GPS on CSI

Crusso

Watchin CSI & the main part of the investigation has the investigators downloading a track log to trace a murder victim's travels.

Just some trivia. Guess GPSs are gettin more mainstream as they didn't need to explain what a GPS is or what it does.

Wherever you go, there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

Watchin CSI & the main part of the investigation has the investigators downloading a track log to trace a murder victim's travels.

Just some trivia. Guess GPSs are gettin more mainstream as they didn't need to explain what a GPS is or what it does.

Wherever you go, there you are!

Based on my wife's description of the show (can't stand it myself, but she's into it), it sounds like she was a GPS newbie.

Logged the find, but at the wrong cache. icon_smile.gif

GPS is also featured in 2 Fast 2 Furious. Although the Feds use GPS to track the 2 cars being used in their sting operation. The first time I heard them explain that they were using the GPS to track the cars movements I was like...Hey...you can't do that!

And by the way, I only saw it because it was at the drive in before Italian Job.

Joshua

88300_800.jpg

The first time this epsidode of CSI was aired earlier this year, we discussed this very thing. icon_smile.gif

The funny thing is they said in CSI that her car's GPS told her to make a wrong turn and that is the reason why she hit the wrong building in her attempt to "get someone". In reality the GPS simply can't tell you to make a wrong turn, it is you the user interpreting the calcutions, and that may result in a wrong turn if you don't know what you are looking at.

Anyway, I saw part of the episode again last night and was mildly entertained.

Side note -- CSI in Las Vegas is much better than the spin off CSI:Miami.

Kirk out.

quote:
Originally posted by Search1128:

The funny thing is they said in CSI that her car's GPS told her to make a wrong turn and that is the reason why she hit the wrong building in her attempt to "get someone". In reality the GPS simply can't tell you to make a wrong turn, it is you the user interpreting the calcutions, and that may result in a wrong turn if you don't know what you are looking at.

You're right in that it's the user ultimately deciding which way to go, but she was using the GPSr mapping features to plot a route in an area she wasn't familiar with. She put in the address, and it plotted a route for her, and she drove where it told her to drive. So in effect it did tell her where to turn, and it turned out to be a wrong turn.

As for why it directed her to the wrong building, they hypothesized two possible reasons. One is that the mapping software was slightly off, and from what I understand, that is not particularly common, but happens often enough to be plausible. The other, (more likely) possibility is that she entered the wrong address by mistake, since the addresses were identical except for exchanging 'North' for 'South' in the street name. As it happened, the reason for the error wasn't important to the investigation, so that's as far as they took it.

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***