poisonous snakes in california

I am going to California for a couple weeks and I was going to try a little geocaching while I'm there. Since I have not been in a snake priority zone before I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as to what to do/not to do while cache hunting? icon_confused.gif Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by MNMartian:

What do you do when you come across one?

I've come across rattle snakes while hiking and mountain biking but not geocaching... yet.

It's hard to do when geocaching, but don't poke your hands into any holes, use a hiking stick or something to turn over rocks and logs and for any hole poking.

If you do come across a snake, just leave it alone. It's NOT going to chase you down. It'll leave if it can. Don't try to act like the Crocodile Hunter and grap it by it's tail and yell "What a whoppah!!!"

Just leave them alone.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

But here in KFalls (15 minutes from the border) we do have rattlers and they are active. I saw what I thought was one a couple months ago. I'm not entirely certain, 'cause it was more interested in crawling away under a rock than chasing me away screaming like a little girl icon_cool.gif , but it sure looked like one from the short look I got. We've had several cachers around here mention in there logs that they've stumbled across, or heard them near caches. One cacher was even struck at by one, but luckily it missed.

As far as what to do when you find one, try to leave it alone, don't threaten it, and walk slowly away from it if you know where it is. Usually a rattler will only strike if it's cornered or feels threatened (but not always) otherwise it'll just try to get away from you as easily as possible.

Hope that helps,

Gloom

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

I will be near the Oxnard/Ventura area.

I've been thinking about getting/making a walking stick of some sort.

Brian and I just purchased a Sherlock walking stick by Cascade Designs a few weeks ago. We have taken it on all our caches and it has come in handy each time. It's not bad in price for the features it has.

You can view it here:

http://cascadedesigns.com/tracks/walking_hiking.asp?Action=SherlockStaff

I wouldn't worry about snakes too much. They are out there and I have run across my fair share. But with some common sense they shouldn't bother you. Rattlers are as scared of you as you are of them and they will usually try to get away as fast as possible. As mentioned before don't go sticking your hand where you can't see and don't step over rocks or logs that you can't see over. Wear high top hiking boots and long pants. If you do encounter a rattler don't make sudden movements and move slowly away. It will usually leave. I would worry more about poison oak and ticks.

I heard that old tale about rattlers being more afraid of you than you are of them. I believed it until I ran into one in the middle of a trail in NY's Catskill Mtns. It stood its ground and rattled away each time we approached it. Since it was blocking our route we tossed a few stones at it in hopes of scaring it away, but that only seemed to piss it off more.

We eventually made two forked sticks to protect ourselves and walked slooowly past it, well out of reach of a strike (in our judgement). It sat there coiled and rattling as we passed, but thankfully never struck at us.

In Southern California, the only poisonous snake you are likely to see is the Western Diamondback Rattler. They look just like the rattle snakes in a John Wayne western.

They are pretty common, but many day hikers go years without seeing one. As many folks mentioned above, look before touching, and leave them alone and you should be fine.

You might want to review snake bite first aid procedures, especially if someone young or elderly will be hiking with you.

Slightly north of the LA area, I have had numerous hikers warn me about a 'dangerous' snake ahead. Often, the critter in question is a King Snake (Mountain King Snake?). The bright orange-red markings are striking, but the snake is harmless. I don't know if hikers are intimidated because the snake resembles the deadly coral snake, which is not a California native, or just make the (natural) assumption that anything so brightly colored and poorly disguised must be deadly to survive.

Relax, and enjoy your visit. The grease from an In and Out Burger is probably more dangerous than our snakes... icon_wink.gif

-jjf

quote:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the great info!

Nobody warned him about the drop bears?

Seriously - the biggest danger you'll face is running out of water. If you carry a big stick and plenty of water, you're sure to have a great experience.

FWIW, I've lived in California for 28 years and have never seen a single rattler in the wild. Plenty in captive settings though.

I hear they're good eating.

Lived in California before moving up here to the NW. Just garter snakes here, but ran into some rattlers a few times down in the Bay Area. We would seem them while out running for cross-country practice in the foothills. They would be lounging on the dirt roads soaking up the rays. It was funny because they never moved when we ran by.

Another time, I was hiking through some brush along some cliffs on the coast (North of Santa Cruz), and came real close to stepping on one. It was dusk, and I didn't see it, until the tail went off. Talk about a scary sound! I did what everyone else has suggested. Didn't make any sudden moves, and slowly backed off, taking a wider circle around the thing. He too, made a beeline away from me. A little later I worked on getting my heart to settle back down into my chest. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, lived in Cali for 23 years, and only saw 3 or 4 in the hiking/running I did all the time.

I heard that old tale about rattlers being more afraid of you than you are of them. I believed it until I ran into one in the middle of a trail in NY's Catskill Mtns. It stood its ground and rattled away each time we approached it. Since it was blocking our route we tossed a few stones at it in hopes of scaring it away, but that only seemed to piss it off more.

We eventually made two forked sticks to protect ourselves and walked slooowly past it, well out of reach of a strike (in our judgement). It sat there coiled and rattling as we passed, but thankfully never struck at us.

The same thing happened to me and my kids a couple of months ago in the hills of Riverside, CA. I could still hear it rattling even after we had gotten about 50 feet away from it. Very scary, but educational for a 6 and 8 year old. Fortunately, they now have a big interest in learning all about snakes. They have become their classroom experts.

Where your going, you will probably only have to worry about the pacific rattler.

A few points to remember

I. they are cold blooded so when its cool in the morning they might be in their burrows or trying to soak up some sun by laying in a sunny place, so if your climbing around rocks, its always a good idea to look before you place your hands.

