Question on a cache...

kayakanimal

I want to put a cache at a local lake. It will require a boat to get to. Here is my problem…

I know everyone does not have a boat. On the lake I have a friend that owns a shop that rents kayaks, paddle boats and power boats. He would be happy to give a good discount to anyone that mentions Geocaching when they rent. I DON’T want this to sound like it is an add for his shop. What do you think?

I think it could work but I would just post the coords for his shop and mention that they rent kayaks and try not to mention too much about the relationship or store.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

A cache is a cache. Geocachers can decide if teh want to bag the cache. If it needs a boat, then can wither bring their own or rent one. If you provide info on how to rent one, then it may make it easier for them. If there are more than one boat rental businesses, then it is up to you weather to list them or not.

No problem here.

Here's how you might work it from a different angle.

Maybe your friend could put some kind of "Geocaching spoken here" sign in his store. Interested customers could talk to him about and be introduced to the hobby, and he might point them to your cache as an introduction.

Experienced geocachers seeing such a sign might be more inclined to patronize his establishment. Maybe just mention on the cache page that there are geocaching-friendly shops in the area, and be on the lookout.

Of course, you'd have to use the generic Geocaching symbol.

George

They'll figure it out. Rate it as a paddle cache, make mention there is boat rental nearby, don't push that fact too much, or it will sound like an ad, and if you hide it they will come. I'll be making a paddle cache this year no where near a boat rental. Not for miles and miles. People will know if they want to search it or not.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

quote:
Originally posted by kayakanimal:

I know everyone does not have a boat. On the lake I have a friend that owns a shop that rents kayaks, paddle boats and power boats. He would be happy to give a good discount to anyone that mentions Geocaching when they rent. I DON’T want this to sound like it is an add for his shop. What do you think?

I might be inclined to submit the cache with a line like "there are several places to rent a boat in the area (if this is the case) but XXX rental nearby will give a X% discount on boat rentals with a copy of this cache printout". Then include a note to the approver that you will remove that line if its a problem. I don't think its too commercial, as long as renting a boat from that place is not the only way to reach the cache (ie, you cant bring your own boat and cant rent one elsewhere).

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I asked erik88lr a very similar question, here is his reply:

Re. your river cache.

First give it a terrain rating of five stars, then indicate where people can put there own canoe or kayak in the water. Lastly indicate that for those who do not have there own boat they can rent one at ........ Also indicate that you have no affiliation with the renter, you are just providing the info as a convenience.

Regards,

erik

I've been going in circles my whole life. May as well make a hobby of it.

... it isn't really a point.

I would think the issue here would be that by mentioning a specific business, and including a discount for geocachers using that business, it might be considered too commercial. Since nobody seems to be focusing on that part, I guess nobody thinks that. Good. I think that its a nice gesture to offer a discount on the rentals to cachers. Since he is the only rental place on this body of water, if you want to rent a boat to attempt the cache, your gonna rent it from him anyway. By mentioning the rental, and the geocaching discount, your just helping people searching for your cache. Go for it.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

If there can be geocaches inside businesses where you ask the "gatekeeper" for the cache (I know of at least one), why not make a paddle cache where the "gatekeeper" is the boat place? I've even seen a cache that says, order the #5 special. People seem to like the cache as well as the #5 special. GO for it.

elifish