Are there "accessable" caches?

I just found out about Geocaching during the holiday when a friend showed up with his GPS. We found out first cache and even stashed one ourselves. But it got me wondering if there are "accessable" geocaches for those of us (me) who have walking disabilities. Could this maybe become a new catagory of geocache? Maybe even designated with a wheelchair icon or something? This idea might give geocaching some additional positive PR as a sport open to everyone.

toroda

There's a thread on wheelchair-accessible caches that's been active in the past few days; look a page or two back on the general forum and you should be able to find it.

Also, the same person posted threads in all of the regional forums asking for the same information, so you might want to check out your regional forum and see which caches were posted there, if any.

In general, if a cache has a one-star terrain rating, it's supposed to be accessible. In reality, few cache hiders abide by that rule, so your best bet is to find all the one-star caches in your area, then email each of the cache owners to determine whether they'd be accessible to someone with your specific abilities.

pirate.cgi.gif

Yes. There are wheelchair accessable caches and caches that are appropriate for people who have difficulty walking, but aren't necessarily wheelchair bound (knee & back problems, bad ticker, CP, MS, etc...). Look for a 1 or 1.5 star terrain rating. 1 star is supposed to be wheelchair accessable and 1.5 may have some barriers that would preclude a wheelchair, but should still be an easy walk.

One problem is that many cache owners don't adhere to the recommended standards (usually out of ignorance), so there may be some variables as to how appropriate the cache's terrain will be for you. If in doubt, e-mail the cache owner and ask.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

LOL Brian, the caches we've found that were 1's or 1.5's on the terrain part were no where near where a wheelchair could go. I do agree that a 1 should at least signify as wheelchair accessable and as you stated the same as the 1.5.

Here's the other thread:

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=85560226

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

I’m not knowledgeable of the mobility of those in wheelchairs, and I’m sure it varies depending on the degree of disability, but just because the terrain is wheelchair friendly, does that always mean the cache is accessible? For example, if the terrain is properly rated at one star, but the cache is placed where you would have to reach to the ground to pick it up, can a wheelchair person pick it up or do they have to get out of their chair? I have a cache that I think is 100% wheelchair accessible, mostly because you just drive up and pull it off a pole, but some in wheelchairs may not be able to drive at all. What then?

It appears to be subjective, like the entire cache rating system is anyway.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

For example, if the terrain is properly rated at one star, but the cache is placed where you would have to reach to the ground to pick it up, can a wheelchair person pick it up or do they have to get out of their chair?

All of this is covered in the other thread, of course, but as with most things, the answer is "it depends."

When we hid Twisted Tower Treasure, I asked a wheelchair-bound friend how far down and out he could reach, and chose the hiding place appropriately.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
For example, if the terrain is properly rated at one star, but the cache is placed where you would have to reach to the ground to pick it up, can a wheelchair person pick it up or do they have to get out of their chair? I have a cache that I think is 100% wheelchair accessible, mostly because you just drive up and pull it off a pole, but some in wheelchairs may not be able to drive at all. What then?

Handicap accessable can mean a lot of things. I doubt any cache would be accessable to a quadrapalegic, even though they can operate a wheelchair. Witness people like Christopher Reeves, or Stephen Hawking. Others are wheelchair bound most, or much of the time. I'm thinking of a friend's brother (with CP) who can leave his wheelchair, but it can take him several minutes to walk 20 feet.

The best we can do is to make sure a 1 star terrain cache is wheelchair negotiable. Beyond that, it's up the to the individuals to figure out what they can handle. Despite their disability, they still have a brain. Too many people forget that fact.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Thanks for the input folks. I'll try to put any caches I stash in fully accessable locations, and then be sure to mention that fact in the descriptions. But I suppose there will occasionally still be some perfectly able jerk parked in the handicap parking spot while he "was just running up to find the geocache for a minute and didn't think anyone would mind".

toroda

quote:
Thanks for the input folks. I'll try to put any caches I stash in fully accessable locations, and then be sure to mention that fact in the descriptions.

Just remember that the more accessable it is, the more likely it is to be found by a passerby and wind up stolen. You might want to consider placing a micro and think of a particularly clever method of hiding it.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I’m not knowledgeable of the mobility of those in wheelchairs, and I’m sure it varies depending on the degree of disability, but just because the _terrain_ is wheelchair friendly, does that always mean the cache is accessible? For example, if the terrain is properly rated at one star, but the cache is placed where you would have to reach to the ground to pick it up, can a wheelchair person pick it up or do they have to get out of their chair? I have a cache that I think is 100% wheelchair accessible, mostly because you just drive up and pull it off a pole, but some in wheelchairs may not be able to drive at all. What then?

It appears to be subjective, like the entire cache rating system is anyway.

I was in the same boat, with my 2nd hidden cache. In the brief description of the page block I wrote: 'I believe this cache is wheelchair accessible, please email me for more info'. Last week when I checked on the cache, a cacher wrote in the log book (but not online) that it was not quite wheelchair accessible. so I changed the terrain rating to 1.5 and removed the brief description.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Trust me. That cache is wheelchair accessible.

I have to agree, as long as they can drive, and/or reach up.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

[This message was edited by martmann on July 08, 2003 at 05:23 AM.]