Ready For First Hunt!

Guest Nomad

Guest Nomad

I just bought a Magellan 330 X tonight and I'm ready to go on my first hunt this weekend. Does anyone have any advice for a first time hunter? (and also someone who's never used a GPS before?)

Guest cache_ninja

have fun

two things,

one, make a waypoint/landmark, lets say its your house. or whatever, just something you are familiar with. then walk, I dunno, at least a quarter mile a way ,and try to find your way back using the gps. try all the nav screens, figure out how they work/guide you to your waypoint. reading the manual is great, but until you try it out once you wont really know how to work it intuitively.

two, when you get near a cache, if the person who hid it didnt give any obvious clues, think like someone who is hiding something. don't give up after a short search, it could take awhile to find it.

enjoy

c/n

Guest Quinnow

Lets go a bit beyond these idea's which are quite good though. Check the thread in the forum for "getting started" and read up on it, there are tons of good information and idea's there to help you out. Not sure what area you live or your health condition but it would also be a good idea to inform someone where you are going, what you are doing, and when you should be back.

Don't forget to print a topo map from the cache page, and wear things that you know you will need for the area...is it muddy?

take an extra pencil with you in case the one for the log book is gone or broken. Take your time while hunting and most of all enjoy yourself.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-27-2001).]

Guest Seamus

documenting and/or making notes of particularly clever hiding spots, etc.

Hope these are of some use to you...

Happy Hunting!

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Frederick, MD

Guest 300mag

One important thing i never leave without is my compass.The gps might wander giving different courses but follow your bearing. This is more stable.Also bring water and some kind of energie bar.And lastly don't litter bring your stuff back icon_wink.gif

HAVE FUN

Guest 300mag

One important thing i never leave without is my compass.The gps might wander giving different courses but follow your bearing. This is more stable.Also bring water and some kind of energie bar.And lastly don't litter bring your stuff back icon_wink.gif

HAVE FUN