Coordi-WHAT!?

Guest ruttencutter

Guest ruttencutter

Um, can someone verify this for me? Using the 'Translate Coordinates' link found on our cache pages under the WGS-84 East West Coordinates, I get completely goofed Degree Decimal conversions (on the Jeep site).

Here is the url:

http://www.jeeep.com/details/coord/

By comparing the Lat Long degrees in the links to the mapblast websites, I am getting huge amounts of error. I was trying to just check out my cache location on the map to make sure I at least got the right general area. After converting to decimal on the Jeep site, I was about 10 miles northwest of where my cache should have been.

My coords (no cache there yet)

N 42° 03.389 W 092° 53.034 (WGS-84)

That should show up slightly north east of the Marshalltown dot.. It is showing up way northwest. What the hill?

Any comments?

Thanks,

-Scott

Guest Prime Suspect

Street Atlas put that just NE of the T-intersection of 18th Ave and E Marion. That's about 1.3 miles (as the crow flies) from the town center.

Guest ruttencutter

Well, that is where it should be. I was really asking for help on getting my coordinates into MapBlast. That is the only tool that I currently have at my disposal.

Thanks,

-S

Guest Markwell

quote:
By comparing the Lat Long degrees in the links to the mapblast websites, I am getting huge amounts of error.

N 42° 03.389 W 092° 53.034

You could actually just do the math...

Take off the integers of the coordinates (42 and 92, and since it's W, it's -92). Then take the remaining stuff and divide by 60.

03.389/60= 0.05648333333333

53.034/60= 0.8839

Add the integers back on and the coordinates are

42.056483 -92.883900

Plug it into MapBlast, and I got a map marker on the Northeast corner of E Marion St. and 18th Avenue North in Marshall Town, Iowa (243 miles, bearing 280° from my front doorstep...)

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 14 June 2001).]

You should only rely on translation in your gps. A lot of people have found the jeeep.com translator to have errors. If you enter the cache coordinates into your gps, you then can go to your set up menu and change coordinates or datum on your navigation page. Also seach this forum and getting started and you will find people having topozone coordinates because one uses NAD27 and while geocaching uses WGS84.

Happy hunting.

Guest bunkerdave

I'm not much of a hacker, but I was able to set up an Excel sheet to do the conversion for me. I put the WGS-84 degree coords in a cell by themselves, then the minutes go in a separate cell. Do another cell that divides the contents of the minutes cell by 60, and add that back to the degrees, and there you go. It is really pretty common sense - like I said, I'm no hacker. The nice thing is that I can copy from the cache listings directly to the spreadsheet and I don't have to fiddle with a calculator, or trying to remember the numbers while I key them into the spreadsheet. My best mapping software, (Microsoft Streets & Trips) only uses UTM (as far as I know) so I have to make this conversion to use it. Does anyone know if I can use WGS-84 in that software? Would save me some time copying and pasting.

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 14 June 2001).]