Walking Sticks?

I know that this topic has been discussed before, but I am looking for some up to date information. What is the best hiking stick(s) to buy and where is the best place to buy them? I am not looking for cheep sticks, but the best quality at the best price. The high tech adjustable types (non wooden) interest me the most.

While on the subject, is it good practice to use just one stick or is it important to use two? With two, it would make it tough to hold the GPSr.

Thanks in advance,

Rocket Man

And, you have to admire a walking staff like El Diablo's, especially in light of the fine-looking customer on the main page. icon_biggrin.gif

BTW - I like the wooden sticks for their strength. I've pried and poked with it, ridden it down a muddy hill (like an ice ax on a snow field, used it to clinb back up with,) and all sorts of things. I don't think one of the trekking poles would have stood up to that.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I have a pair of Komperdell treking poles. Treking poles are great for hiking with a full backpacking load. Using two poles requires a different technique and a much shorter pole grip than a single pole. The shock absorber feature is no advantage. Don't pay extra for a crappy spring.

For day hiking and caching I prefer a plain wood hiking stick that all of our State parks sell.

I started using a cheap one made of wood. It was helpful going downhill. But at times it became more of a problem that a help. The problem was that when I needed my hands free, what did I do with the stick? So I quit using it.

A few weeks ago my daughter Desert Kid (Profile) and I hiked the Ron Coleman trail. It isn't a long trail, but it is quite difficult. Desert Kid got sick on the trail, and that slowed us down. But the long loose skree on the downhill side was the worst. So I started looking at colapsable poles, short ones that could strap to my pack.

With a quick search of the web, I discovered that there was WAY more to trekking poles than I thought. After studying, I was tempted to slap down BIG $$$ in some LEKI or BLACK DIAMOND poles. But I called another hiker for advice first. He directed me to the MASTER EXPLORER.

At his suggestion, I bought them. So far, I am satisfied. CORK handles, better than the rubber in hot weather. Carbide tips, and they do come with rubber tip covers. (I didn't know it and bought more). Best of all, at this price, I wasn't worried about the loss if I didn't like them.

Because they pack so well, I can use none-or one-or both as I need. I have noticed that when using both, it does take a bit of the load off my feet, and I seem to cover ground a lot quicker once I hit my rythm.

BackCountryStore.com had them delivered to me in 4 days. Standard delivery, not express.

Bottom line, they work for me. I am still satisfied.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I don't know if they would work the same and they are not telescopic, but would ski poles work?

When I bought my skies years ago I remember that I could get a set of ski poles for around $20. Now they were not fancy but they were poles. I know the baskets on the bottom can come off, since they wouldn't be needed.

I never thought about using ski poles till I read this post. Its funny how things kinda just come to you. I am going to have to dig through some of my junk and see if I have an old pair and give it a try.

mustanglx

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Go to your state's annual Renaissance Festival. That's where I get mine.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

http://www.texasgeocaching.comThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Snoogarito sendito got thatright! And if you are talkin' about the Texas Renaisance Festival (TRF ), you have a kindrid spirit here.

P

carpe cerevisi

Remove the NOSPAM from my e-mail to contact me.

Thanks to Capt Jack and DustyJacket for the plug on my hiking staffs!

I use a wood staff (not one that I created. I'm too busy making one for everyone else.) because there is no way (as DustyJacket said) that a metal hiking staff will stand up to the same treatment. Try to flip over a log or a large rock and you will go home with a bent metal pole.

Keep your high tech metal sticks...I'll stay with the wood staff that has been used since biblical times. If anyone ever wants to put up some money and test them side by side...I'm game icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:
Keep your high tech metal sticks...I'll stay with the wood staff that has been used since biblical times. If anyone ever wants to put up some money and test them side by side...I'm game

Do they collapse and fit in your pack when you don't need them, or in your suitcase if you are travelling? Can you switch the basket and use them for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter? Can you adjust the length when you need a longer pole for downhill walking, or a shorter pole for uphill, or so your kid can use it? Do they have a pointed end that fits nicely into the gromment of a tarp shelter, so you don't have to bring extra poles along on a camping trip? Can they double as a wading pole when you are flyfishing, then fold up so they're not the way while you're casting?

I don't recall having a need to flip over a log or rock while hiking, so I'll stick with my Komperdells.icon_wink.gif

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

I don't need to adjust the length, I just slide my hand up or down the staff to adjust without having to stop and change it everytime the terrain changes.

