Caches in ski areas?

geomaineiacs

I did a search and didn't find anything on this topic, though I suspect it has been discussed. I was thinking of placing a cache at a large ski area here in Maine, on the mountainside but a little way off a trail in the woods. My plan was to tie it to a tree branch with a bright colored rope so if it snows 3 ft someone could still get to it by pulling on the rope. You could hike to it for free in the summer (the ski area doesn't care about summer hikers), but in the winter it would require downhill skis and paying for a lift ticket. What do people think? Would it pass the approvers?

There is a cache at the top of NY's best ski area. The owner gave permission for the cache, but didn't want it to be hunted during ski season, so that was mentioned on the page.

I was at the top of the mountain several times last winter and saw the cache sitting .13 mile from me. I had a hard time resisting the short trek to it. But all the untracked powder in front of me made me feel a little better icon_smile.gif

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

it runs into the ban on caches commercial. i'm for it, though.

i think it would be fun to go find a cache at mountains where i ski.

i'm not for caches that promote the ski area.

therein lies the giant grey area.

Flask nailed it.

It's a commercial establishment and private property, so you would first need permission from the resort owner, then you would need to get permission from Groundspeak before placing a cache there.

--------------------

frog.gif Personal slave of The Frog. frog.gif

I think this sounds like a great idea if you could get it approved by the ski resort involved and TPTB... It could also be cool to have a cache somewhere on just a normal cross country skiing area where you wouldn't need a pass or anything...

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

There was an active one on Copper Mtn.in CO back in January. We were skiing at Breckenridge and Vail so it wasn't worth the extra $ to ski there for a day just to bag it.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

There are a lot of caches here in Utah located on the ski slopes.

It is public access land, not in a national park, And yes I think if you can hike the mountain you can ski down for free. What you purchase is a "lift pass" so you buy your way up and get your way down for free.

Hopefully the gov't won't figure out a way to tax the law of gravity.

quote:
It's a commercial establishment and private property, so you would first need permission from the resort owner, then you would need to get permission from Groundspeak before placing a cache there.

I would hope that permission from the property owner is the only thing you need to get an approval for a ski area cache. I for one am looking forward to skiing/geocaching this season. I don't think it's promoting the ski area. Chances are if you're going to go find a cache on a ski slope you're a skier to begin with and would be buying a lift ticket anyway. What does it take to get a ski area cache approved as I see they exist?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

There is a cache at the top of http://www.plattekill.com/ski/index.html The owner gave permission for the cache, but didn't want it to be hunted during ski season, so that was mentioned on the page.

I was at the top of the mountain several times last winter and saw the cache sitting .13 mile from me. I had a hard time resisting the short trek to it. But all the untracked powder in front of me made me feel a little better icon_smile.gif

Can you post a link to the cache page?

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
A commercial use of the web site cache reporting tool is an direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a geocaching.com listing. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee

It’s not my intention to be argumentative but, Why is that a problem? I don’t want to speculate about what the reason is, so I’m literally asking what the reasoning is behind that rule. Maybe it’s obvious to Groundspeak, it’s just not to me.

Because now I am Lost.

As Deskjockey mentioned, Lucky Sevens Geocache is on a ski slope. (the December 30th entry is very interesting). We went there this summer, however, and there is no charge to get into the resort area and also no charge to hike up the ski slopes. We did choose to spend money to ride the ski lift up and take the slide back down, but it is not a necessity. This would be different in the winter, however, cause it would seem that you would have to spend the money to get to it.

We enjoyed this one very much though. Hope you get yours placed.

J.O.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

quote:
Despite all of the doubters, I got one approved a few weeks ago and someone just found it last weekend.

Excellent. Can't wait to combine my 2 favorite sports!

Because now I am Lost.