Just need some opinions plz.....

I generally don't log locationless caches at all, mainly because I don't have a digital camera. I also like the idea of looking for a real container at some given coordinates better than the idea of locationless caches. However, if I had a digicam, I'd probably log a locationless every now and then - as a find.

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

On the few I've done, I've posted notes, not finds. It's not that I'm against them or anything, I just consider it a different game than geocaching and prefer my count to reflect what I consider geocaches.

In one case, I had my GPS with me but didn't think to take a reading. I used lostoutdoors to get the coordinates of the feature and posted it as a note with my pictures, stating in my log that that's what I did. This particular locationless allows doubles, so it's not preventing anyone else from logging it, and no one's going to complain that I'm padding my numbers or whatever.

I'm very interested in the new locationless section that should be here....well, soon, I guess.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

I enjoy locationless caches because I like to compose photo essays, and I like visiting cool places and finding things. But it's different than geocaching, so I'm looking forward to the new site when they'll be listed separately.

Right now, I've only logged about a dozen locationless caches. My rule has been that I'll only log it if I find it accidentally, while on my way to or from a traditional cache hunt.

I've also considered using a separate account to keep track of locationless finds, and I may yet do that if the new site design is delayed.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

I'm not crazy about them. There are some interesting ones, but it seems people make virtuals out of every roadside marker, no matter how uninteresting.

If I hapen to be in the area, I'll do one, but I won't go out of my way to find one. I do count them as finds.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'm not crazy about them. There are some interesting ones, but it seems people make virtuals out of every roadside marker, no matter how uninteresting.

There's a difference between virtuals and locationless.

I did a locationless awhile back. I was so excited because I just happened on it accidentally on my way home from work. There is a locationless cache to help a turtle safely across the road.

I saw a big turtle on our country road (where people fly, btw) and turned around, stopped traffic (at least in that lane, they went around me), pulled on my gloves that I happened to have in my caching bag (which stays in my car with me, just in case), and moved the sucker across the road. I loved it. I haven't logged it yet, but intend to as a find. I think they're fun. At least that one was. If they are counted differently at some point in the future, I don't much care. I just liked doing it. icon_smile.gif

Cheval

To finish is to win. www.aerc.org

A cache is a cache is a cache. Log them as found and move on with your life.

I've yet to do any locationless and I have no problems with them what so ever. Eventually if/when I get bored I may try and see what they are all about and do a bunch.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

Around here, there are only a few dozen real caches within about an hours drive, so it's nice to have something to be on the lookout for on the way. Generally, I only log one if I am going to/from another cache. If I'm driving 50 miles, I want a real cache to be waiting for me (I see virtuals the same way, kinda like a bonus while out finding traditional caches, but that's getting off topic I know) . I agree with RK, if they want to separate them later, that's fine. A few I have posted notes on, usually I log a find.

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

it seems people make virtuals out of every roadside marker, no matter how uninteresting.

Agreed, but our area is starving for caches, so I've learned that "Any cache is a good cache!" It's all about the hunt for us anyways...

quote:
Originally posted by Gaddiel & OrangeDanish:

Agreed, but our area is starving for caches, so I've learned that "Any cache is a good cache!" It's all about the hunt for us anyways...

Then what are you waiting for... grab some tupperware and McToys, there's work to be done... icon_wink.gif .

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.