely.

So how dp they deal with being indoors? How are you going to find your kid if they're in a basement?

I know they have it for animals already, we were offered the device for our cat. If she wants to be fed, she'll always come back.

Grandpa is a different story. He wandered away from my wedding reception, but he was OK. Nursing homes should keep better watch over their residents. That's what they're paid for.

Geocaching Carolinas