Need Advice about cache ideas in abandoned cemetery

Hello. Recently I found a small cemetery located in an industrial area behind a warehouse. It is one of those things you'd never knew existed unless someone told you about it, even if you often drove by or lived by the area. Aparently this small cemetery was my city's first city cemetery, or so a person told me. Moreover, this cemetery inters a revolutonary was hero.

However, the cemetery is in poor shape, and I feel confident that there are no surviving relatives that visit this place.

I would perhaps like to either hide a micro there, or failing that have it be some sort of virtual leg on a elsewhere-placed physical cache.

So my questions are what are my options? Would I need to contact the city and if so who would I contact and what would I say? Can one leave anything, such as micro or a plaque with the next leg's coordinates on it in a cemetery, or is that illegal? Any suggestions?

Please keep in mind this cemetery is basically abandoned, although it looks like the city comes and cuts the grass once in awhile. It is a *very* cool area very hard to find and I would like people to learn about it and/or discover it's existance.I mean it would be a great challenge just to find the place.

Thanks,

Loomis

A multi-cache in my area started in an old cemetary. The 'new' part of the cemetary is on adjacent land and is well-maintained. The old part must have been nice a long time ago, but I never would have known it was there without the cache.

It is probably better to use a headstone as a virtual puzzle that leads cachers to a container outside of the cemetary.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

You do a list of names.

The first part of your multi is the graveyard. The second from names within the graveyard.

Your list of names has bogus coordinates (but reasonable sounding) except for the one name you actually find at the cemetary.

One list for the lattitude and one for the longitude.

Pretty simple.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

In the course of geocaching, I've visited probably 3 dozen cemeteries or gravesites. I actually enjoy looking around the old cemeteries, teasing out a history that's 60 or 100 years old. If there is a cache-- bonus for me. And in the abandoned or neglected cemeteries, if one geocacher visits per day, then that's 15 or 20 minutes when a vandal won't tip over a gravestone. These are quiet reflective places, but I understand in Europe people even picnic at public cemeteries.

A couple of days ago, we cached through 8 pioneer cemeteries in the Stockton and Sacramento areas. Most had small containers placed discretely in the crotch of a large oak tree at the back. I find nothing profane or sacrilegious about these placements.

I can also say we have placed a cache can in a tangled eucalyptus grove bordering the service yard of a large cemetery. It's not an offset multi, but it could easily have been made that.

I am respectful in visiting, and I just do my best not to walk on marked graves... you know, step on a crack, break your mother's back.

oops. <snip> So my questions are what are my options? Would I need to contact the city and if so who would I contact and what would I say? Can one leave anything, such as micro or a plaque with the next leg's coordinates on it in a cemetery, or is that illegal? Any suggestions?

From a practical point of view, I've noticed that many cemetery boards post rules about object placements. Use those as a guideline. Visitors place flowers and sentimental objects all of the time, many times bending the posted rules. The groundskeepers may eventually groom away those items, but they often don't.

Your micro placement may be a thought of as a shrine to those departed. The logsheet would chronicle visitors, just like a guest book.

Whoa there - not everything is about geocaching! icon_eek.gif

If you know of a Revolutionary War hero there, there might be other veterans there as well.

There are many veteran organizations which would like to be informed of any abandoned gravesites.

Please take the time to drop an email to a couple in your area and remind them about this cemetery.

Did you see any flags on Memorial Day? If so, this might not be as abandoned as you think.

In any case, use your common sense in setting up any caches at this location - you don't want anything to come back and haunt you.

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

You need to consider the options presented, which include requiring a visit to the graveyard to collect information as part of a multi cache. The real cache would be hidden nearby, but not in the graveyard itself.

I don't think a virtual will work, if you have other options.

Try making one of the headstones years or names equate to a coordinate, or a bearing etc...

good luck

quote:
I like the option of a multi cache where you get the final coordinates off from the info on one of the headstones.

I got the idea from a cache I went to, Evergreen, when I created my first cache, Orchard Hill. They're each done a little differently. In my case, I own the lot where the final cache is located, and also got permission from the owner of the cemetery. In the case of Evergreen, it is a multi-part virtual cache, so there is no actual cache. I've also done Jacksboro Micro-Cache which is located in a cemetery.

Cemeteries seem to be good locations for caches, since they are usually considered public. Oh, how could I forget, my very first cache find, Graveyard Goodies, was in a cemetery!

I say go for a regular cache if the vegitation off to the side can hide the cannister. I happen to like cemetery caches. Even better is a multi using coords derived from several headstones- say find Jack Culpepper, the last two numbers in the year he was born = A, etc., then the final coords are at North 38 degrees A.BC West 122 degrees D.EF. If the cemetery is as abandoned as you describe, there probably is no need or even the ability to find somebody to get permission from.

Deer laugh when they hear my name!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon