Find on a plundered cache?

This thread as unpleasent as it started, has recently became an interesting conversation about a newbie on the first hunt finding the cache box, but not able to sign the log (which was there, but the pen was gone) because the cache was plundered. The person decided not to log a find but posted a note. Also, in the end, the person is even going to fix it up again and re-stock it. Quite admirable and a change from the tone of the thread!

Anyway, I posted there that I would make it a topic on it's own for posts to be added here. I thought it could stand on its own as a topic.

pokeanim3.gif

Well, I have logged it as a find online now, and will do so in the book tommorow when I take the new items to the cache. Aa it says in my log, there wasn't a pen in the cache, and I didn't have one. I did indeed post to ask what I should do, and was told to log it anyway. I decided to go a step up, as I'm sure (well, now anyway) any cacher would do in a similar situation.

(edit) the cache is question is this one.

Yes! You have done good Rex.

For other readers, I told Rex I thought it was OK to log a find because the actual cache was found with the log, but because the other items had been taken, Rex couldn't physically sign the log because there was no pen. Now Rex is going back with a pen to sign the log and re-stock the cache!

pokeanim3.gif

Bringing a pen back on a second trip to log your find is above and beyond the call of duty. Way to go, Rex! I wish there were more cachers like you out there.

As for waiting to log it as a found, that's subject to debate. Some say you can't log it as found until you sign the logbook. Others say it's a find if you find and replace the cache. In a case like this, it's really up to the owner of the cache. I would have let you claim the find without a pen and then made a maintenance trip myself to put one in there.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

Well, the pen isn't the only thing missing. Everything is gone, except for the container, the log book, and the welcome sheet. The owner lives in Ontario, making it extremely hard for him to make a maintenence run, so I'm going to take it into my own hands to restock the cache.

Signed, Rex

I wouldn't recommend restocking the same cache, because it is very likely that whomever plundered it will be back, and the next time they come back they will get new stuff. The cache should be archived. Write the cache owner and ask if he would like you to start another cache in the same park with the container, and maybe even the same format. Your intentions are good, but to give the pirates more to plunder- not smart.

Deer laugh when they hear my name!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

this is purely theory, but I think it may be possible that the guy that started the other thread may have plundered this cache.

I'm not saying that he won't do it again, but since this cache is out of town a ways, (about a 15 minute drive) I don't think he will be bothered to go back.

Again, that's just my theory.

Signed, Rex

quote:
Originally posted by Rex_Gordon:

Well, the pen isn't the only thing missing. Everything is gone, except for the container, the log book, and the welcome sheet. The owner lives in Ontario, making it extremely hard for him to make a maintenence run, so I'm going to take it into my own hands to restock the cache.

Signed, Rex

Another vacation cache?

So anyway, why the heck do you have to sign the log book to claim the find? Isn't it enough to lovingly open the cache and admire the McToys?

Just because you have to put on in a cache doesn't mean you have to sign it. Now if they are going to delete my online log if I don't, then I would feel like it's a rule and do it. Heck I sign them anyway, but thats not the point there.

If I 'sign' the logbook with my signature bullet hole does that count? What if I don't sign it but stamp it?

Leave DNA? If the pen is missing and I'm not packing one is blood required for a positive Geocacher DNA match?

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
There are people who go caching without bringing their own pen?

But they have their keys with them icon_wink.gif

quote:
Hello I found all 3 of your cache's at the petrolia desocvery today .. was my first time trying it .. # 2 had no pencil so i scrached it in with a key ..and it was off by 50 feet on my gps .. the other 2 were with in 5 feet of the mark you ploted .. was fun for my first try thanks ..