Golfing and gps

Tikiroy

quote:
Heard about this on television yesterday, and found the article this morning. Another interesting gps use.....

I played at Longboat Key in FL a few years ago and they had these on the carts. I thought it was a really nice feature to have, especially for a resort course with LOTS of water.

And to the golf purists who say this doesn't belong-ever buy a yardage book when you are at a resort course?

An added bonus feature was that the grill menu popped up on the screen at the 8th green, so your order was waiting for you as you made the turn.

icon_cool.gifhmmm. wonder if Magellan/Garmin will be putting snack bars out in the woods now. icon_rolleyes.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Here in Lincoln, we have one course just outside of town that has GPSrs on each cart. I think it would be cool to take that one step further and be able to download golf course info to a handheld GPSr so you could take advantage of the capability, but without the cart.

I haven't played the one course that has it so I can't provide an opinion. Personally, I think I would really like it since I'm a crappy golfer anyway. Doubt it would really improve my game at all but it would be pretty cool.

------------------------------------------------------------

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tales to tell....

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not. - Stephen Wright

------------------------------------------------------------

"Ogren: As we were driving here, a satellite that's orbiting the earth is tracking our golf cart. It measures the distances from the transmitter in the cart to a coordinate that's punched in for the pin on that day. So it's telling us the distance from our cart to the pin at all times. "

Well, he's half right.....

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by SLCDave:

"Ogren: As we were driving here, a satellite that's orbiting the earth is tracking our golf cart. It measures the distances from the transmitter in the cart to a coordinate that's punched in for the pin on that day. So it's telling us the distance from our cart to the pin at all times. "

Well, he's half right.....

Sounds completely wrong to me. The satellite's not doing any of those things.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I recently played a course that had the GPS system on the carts. Very nice to know distance to the pin as well as hazards. This system also showed the other golf carts on the hole with a distance to them. Very handy to keep from hitting up onto someone when you have a blind shot.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

I'm playing at a course tommorrow that has one. It's nice to know how far it is but people rely on it too much. Another nice feature is an LCD readout visable from your bag that not only tells you how far to the pin but alternates with a message telling you how far you are behind the expected 2 hours per 9 holes.

Wisdom comes with age... but sometimes age comes alone.

There is a course by my house (Fox Hollow) that has GPS receivers in the carts. They show teh distance to the center of the green.

It's funny - but I find them to be more a nuisance than a help (especially since on some holes the GPS distance doesn't match the perception distance).

It's a nice novelty though (they also use it to keep track of teh speed of play and tell you when you're in a spot where you should order lunch at teh turn).

Last time I visited my home course, I made waypoints for all tees and greens. I was planning to make my own map of the course, but haven't had time to work on it yet. Anyone else here done somthing like this? I'd like a few pointers, so I might be able to save myself some work...

I've played a few courses with the gps on the carts, and it's been a good experience. The last time I played a course in san Diego, I took my etrex vista and did it myself. I was searching on the net for some web sites that may have this sort of information, as I was thinking that I can't the only one out there who had thought of it. With all the people out there who probably own a gps and golf, this would be a great way to exchange waypoints without having to do all the work yourself. ANyone know of any sites out there or other people who are doing this? If anyone out there wants the waypoints for Encinitas Ranch Golf Course in Encinitas, CA, let me know!

danieljkim

I guess the best thing to do is mark the center of the green as 18 waypoints and then you'll know the distance to the center of the green for any hole you're on.

Hopefully, you'd have a good signal though, because being off by 30 ft (10 yards), which isn't very unreasonable depending on the terrain, would put you off by a club in many cases.

Are the courses you play not well marked with at least a 100/150/200 marker? If so, you ought to be able to get pretty close to the point of knowing your yardage.

I think GPS on a golf course is helpful if you're not familiar with the course, but then you'd not personally have the center of the green on a course you haven't played.

quote:
Originally posted by Team DEMP:

I guess the best thing to do is mark the center of the green as 18 waypoints and then you'll know the distance to the center of the green for any hole you're on.

Hopefully, you'd have a good signal though, because being off by 30 ft (10 yards), which isn't very unreasonable depending on the terrain, would put you off by a club in many cases.

Are the courses you play not well marked with at least a 100/150/200 marker? If so, you ought to be able to get pretty close to the point of knowing your yardage.

When I mapped my course, I just marked the center of the green, since the hole location will be moving from time to time. Most of the cheap courses I play don't seem to be marked very well (if at all).

As for the accuracy being within 10 yards, that's probably not gonna be much of a factor for a hacker like me. The main thing I want from my efforts is a map of the course, with general yardages, major landmarks, etc. My original idea was to overlay the waypoints on a topo map of the area, but that doesn't seem to be working very well (the maps are not detailed enought to see things like individual trees, sand traps, etc.)

It's nice to know the exact distance to the green. But, if you golf like me it really doesn't matter. With a five-iron in my hand the ball can go anywhere from 5 yards to 180 yards. What I need is something that tells me how well I am going to hit my next shot!

~~~In my world, nothing ever goes wrong!~~~

quote:
Originally posted by Pobre Rico:

With a five-iron in my hand the ball can go anywhere from 5 yards to 180 yards. What I need is something that tells me how well I am going to hit my next shot!

LOL!!! I think if you have that much of a spread with one club, knowing the exact distance doesn't seem to be that important to begin with.

There are a bunch of solutions available, mostly commercial related targeting golf courses, but there's some targeting the consumer.