The Elite....

BeDoggy

Well I hope this hobby isn't going to turn out like my others....

Golf. Just wanted to get out and enjoy some time outdoors. People "more experienced" than I get heavy about my equipment , technique, and lack of seriousness... sucked the fun right out of it.

Astronomy....same kind of thing...telescope not good enough, technique, ect, ect.

Computers... your system is obsolete, you don't know as much as I do...ect, ect....

Music...the violin you bought isn't good enough, you don't practice enough, technique, ect, ect....

Geocaching..... Your gps unit is inferior, the caches you hide have problems with them, you don't have as many finds as I do, ect, ect, ect......!!!!!(OH NO...it IS turning out like the others...)

You know something? I have A full meaningful life. I just have hobbies to lighten things up and have more fun. I'm tired of having the "elite" in any hobby throw a wet blanket on things by trying to make me feel inferior. If this means that I'm not as good as others at geocaching, then I'm fine with that.

Maybe it's time for all of us who look at geocaching as a fun hobby to tell these anal retentive elitists to lighten up or leave us the hell alone.

Just venting.... Now back to the light hearted fun!

One of the best things about geocaching is that you do it by yourself, on your own terms. You choose which caches to hunt, and in what conditions. Nobody is watching you and grading on form. There is no difference between a 1/1 park and grab and a 3/3 cache done at night with a headlamp. Each earns one smiley face and each can bring a sense of accomplishment to the person who scored the find.

I may have a few more finds than some others, and a few more forum posts, but for all I know, I am a terrible geocacher. There are days when I stumble around for 40 minutes before finding an "easy" cache. I make navigation mistakes all the time while driving. I trip and fall a lot. All I know is that I'm having a whole lotta fun, and I'm not going to stop.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Well, Peanuthead, I do have a very fulfilling life. What I'm trying to say is that elitists are always trying to make you feel that you are not justified in feeling that way. As for geocaching being a sport where you are in it alone, that is true. Until of course you try to discuss it on the geocaching forum. Then the elitists come into play.

But it's no big deal really. I'll enjoy geocaching anyway, just like I enjoy golf, computers, playing the violin, fishing, reading and several other hobbies I do.

I just shouldn't have to be putting up with being flamed by these people and put down. So I vented a bit and now It's over. I'm heading out the door to hide a new cache, find a new cache, then take my kids fishing. Looking forward to a fun day, to coming home muddy and cold and making hot chocolate for everyone, and having a nice sunday dinner. I have a very fulfilling life, you bet.

Well now. I just bought a cordless drill. It set me back 16.99 and got the job done. It's not the best cordless drill out there. It's probably closer to the worst. Yet somehow I just built a gate with it, which is why I got it.

Now you might think that I'd take offence if you put down my drill because it's not a Maketa (can't even spell it) or a Milwakee. But since I didn't ask for your opinion on my drill I really don't give a rats arse about your opinion.

So why in the hell do you bother posting how you hate getting opinions that should roll off your back like water off a duck? If you ask for their opinion and don't like it, that's different. But to whine about it?

When I play golf, it's with a lot of beer and whatever clubs I can scrounge. It's a lot of fun that way. It's not like I even know anyone who is any good. Just a bunch of pretenders with expensive clubs.

Astronomy I did with 10x50 binoculars. Not even as good as your telescope.

All in all some people try to be helpful when you don't want it.

practice the mantra "thanks but I'm happy with what I got, why don't you help me with what I have" Then if they don't shut the hell up and help you get the most out of what you do have, blow them off.

Oh and don't post if you don't want answers, both good and bad. You will get them.

Wherever you go there you are.

I dont even consider my self an ELITEST, nor a newbie. I am just your avaerage JOE BLOW GEOCACHER.....

Now with that being said, EVERYONE had to start at ZERO finds. Some have years into the "hobbie", others have no life or its all they do (not trying to be mean here). But they all started right were you did and some poeple might have forgetten that. So dont take it personal......

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.w6hy.org

KF6VFH

TOYOTA To Often Yuppies Overprice This Auto

I recommend you cache to your heart's delight and don't read the forums, don't worry about others, don't tell anyone what you're using, just have fun, and for heaven's sake don't sweat the small stuff. It's a game, it's a sport, where you are the search engine, you're not in a competition. The only competition I know of here is our Travel Bug race. And even that is all in fun! So, cache on!

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

I cache to get away from all of the complaints. I could care less if someone else has more finds, better hides, or a more expensive GPSr. When I'm on a cache hunt, little else matters (kinda like backpacking).

To use a golf analogy, you are playing the course, not the other players. It doesn't matter what anyone else plays with or does. It is up to you to have a good time.

Adversity is certain, misery is optional.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

quote:
When I play golf, it's with a lot of beer and whatever clubs I can scrounge. It's a lot of fun that way. It's not like I even know anyone who is any good. Just a bunch of pretenders with expensive clubs.

That is how it should be! I play with my parents. We all stink at it equally, so we have a lot of fun together. If I play with good people and they criticize me, I either listen to them because their pointers are helpful (usually the case), or I ignore them if they are giving useless comments. Regardless, I don't let it bother me. I also play several instruments and it is the same thing.

The point is that if you do something that requires some talent, people who can give you pointers will tend to want to do so. I don't see that as elitist, I see it as one person trying to help another out. If you don't want the pointer just nod politely and then ignore them. I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BeDoggy:

Well, Peanuthead, I do have a very fulfilling life. What I'm trying to say is that elitists are always trying to make you feel that you are not justified in feeling that way. As for geocaching being a sport where you are in it alone, that is true. Until of course you try to discuss it on the geocaching forum. Then the elitists come into play.

But it's no big deal really. I'll enjoy geocaching anyway, just like I enjoy golf, computers, playing the violin, fishing, reading and several other hobbies I do.

I just shouldn't have to be putting up with being flamed by these people and put down. So I vented a bit and now It's over. I'm heading out the door to hide a new cache, find a new cache, then take my kids fishing. Looking forward to a fun day, to coming home muddy and cold and making hot chocolate for everyone, and having a nice sunday dinner. I have a very fulfilling life, you bet.

I find this confusing. Where are all the elitists? I, too, have hobbies and activities that I enjoy, but I've never met an elitist -- especially an elitist geocacher. You run into elitists when you golf, cache, fish, and read? Maybe you are attracting them somehow, I don't know. icon_wink.gif

As far as Geocaching goes, I figure the guy who has the most fun wins. Don't let percieved elitists ruin it for you. Just seek the caches that interest you, and when you're ready, hide some you think others might like.

Keep on Caching,

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

There is no difference between a 1/1 park and grab and a 3/3 cache done at night with a headlamp. Each earns one smiley face and each can bring a sense of accomplishment to the person who scored the find.

Well said!

That's one of the things I find funny and also very cool about this hobby: a park-and-grab gets you a smiley face and a "get out the climbing gear plus a second length of rope" also gets you the same smiley face.

-----

You must be present to win.

Elite? Describe your idea of an elite Geocacher. There are a lot of famous ones out there. They are famous for the number of caches found or for the ones they have hidden.

I don't know of any elite cachers...which in my diffinition would make them better than other cachers, and I think all cachers are equal due to their love of the game.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:

Well I hope this hobby isn't going to turn out like my others....

Geocaching..... Your gps unit is inferior, the caches you hide have problems with them, you don't have as many finds as I do, ect, ect, ect......!!!!!(OH NO...it IS turning out like the others...)

You know something? I have A full meaningful life. I just have hobbies to lighten things up and have more fun. I'm tired of having the "elite" in any hobby throw a wet blanket on things by trying to make me feel inferior. If this means that I'm not as good as others at geocaching, then I'm fine with that.

Maybe it's time for all of us who look at geocaching as a fun hobby to tell these anal retentive elitists to lighten up or leave us the hell alone.

Wow, what a wavelength we both seem to be riding parallel sides of... and on the same dadgum day, and we're only miles apart.

Wanna join my geodashing team?

canadazuuk

Several elitist cachers made this thread the "topic of the day" in ClayJar's geocaching chat channel on IRC. (Sunday nights are the weekly forum review, it is sort of like a book club, and yes you *do* need an invitation to be a part of the elite discussion.)

Because I am not an elitist, but merely a lawyer who caters to the whims of elitists for a modest fee, I was asked by the assembled L33T cachers to post this post.

Their message: We are too elite to stoop down and post in this thread.

frog.gificon_biggrin.giffrog.gificon_biggrin.giffrog.gificon_biggrin.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Hi Zuuk. Yeah, my post was a knee jerk to a few nasty emails and comments some guys made to a couple of my posts. Fortunately all geocachers I've run into personally are nice people who are easygoing and helpful. I'm sure the vast majority of people are this way, but a very small minority are like ticks, very small but very irritating. Email me. I'm really getting into geocaching and want to hide more caches in the fraser valley.

Regards...

BeDoggy

quote:

Well obviously I came across as more po'd than I really am. I still have alot of fun. Thanks for the note.

OK, so you weren't po'd. That's ok.

I spent 13.5 hours yesterday doing The Yakima Cache Machine. There were 30+ cachers, some were hitting their 800/900 cache mark. Others were fairly new the game. I don't know what the cachers are like in B.C., I never heard a single dispariging word said about any of the people involved.

If there are Elitists among us they are few and far between, or they all live in your part of Canada.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erat,

tum soli proscript catapultas habeunt.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I'm glad to hear that. I'm relatively new to geocaching. I've never personally met nasty geocachers, but I've sure heard from them by email. Like being called a retard and loser for buying a geko or being ridiculed harshly for saying that radio waves are a form of light.(which I was easily able to prove with a 2 minute search on google.) I guess my point and concern was about how some people in any hobby/sport/field of study only find fulfillment by "peeing in someone elses cornflakes" (as my sister is fond of saying)

I spent most of the day geocaching and fishing and this stuff hasn't bothered me in the least.

Regards...

BeDoggy

Hey! I have a Geko! icon_biggrin.gif Maybe you and I are members of the elite Geko owners club?

As far as GPSs go, it seems to me like everyone is out using their own thing. There's a lot of yellow Etrex's out there and there's lot of Vistas. I don't think the Vistas are getting anyone closer to the cache than the Yellow is........

I've also noticed that people tend to think their GPS is the best, no matter what brand they have. I ignore folks that badmouth the Geko. It hasn't been out long enough for some folks to pass judgement.

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

I've found the same thing. The people of whom you speak usually participate in their own particular hobby exclusively. That's how they became no-it-a.... I mean experts. You should be proud of the fact that you have tried many things. I find life much more rewarding that way.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

BeDoggy,

Welcome to caching in the Fraser Valley -- we've got quite a number of really great caches here.

You are correct -- there is an 'elitist' bunch on these boards. At the least they have convinced themselves that they are elitist.

They are the ones that think that because they have more finds than you or I that they know everything that there is to know about caching.

They are the ones that think that because you only have ten finds that you know nothing at all (about anything).

They are the ones that think that everything should be regulated -- and they know exactly how this should be done.

They are the ones that think that this activity is actually important.

They are the ones that think they have a right to tell you what is and is not good for you.

They are the ones that squawk like a murder of crows when you suggest anything that they don't agree with (as you will see by the replies to this post).

They are the ones that take the fun out of caching for others.

Fortunately, they are few.

I've been caching for four months and have found that the first (and only necessary) rule of caching is not to take the forums too seriously. Doing this will make it easy to continue enjoying this activity.

Cache on your own terms and don't let the elitists ruin the fun for you.

-----

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

-Elanor Roosevelt

There are a lot of people who are helpful and kind here. Just like anywhere, you have the good, the bad, and the ugly. Some are a combination of the 3.

But, if you like, read the forums to gain info and don't post. Then go caching. I believe most cachers don't actually post on the forums.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

This hobby has so many different elements that it can be enjoyed by the whole family for different reasons. We've only found 5 or 6 caches so far, but the way the kids' faces light up when the lid comes off is the reason I do it. I've had 6 Christmas mornings in the last 3 weeks. My yellow etrex that I got at Wal-Mart has found every one of them with no probs. Not even using a map. They love it so far, so I do too. When they get bored, we ride bikes. When they get tired, we fly the kite. When they want to "hunt treasure", we geocache!

Peace through Victory!

quote:

..Like being called a retard and loser for buying a geko or being ridiculed harshly for saying that radio waves are a form of light.(which I was easily able to prove with a 2 minute search on google.)

BeDoggy

There's always going to be someone tho thinks they're better than everyone. If the geko works fine for you, I'd tell them just that (Though I may not use such nice language).

As for the radio/light thing, where'd you find that? I know it's all part of the EM spectrum, but since the portion of that specturm that we utilize as 'radio waves' does not coincide with what we classify as 'light' (infrared through ultraviolet), I can see where some scientific or engineer types (like my husband) would argue 'till he's blue to the face on that point icon_wink.gif

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

The forums are where we can learn about the details of geocaching, so they are useful, but there is some flaming in here and comparison. "He's a loser geocacher because all he goes after are 1/1s" and people aren't taken serious until they find 1000 caches.

The GPS units we use ($100-500 or so) are like music CD players. They all play, some just have more features.

quote:

One of the best things about geocaching is that you do it by yourself, on your own terms. You choose which caches to hunt, and in what conditions.

I'm 100% in agreement with you!

quote:

There is no difference between a 1/1 park and grab and a 3/3 cache done at night with a headlamp. Each earns one smiley face and each can bring a sense of accomplishment to the person who scored the find.

Well, of course "there is no difference" in the "smiley face" each earns, but I would humbly suggest there is a big difference ... especially for former "couch potatoes" who gradually increase their level of fitness to the point where they are eventually able to undertake more physically challenging caches. I would hope they might enjoy a similar increase in their sense of accomplishment.

quote:

All I know is that I'm having a whole lotta fun, and I'm not going to stop.

"That's the ticket!" icon_smile.gif

Getting back to some of the comments from the first post of this thread, many of those activities mentioned were in fact group activities where the ability to work with and complement the efforts of others is a major consideration ... in such situations, it's important to seek out and participate with others of a similar level.

quote:
Originally posted by brad.32:

...and people aren't taken serious until they find 1000 caches.

There are people with 1000 finds?!? They must be losers with no lives... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"