What do you think about this guys Memo?

Guest Quinnow

Guest Quinnow

earch engine today... http://www.mapsurfer.com/geocaching.html#2

After reading it I had to take a few moments to figure out exactly what he was getting at.I wanted to post this on this sites forum as well as my own because views like this are important to think about. I think most of this persons comments are wrong and a bit overcast in the logic department, but I do have some concerns of my own that he didnt hit on.

One is that I think it is wrong for a company that sells GPSR's to make Geocaching commercial. On my site as well as this I am sure the goal is to promote Geocaching for people to enjoy and understand, I do my best to try and get people to read up on what to do and not to do before they go rushing out the door and into the woods. But I have noticed some GPSR retailers that have been offering cash prizes as well as product as a means to getting people into the retailers website. If you ask me the main goal of these GPSR retailers offering Geocaching on the sites is only to sell more equipment and nothing more. It's no different than if Garmin were to start a Geocaching site. Do you think it would be because they want people to get outdoors with a family or do you think it would be because they know Geocachers need a GPS to enjoy Geocaching and a quick buck is around the corner.

When the parks people and county people start seeing all these retailers of GPS equipment making websites offering prizes and cash to go Geocaching it is going to be certain that rules all over the place will start popping up telling us we can't place caches. I like the sport because I love the outdoors and the adventure,but I also do my best to clean-up the area while out as well as try not to damage the places I visit.

I hardly think this will be the main purpose for GPSR retailers, it will mostly be sell-sell-sell as the main priority and we will have people running around the woods who only care about one thing...winning that offered prize. I placed this on the other website which belongs to me at... www.navicache.com

I just wanted to be sure that you were able to see and form an opinion of your own instead of having me or others tell you what should or should not be done.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 18 August 2001).]

Guest jeremy

http://www.letterboxing.com/

http://www.letterboxing.org/

I consider letterboxing a "right brained" activity. Geocaching is more of a "left brained" activity. There are more left brained folks than right brained folks.

I will hold back on my opinions on letterboxing, just to say that the two sports are entirely different as are the people who play (generally). There are crossovers but it's on the rare side. You'll find letterboxers, at least the vocal ones, would abhor online logs, for example. I suggested once that I help merge the two activities into one site, but that's another story.

I read the commentary briefly and most of it could have been read the same way if the word "geocaching" was replaced with "letterboxing" - the only true difference is we're pretty open as to what we do and where the caches are. Letterboxes are much more difficult to maintain as a sport because they are fragmented and secretive as a rule. I have the option to have someone go out and remove a cache when a letterbox could become abandoned and unfindable.

As for the whole geocaching as treasure hunting, I've been thinking about that and think it's more of a game of hide and seek. But truly the treasures you're hunting are more inside your head than inside a tupperware container or ammo box. I would suppose most letterboxers would agree that collecting obscure stamps in letterboxes is not the ultimate reward.

Frankly overanalyzing anything takes the fun out of it.

Jeremy

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by Quinnow:

I found this page via a search engine today... http://www.mapsurfer.com/geocaching.html#2

It's interesting that on his home page one of the first sentences to describe the sport HE is into says, "Sport Orienteering ("O" for short) is an intense, off-trail running race thru the woods... ".

Off-trail? Is that something he should be doing?

I wonder if he receives permission ahead of time for the "Sport Orienteering" events?

[This message has been edited by c.mathis (edited 18 August 2001).]

Guest makaio

He also mentions that 'we' geocachers seem to think the permission rules don't apply to us. I'm curious how many of his few dozen letterboxes he asked permission to place? He's got one on Steens Mountain here in Oregon. Did he ask permission to place it? Maybe I should contact the Steens land manager and let him know about it. Or go remove it myself. But then I'd be just as low as those others who feel they need to police the land themselves.

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

quote:
Originally posted by Quinnow:

ok...same site and main page now.

http://www.mapsurfer.com/ if you look at the picture you will notice this fellow (or at least someone good enough to make it on the main front) jumping over a downed tree in a very nice feeld of Ivy. Tisk-Tisk, and no trail in site.

And?

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by EyezOfTheWorld:

And?

I think the point was directed at the guys comment, "Everyone else has to ask permission or follow the rules to use public land in the ways of their game, especially if it is off-trail, as geocaching is." Yet, his page shows someone running off-trail. It may seem a little hypocritical to some. In other words, it's OK for him to be off trail, but not geocachers.

I agree with Ron Streeter that commenting on his web site is a waste of time.

[This message has been edited by c.mathis (edited 18 August 2001).]

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Re: the dumb reply....

I have looked for a couple letterboxes... One was near Nauset Lighthouse, placed by someone who can't take care of it. Same guy moaned about missing LB's.. DUH ! LB is the same as GC in the eyes of the Nat'l Parks. I think this is a real bad flame, not going to reply to it. I wanted to place a couple caches early this summer, but without a "baby-sitter", I didn't. As geocachers, we leave a way to get in touch via computers. That's part of the " " (fill in blank, game, activity etc.)

I also don't throw trash into caches, I have dropped some nice fishing lures and items related, and some kitch that reflects my personality, as well as a few good items for kids and the few hike items.

I'll make a stamp in the future, A Boy Scout elder for my troop taught me the basics, now, as a Moldmaker, I'll make a great one...

'Nuff said

CCC