Cache idea-vote now!

TEAM 360

Could someone put a Geocache site sticker on the back of their car and make a roving virtual cache? You could write the name of the cache on the site sticker. To get credit, you would have to email the owner of the cache the license plate number of the vehicle after you see it around town, either parked or driving. You might even get to run into a fellow Geocacher.

Sounds cool at first.

Then I see myself racing down the highway, one hand holding binoculars (to read the cache name and license number), the other hand writing down the info, all the while driving with my knees. hmmmm. maybe not.

17406_1700.jpg

woody: how would a beer feel, mr. peterson?

norm: pretty nervous if i was in the room.

Sounds like something cool, but it doesn't sound like a geocache. Where does the GPS come into play?

While on this topic though, it might be nice if there was some way to identify ourselves on our car. There was one time when my caching partner noticed a car with a geocaching.com sticker in front of her while driving. Never did figure out who it was.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Mopar sayz-

"Sounds like something cool, but it doesn't sound like a geocache. Where does the GPS come into play?"

You're right. No GPS needed, but then again, with some virtuals (monuments, famous places) you don't need a GPS either...Keep thinking, I would like to get the pros and cons of this thing and see if it could fly...

There was a cache a while back that was fairly similar, except that it was a tracking device built into a car, and you had to go to a website to find out its latest co-ords.

Can't find it now though, must have been archived.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Thanks for the plug on the avitar.

Now for your cache. Some ham guys had a thread on this about a year ago. Their version was to have a radio transmitter send out the GPS coords all the time. You literally could follow the coordinats. I have no idea if this was ever done.

Another guy did this by listing the coods his car was at at various times of the day. ie, work, lunch etc. He had a container on his spare tire somehow.

In this case it's not really a mobile cache, but could be done like one if you got lucky. It wouldn't be a traveling cache either there was a container and log though.

Anyway, the latter variation might be approvable with a little tweaking and work.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Jeff:

You're right. No GPS needed, but then again, with some virtuals (monuments, famous places) you don't need a GPS either...Keep thinking, I would like to get the pros and cons of this thing and see if it could fly...

OK, how about this:

quote:
Virtual Cache Posting Guidelines:

1.A virtual cache must be of a physical object that can be referenced through latitude and longitude coordinates. That object should be semi-permanent to permanent. Objects in motion (such as people, vehicles) do not count as a virtual cache, unless that item can be adequately tracked and updated on the web site (For example, a link to a tracker for a vehicle would be ok).

If I post the cache today, someone else should be able to find it tomorrow and the next day.

A trail is a trail, a beach is a beach, a view is a view; but a trail/beach/view is NOT a virtual cache. A cache has to be a specific distinct GPS target - not something large like a mountain top or a park, however special those locations are.

2.A virtual cache must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects. Items that would be in a coffee table book are good examples. A flagpole, manhole cover, tree, etc., are poor examples (with a possible exception: A flagpole at a memorial or a particularly novel flagpole would be ok, or an especially unique tree would count). Conversely, a scavenger hunt posted as a virtual cache would not be ok. If you don't know what is appropriate, post a question to the forums first.

I still say it's a cool idea, just not as a geocache.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I would like to see tangent games like this.

I was wondering if we could link to our own page in our profile. I don't think this is a geocache. However it sounds like a cool rabbit game, or geofootball game. You would only have to visit a players profile for clues or scores.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

I would like to see tangent games like this.

I was wondering if we could link to our own page in our profile. I don't think this is a geocache. However it sounds like a cool rabbit game, or geofootball game. You would only have to visit a players profile for clues or scores.

Exactly. Not everything has to be "geocaching", just because it has some vague tie to GPS.

Minute Wars and Geodashing are seperate games, yet alot closer to geocaching then some cache ideas I've seen.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

... it might be nice if there was some way to identify ourselves on our car.

I thought it might be nice to have a car sticker, but then realized that when I am caching in certain areas, I don't want park rangers or whatever to know what I am going, in case they have a personal problem with caching....

Otherwise, I'd love to have a geocaching logo bumper sticker about the size of the patch they sell. (It might even look like a parking area sticker to the geo-muggles.)

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

You guys don't have the vinyl "static cling" geocaching decal in your back windows? Shameful! $2.99 each at the Groundspeak store ... they were a cache staple a year or so back.

I actually do have it on my car, need to get on on Mickey's too, since we've been putting all the cache miles on her car lately.

Might be fun if there was some way of knowing which geocacher's car it was, not just that it's a cacher.

Then again, maybe not. I can envision lots of cars trying to run me off the road if they knew it was me. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe a decal that looked like our avatar would be nice, but it would only work for people who frequent the forums, which most cachers do not.

PS. BrianSnat, might be a good idea if you DON'T use your avatar on your car!

[This message was edited by Mopar on March 30, 2003 at 05:55 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Jeff:

You're right. No GPS needed, but then again, with some virtuals (monuments, famous places) you don't need a GPS either

Only because you know where those things are. You could use a GPS if you wanted to. I think if you can't use a GPS it isn't geocaching. I mean, that's what this is all about.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

quote:

... it might be nice if there was some way to identify ourselves on our car.

With tinted windows all the way around, I figured my license plate might give somewhat of an indication.

icon_wink.gif

"Gimpy"

--KC2KNI--

quote:

Might be fun if there was some way of knowing which geocacher's car it was, not just that it's a cacher.

You parked behind my car near "Trollsbane," and I believe you had correctly deduced who it belonged to ... no doubt the geocaching and AOPA stickers in the windows, the "I'd rather be flying" license plate frame and the spare tuxedo hanging in the window gave some clue? icon_wink.gif

Well, thanks for the input...from what I have gotten so far, I don't think it will work...as far as identifying whose car it is, I was thinking of putting the CACHE sticker (the one with space for the name of the cache, the one that actually goes on the outside of the cache itself) on the car window, and you could just write in your forum user name as the cache name. That way, you see the cache sticker on my Explorer, and when you get close, you can read "Indiana Jeff" in the cache name space, so you know it's my vehicle.

By the way, the Sonoran desert is the area around Phoenix, Arizona...

icon_biggrin.gif

You know, I never thought about putting one of the cache stickers on my bumper! That is a great idea! I believe other cachers would definitely recognize what it is and know a fellow cacher is near. I may do that as soon as I get home tonight.

Good idea Jeff.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.