One of the best cache containers ever!

Guest prospector

Guest prospector

I think I have discovered one of the best cache containers ever, if you are lucky, you can find them at garage sales for $1. They are the half gallon igloo watter jugs. They are not big enough for larger cache items, but they work awesome for smaller stuff and they are also very watter tight.

"Cache you latter"

Guest Todd Svec

That's what I used in my "Garden Cache". It has a screw on lid. I used a razor blade to cut off the lip and that gained about another 3/4" on the opening. Not big enough for CDs, but close.

Guest Quinnow

I still think the .50cal ammo cans are the greatest. They also are water and weather tight. I have taken one and placed a paper folder in it and left it sitting at the bottom of a pool for 24 hours weighted down with a rock, and not a drop of water inside. And I am sure not many people have to worry about a cache being placed under water so this is more than enough to keep things dry. Also it seems more treasure box looking than other things, more of a guy thingy do-dad typee of cache. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

I still think the .50cal ammo cans are the greatest. They also are water and weather tight. I have taken one and placed a paper folder in it and left it sitting at the bottom of a pool for 24 hours weighted down with a rock, and not a drop of water inside. And I am sure not many people have to worry about a cache being placed under water so this is more than enough to keep things dry. Also it seems more treasure box looking than other things, more of a guy thingy do-dad typee of cache. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest cache_ninja

do ammo containers rust?

near me lucien planted some brand new paint cans that were quite rusty only 5 months later. obviously ammo is diff. material, but i would think it would rust. I think my dad has one in the basement that is pretty bad. i hate rust(bad memories of seeing the road underneath me while a passanger in my dad's 65 Mustang which he continued to drive for decades while the floor rusted out)...

c/n

Guest 300mag

quote:
Originally posted by cache_ninja:

do ammo containers rust?

near me lucien planted some brand new paint cans that were quite rusty only 5 months later. obviously ammo is diff. material, but i would think it would rust. I think my dad has one in the basement that is pretty bad. i hate rust(bad memories of seeing the road underneath me while a passanger in my dad's 65 Mustang which he continued to drive for decades while the floor rusted out)...

c/n

WOW i hope you didn't have to brake like the Flintstone's ouch my feet. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest 300mag

quote:
Originally posted by cache_ninja:

do ammo containers rust?

c/n

WOW i hope you didn't have to brake like the Flintstone's ouch my feet. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest cleenjeep

I went out the other day to place an offset cache, with an igloo container like you suggested, and it fell out of my backpack on the trail when my friend pulled out the little shovel to carry for me, and the darn handly busted. Now I dont know how I can place it in the ground and have it pulled out without the darn handle. It actually broke in three places!! I hiked three miles to do this, and that was a bummer.. so be careful with your containers!! The handles are fragile. I will probably get a metal handle at the hardware store and screw it to the lid.

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest ddrevik

I think ammo containers are great, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone who uses them. I always use clear Tupperware or Rubbermaid containers just for the peace of mind of the people opening our caches.

Guest Quinnow

I have been using the .50cal ammo cans but I first scuff them up with sand paper and then drop two coats of primer on them followed by another two coats of paint. I had 4 sit out all winter long and not a speck of rust on them.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Team JackQuest

I have used the .50 and .30 cal ammo boxes with great results. I also take the time to paint and letter them which probably helps. They are a bit bulky when packing in to a placement but its all part of my conditioning regime. icon_smile.gif And the trek out is much more enjoyable.

------------------

TEAM JackQuest

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)

Guest Team JackQuest

I have used the .50 and .30 cal ammo boxes with great results. I also take the time to paint and letter them which probably helps. They are a bit bulky when packing in to a placement but its all part of my conditioning regime. icon_smile.gif And the trek out is much more enjoyable.

------------------

TEAM JackQuest

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)