Would it be too tacky to....

I don't see why it would be. I've thought of similar things myself. What do you think the issue would be? Bordering on commercial, maybe? I guess I can see where some people wouldn't like that view of it.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

are you talking about one that is locked that perhaps you work there or know someone who does will make sure it stays there? My only concern if it were mine would be that others would remove it or place things over it...but if you have control over it, I wouldn't think it would be tacky....then again i'm sure if you work there, then someone will say you are trying to drum up business...lol

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I think you could argue that the clue isn't in the business proper. It seems to me it's closer to a micro attached to the outside of a building than an ammo box behind the counter of a restaurant. Especially if you don't work there.

Edit: Another thought, though. There was once a cache near me that was in the cooler of a convenience store (this was quite a while ago). Unfortuantely, many people accidentally went into the business next door, asking about the cache. That business owner got very upset very quickly. You might want to make it known where the hunters should be looking, i.e. not bothering the cashiers.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

No, I don't work there but I know a lot of the employees.

I was thinking along the lines of a small packet of sheets that I would re-fill as needed. Kind of like a "take one" deal. A person wouldn't have to go all the way in the store to grab one.

The store is not open 24 hours but I would put the business hours on the cache page.

Og

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

I agree that it would probably go missing (just about when someone needed it). It gave me another thought, though.

What if you made a big graphic (posted on the cache page or linked to it) that looked like a supermarket bulletin board, with all kinds of stuff posted on it (jobs, lost pets, maid service, business ops, etc.), and somewhere on this graphic is the info needed to find the clue. It would be up to the seeker to figure it out.

52813_3100.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Og's outfit:

I was thinking along the lines of a small packet of sheets that I would re-fill as needed. Kind of like a "take one" deal. A person wouldn't have to go all the way in the store to grab one.

Yeah, that probably would last longer than just a sign on a bulletin board, unless the store manager chucked them.

The organizers of an event here last winter did this as part of a poker run for the event, but the gas stations involved were owned by a sponsor of the event and knew all about it.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Hmmm....I guess there is a chance that it could go missing.

My neighbor on one side is a pharmacist there and the neighbor on the other side works in the deli. We are also close friends with one of the butchers. I'm sure they would keep a daily eye on the board for me.

Og

I would definitely get permission from the store manager first...plus there's no telling what the district manager may do...my wife was going to a sewing place and they were holding back an old pattern book for her when the new ones came out...she got there a day too late because the district manager came through and tossed them...Aside from that, I would be afraid that people would remove them as well. I wouldn't want to think cachers would be like that, but you never know...then there are the non cachers...I think doing it that way may be a little more trouble for you than you would want to bother with...I think it would be a little better if a sheet was in one of those glassed enclosed bulletin boards...

there is a local cache here that has you go to certain coordinates to get the answers...it's a pretty neat cache with the final destination a very neat place with some great history...I believe it's called "Google Cache" if you look at my profile under mystery/unknown caches...The team that put it together has some other puzzle caches...they asked me to go along with them on another one that someone placed...if you like really good puzzle caches, then check this one out..N’la Azar Kna Naa...I say it's great now, because I haven't done it...looks a little difficult..I've only looked at the info briefly, need to bury my head into it and start digging in....

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

That's a thought, yumitori. The only thing is that the store is open for business much longer than our library. It would limit the time and days people could seek the cache. This is a small town (approx. 11,000) and the library closes on Sundays and on holidays.

Og

I think it's a good idea. My UHF cache takes you to movie locations where filming was done on the movie UHF. The final cache box is in a park though. I asked before trying to place it based on the fact that the cache: a) kind of promotes a movie :P takes you to several active business locations.

Inside the cache was a DVD of the movie, gag gifts, and a spatula (those that have seen the movie will understand).

Jeremy agreed that it wasn't commercial and that he liked the concept so I don't see why yours would be out of line.

Hmmm, that gives me some ideas.

-beatnik-