Can I use mine as a wadding pole? Yes, and I have done so. Can you pole vault a stream with yours? I can, and have done so.

Can a child use it? Yes. I make childs staffs all the time.

Does it have a point to put in the gromment of a tarp? Usually no. However some are fitted with spike tips that would work. If not I can put it between the forks of two trees and drap a tarp over it for a nice emergency shelter.

Will it fold in half? No. I would cry if it ever did. At an average of 60 inches...it's not a problem to carry with me while traveling. However, does yours come with a Geocaching Logo carved on it along with your name or your avatar carved on it?

Like you I have never had to turn over a log or a rock while hiking, but I certainly have while cache hunting icon_wink.gif

It all depends on what you want.

I am a heavyweight clumsy oaf - I need a stout stick, so that is what I have. I can also use it to "whup a bear" as El Diablo says.

Other like the whole collapsing thing, light weight, and the convenience. (Heck, mine doesn't fit in the trunk.)

If folks can't agree on GPSrs, hydration packs, mapping software, and types of caches they like, then agreeing on walking sticks will also not be possible. (That is a good thing in my book. Lots of variety.)

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I would really like to own one of El Diablo's hiking staffs, but right now I can't afford one. They look really cool (at least the pictures I saw on the web site) and look like they are really stout. I did get one before I knew about El Diablo's staffs at WalMart for about $10.00. It is made of hickory, but it is a little too small in diameter that I'd really want. I have used it to pry on a small log and rocks and I haven't broke it. I also have a 10' length of vine maple out in the shed that I was going to make into a staff about 15-18 years ago. I think it should be dry by now, so maybe I'll see about stripping it and cutting it down to a better length. Overall, I'd rather have a staff/hiking stick made from wood than thin-wall metal.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

I make my own out of silver buffalo berry or apple. Have a pretty huge mountain mahogany stick with a forked top that is still curing. Gives me extra leverage and balance on slopes. Wet and mossy ground is a snap to transverse by keeping two contact points. Ya, they are a bit of a hassle sometimes but I've used them for 15 years and don't feel properly equipped without a staff. Need to grow some more buffalo berry it is my favorite. Hard as hickory and light. Also experimenting with a dog lead attached so I can quickly harness our dog Chloe when she's running loose and there may be a hazard or other people nearby.

Check out my web site for the article on Hiking Sticks. After looking at all that I broke down and bought a pair of Leki's at Northern Mountain Supply for $45. Turns out the pair really did help me get up the mountain more easily. I leaned on them a lot. The wooden staff I was carrying around didn't help nearly as much.

Deer laugh when they hear my name!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

quote:
Originally posted by smithdw:

I would really like to own one of El Diablo's hiking staffs, but right now I can't afford one. They look really cool (at least the pictures I saw on the web site) and look like they are really stout.

-Marcus Dolengo

Hey Contact me and I'll make sure you get one that you can afford and it will be just as cool as on the website.

El Diablo

I just bought a Tracks Sherlock Staff..it's an adjustable staff that has a camera mount (after you twist off the knob on the top), and a steel spike or you can twist on the rubber foot..I'll admit thought that I havn't yet gone GeoCaching with it since I just bought it on Monday night! But I can't wait..So Rocket Man which one did you end up buying? I bought mine locally at Adventure 16 in San Diego..but you can order them online also! Here's a url: Sherlock Staff

~Bakahead

The only gripe I have with a long wooden walking stick it what do you do with it when you need both hands free? I am not Merlin. It don't go POOF and fit in my pack.

Some people get upset if you don't like their product. Sorry. It just don't make it in our area. I just can't see myself walking across the mountains with a 50 inch staff sticking out of the top of my pack.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Its mostly all based on what works for YOU...

I would say, find a good stout stick in the woods, cut it a little long, and try it out. Its free, and takes minimal time to do.

If its too long, cut it.

Then if you dont like it....Throw it back into the woods!

THEN go buy aluminum/plastic hiking sticks if you want....

I'm in western NY, and while there is rough topography, no matter where you are, I guarantee you are less than 5 miles from any kind of civilization, so the hikes can be quite physical, but short. For this reason, I use a long wooden stick. Yes, there are times when I would like to have my hands free, but the extra length comes in REAL handy climbing or descending the 45°-60° sides of gullies, and when polevaulting little creeks. Its also nice for walking along logs that bridge a creek or gully. Its usually long enough to set on the ground as I go, acting as a third leg.