As the day warms up they will be moving to shady spots, in the rocks, under brush, Ive noticed a few laying on the shady side of the trail in the heat of the day, maybe they were waiting for an easy meal. Here is a site that might help..

HTTP://desertusa.com/may96/du_rattle.html

Just be careful and watchful if you do see any they will more then likely move out of your way.

And it is a very good idea to carry some type of a staff sometimes they do have to be nudged a little, just dont hurt them as they do more good then bad

All who look are not lost

Here in Arizona we almost EXPECT to see a rattler now and then....especially out in the desert. As everyone has said the #1 rule is DONT put your hands OR feet where you cannot see! That and dont keep your eyes fixed on the trail 2 feet in front you...try to scan the trail and sides 8-10' ahead of where you plan to walk. Those 2 things and water and you should be fine. Have Fun!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

jeepsmiliedesertcamo.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:

What do you do when you come across one?

I've come across rattle snakes while hiking and mountain biking but not geocaching... yet.

It's hard to do when geocaching, but don't poke your hands into any holes, use a hiking stick or something to turn over rocks and logs and for any hole poking.

If you do come across a snake, just leave it alone. It's NOT going to chase you down. It'll leave if it can. Don't try to act like the Crocodile Hunter and grap it by it's tail and yell "What a whoppah!!!"

Just leave them alone.

george

So this post came up the other day and TODAY I spot a small rattler. I was hiking along an easy trail when along the edge of the trail on a 3 ft high rock was a small rattler sunning himself. He gave me a little rattle, I was about 5 ft away, I walked past quickly giving him all the room he needed. To say the least, he didn't try to chase me down.

george

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I’ll admit I’m no herpetologist but most of the rattlers I’ve run across have been stretched out straight and as soon as they sense you, they take off. I have only come across one rattler that was coiled up and it was making so much noise as I approached that you would of had to been deaf not hear it. Also, they can only strike half of their body length so you have to be pretty close. Most bites occur when you accidentally step on one or touch one.

Hey Clem.

Yeah, Zeke.

You know you're sittin' on a Diamondback Rattlesnake?

Plum on 'im?

Smack dab on 'im!

Well, don't worry - I ain't gonna hurt 'im none.

But it's ol' Floyd!

Oh! I better git off of 'em then!

(Rattle Rattle Rattle...)

Oh, don't go gittin' all sentimental now, Floyd. Just go curl up somewhere. - That Floyd, he's a good snake, ya' know!

Yep.

Yeah...

I think when he goes, I'm gonna make a wallet out of 'im...

(Snippit from Hudson and Landry)

--majicman

maj-gps.gif

majicman

In Australia we have many varieties of poisonous snakes including the 3 the most deadly species of all. The Fierce, The Taipan, and the Eastern Brown. It goes with out saying that while geocaching down here we have to be on constant lookout especially in summer. Right now it's winter but we still have to be vigilant.

The best advice I'd give anyone is whatever you do don't interfere with a snake. Usualy they will slither away before you even know they are there, but if by chance you have accidently cornered one and he can't get away just back out of the situation if safe. I usualy make as much noise as I can and walk slower, if I am walking in snakey territory. You have to wonder why a snake has developed venom so powerful it can kill a man, yet they only need enough to kill a lizard or a rat. Curious.

Of course snakes are by no means the biggest threat to geocachers in Australia. We have more than our fair share of other dangerous creatues, both on land and in the water, but it all adds to the adventure.

Hounddog

Speaking as a person that has hunted snakes for many years as hobby. Here are a few pointers....most have been covered.

In the summer when it is hot you will find snakes in the shade. Which also make them harder to spot. It is the early morning hours when it is still cool or the late afternoon that you are more likely to see them in the middle of the trail.

Never step over an object that you can't see the other side of. Step on it, then over..logs, rocks etc...

Snakes can't hear and their eyesight is poor, they pick up vibrations. Tap your walking stick in front of you so they know your coming. If the vibrations are enough to let them know it's something they can't eat they will move away.

The other post here about putting your hands into or under things are correct. Another thought..they can strike two thirds of their body lenght. They need to keep a third on the ground for balance.

Just one more note. There is a rumor that snakes don't come out at night. Incorrect. That is when they hunt their food. So beware night cachers!

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

Another excellent reason to carry a walking stick. You are more likely (in arid regions) to get bitten by a black widow than a rattler by sticking your hand in a dark hole. And ounce for eight-legged ounce, black widow venom is far more toxic. This is the time of year when widows are most active, too, so be wary.

I grew up in the Ventura/'snard area and even though we spent a great deal of time trying to get away from the adults (read: hiding out in remote areas) I almost never saw a rattlesnake unless it had been run over by a car.

I know that they're out there, though. When I lived there, some folks in the Pt. Mugu area of Hwy. 1 were complaining about rattlers. Camarillo gets quite a few of them and Somis, Santa Paula, Ojai, etc. We used to ride our horses through the hills around Ojai and I never once saw or heard a rattlesnake.

While much younger and living in the Riverside area, a small child on our block got bit when he was climbing on an area of boulders where we all played. Needless to say my Mom wouldn't let me play there for awhile. We used to catch garden and king snakes and keep them as pets.

Where I live now it is just too cool all year for rattlers. I hope...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"I have only come across one rattler that was coiled up and it was making so much noise as I approached that you would of had to been deaf not hear it. "

The one I came across with my kids was right at the edge of a trail in the grass, mid afternoon in the hot sun, and it didn't coil up and rattle until my daughter almost stepped on it. Believe me, we would have rather kept our distance than have a mild heart attack like that. I guess it's just a reminder to be prepared and always keep your eyes open. Nature is very unpredictable. We still love to cache, and have a great time. We also have a bigger respect than ever and tread very lightly.