Coordinates of Sunrise and Sunset

Cire Yamel

Just wondering if anyone know of someplace I can look up where the sun will rise and set at my coordinates on a specific day? The GPSr knows where the sun is all the time, so there must be some simple way to find it. A link would be appreciated!

I'm trying to figure out where exactly to put a vegetable garden and it would be nice to compare the sunreise/sunset from today with six months ago to try and figure out the shadows.

Thanks!

If you can get your hands on an old Trimble Scoutmaster, it'll give you a world of information about both the sun and the moon -- for any day/location you choose. I've got one, but am hanging on to it for just that reason. All its other features are "old technology", but I haven't found a more recent GPSr that gives you this kind of information.

That's pretty cool stuff. It actually confirmed that I'm going to completely tear up the *right* part of my lawn. Thanks.

Oh...one more thing...I did specifically wait until this weekend to try and figure this out because of the end of summer, which is a good time -- all things being equal. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again.

That's pretty cool stuff. It actually confirmed that I'm going to completely tear up the *right* part of my lawn. Thanks.

Oh...one more thing...I did specifically wait until this weekend to try and figure this out because of the end of summer, which is a good time -- all things being equal. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again.

You can get a photographer's almanac published for your home location any where in the world from Astronomical Data Services, PO Box 26180 Colorado Springs, CO 80936. It's about $15-$20. The almanac has a page for each month listing every day but what's really helpful is it gives the azimuth of where the sun and moon set and rise in addition to the times. That's really helpful if you're trying to line up a photo shot of the moon rising or sun setting in conjunction with other land details. For those who aren’t familiar, azimuth is the position on the horizon in degrees. For example, sun will rise at 5:55Am at 105 degrees so you point your compass at 105 and that's the spot. The almanac also provides moon illumination in percent, actual high noon time and degree altitude for the sun and the time twilight begins and ends so you can plan for those photos.

On the back of each page of data for the month is an appointment calendar for that month so you can plan you photo shots a year ahead based on azimuth as well as rise/set times. The book also provides lots of interesting info on this subject.

It's all laid out in a bound book with your name and "home" address personally ascribed. Kinda neat especially for photo buffs like me.

Alan

I use a program called "Planetarium" for the Palm Pilot to compute these things, and it lists the azimuth for rise and set as well as the elevation for transit for the sun, the moon, the planets, and any stars you might find particularly interesting. You never know when you might need to know when and where Betelgeuse will rise next.

A website that has all of the same data can be found at http://www.heavens-above.com . Just

tell it where you are and you can get sunrise/set data for today, and use the links at the top of the page to move forward or back a day. To move back six months, you might want to play with the URL and take 180 days or so off the number at the end.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cire Yamel:

Just wondering if anyone know of someplace I can look up where the sun will rise and set at my coordinates on a specific day!

WHERE it will set? It's been a while since a took any space science courses, but I'm pretty sure the sun doesn't actually set down anywhere on the earth....:-)

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure that if you put in some future date and time on the sun/moon info page of my eMap, the display will show you the position of the sun and moon for that time. I'll have to try it when I go back otu to my car.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by Cire Yamel:

Just wondering if anyone know of someplace I can look up where the sun will rise and set at my coordinates on a specific day? The GPSr knows where the sun is all the time, so there must be some simple way to find it. A link would be appreciated!

I am not trying to down play the request. or be a troll. I don't understand the request.

The Earth is, for the most part, a sphere. and it orbits the sun. so how can you get coords for an event that is ,for lack of a better term, always on the horizon?? It's not like the sun dives into the ocean and you can go there to watch it sizzle out. and then go elsewhere and see the sun being spewed forth from a dormat volacano.

When I first saw the topic title my first response was "Duh! Sunrise - East, Sunset -West"

But now I see it is something different.

Or do you want to know what angle from some fixed point it sets at everyday?

Thanks

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

Look under apogee and perigee of the celetial bodies and their 23 degree movement between the equinoxes Nasa TV had a special on this recently called Orbital Mechanics. The whole title, Orbital Mechanics, Keppler's and Newton's laws. You can also study "precession,,or annual wesward slip due to the earths rotation.That ought to keep you busy for awhile.7 Tectonic plates.

quote:
Originally posted by Clan Ferguson:

I don't understand the request.

I think what he's looking for is for the coordinates for his house, what is the exact time of sunrise/sunset on any particular day.

For example, for today, the sunrise may be at 6:22:45, but 50 miles west of me, the sunrise may actually be at 6:23:19.

I think most GPSrs that display sunrise data, probably display it for your current position. I know that the Garmins will also let you advance the calendar to see what it will be in the future.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association