Plus its special to me, since I remember the spot I found it, and the cache I was hunting at the time, and I've put my own time into trimming and sanding it.

Though, theres nothing like remember which WalMart it was that you get your aluminum poles from... icon_smile.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

Walmart sporting goods just recently stocked a collapsable for less than $10. Prior to purchasing one of these I read some geocaching links and made two others inexpensively. One from a mop handle someone else threw out and another from PSP. I like the Walmart collapsable and the price was right. $10 for one very much like others I've seen for between $30 and $40.

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Do they collapse and fit in your pack when you don't need them, or in your suitcase if you are travelling? Can you switch the basket and use them for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter? Can you adjust the length when you need a longer pole for downhill walking, or a shorter pole for uphill, or so your kid can use it? Do they have a pointed end that fits nicely into the gromment of a tarp shelter, so you don't have to bring extra poles along on a camping trip? Can they double as a wading pole when you are flyfishing, then fold up so they're not the way while you're casting?

I don't recall having a need to flip over a log or rock while hiking, so I'll stick with my Komperdells.icon_wink.gif

A treking pole is not sufficient if you really have to wack something. If I am hiking I don't normally carry skis and snowshoes. A wooden stick works great as a wading pole. The areas I hike are up and down all the time. It would be a waste of time to change the length of a treking pole. I just grab the stick at a different height. I would not give a kid a treking pole, they can't keep up with a stick.

Where I hike there are an abundance of sticks to use for setting up a tarp.

Treking poles are good for hauling heavy loads, but sometimes a stick is enough.

I can do a lot of trail maintenance with a stick that I cannot do with a treking pole. Flipping limbs and stones off the trail with a treking pole is not efficent. I have tried it.

I've never found a use for, or had a reason to carry a hiking stick. I find them pretty much only of use on simple terrain where they don't get in the way. Of course in those conditions I haven't figured out yet why I'd want one, other than the previous mentioned option of using it to wack something, (Ie. two legged animal)

I have a couple pair of good trekking poles that come in handy from time to time. They fold up nice so you can put them away for hand and foot scrambles, and when you're in the bush where they just get in the way. That's where mine stay the majority of the time when I do carry them. I generally just break them out when I hit the snow, especially if I'm using snowshoes or crampons, and the terrain isn't steep enough to require an ice axe. They're especially handy for clearing branches from, and pushing the nose down on your snowshoes when you're working through heavy vegetation areas. If you get trekking poles, make sure you can get the big snow baskets for them, and that they have a good solid locking mechanisim for the telescoping parts. I also prefer the ones with cross country ski pole type straps that allow you to put the pressure on your hand/wrist/stap combo so you don't really have to grip the pole hard to push off with it. If you use them hard on a climb without the straps, you'll pump your forearms up till you look like popeye.

quote:
Originally posted by Searching_ut:

I've never found a use for, or had a reason to carry a hiking stick. I find them pretty much only of use on simple terrain where they don't get in the way.

I am old and old fashioned, but I never cross a moving stream without a stick.

YMMV

Lately i've been using a handy little pole that I picked up at GI Joes. It only weighs 10 oz., so it's not a pain to carry, and comes in handy when there's a rock to flip or to move shrub-er-ubery to the side. It's shaft is aluminum and it has a rubber "foot" and a foam grip. The top is a wooden knob that I've been thinking of implanting a small compass in. And I got it for about 25 bucks!

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

The only gripe I have with a long wooden walking stick it what do you do with it when you need both hands free?

I found a reasonable solution to that problem by attaching a nylon cord loop to my wooden stick. I can loop the cord around my wrist and just let the stick hang when I need both hands. Probably not as much out of the way as a breakdown stick, but then it is much quicker to switch back and forth. I usually keep the loop around my wrist when hiking so that I can let go of the stick if I need to use that hand, without the stick taking off downslope or downstream.

FWIW,

CharlieP

When crossing streams I always have a stick for support as well. Why? Becuase the rocks can be slick as snail snot. thats why. The extra leg from the stick gives you a better chance to not fall and soak yourself.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

I use an old ski pole. But I really don't use it for walking, but rather bushwacking and polking brush for caches. Don't spend too much on a pole because it's gonna get dinged and mangled.

If you don't like how the handle feels when, try wrapping your stick with Tourna-Gripe or equivalent brand. You can find this stuff at a sporting good store with the tennis rackets (they are usually used for wrapping tennis racket handles).