Time spent looking for the cache hiding spot.

Alan2

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

What's the average time you spend once you have arrived at the general area to the time you actually find the cache?

Seems like nearly all finds these days either take less than a minute or the better part of an hour. (e.g. 70 ft off in a field of rocks... but I digress)

I have to agree with Stayfloppy on this. Usually it is under a few minutes. With me it seems the longer I have looked the greater potential that it will be a no find at least on that trip to the cache site. If the question was how long will I look before I give up looking it will depend on the difficulty given for the cache and if I feel that the cache is still there. (if the cache description says it is in a stump and there is only one and it is not there I will not look long) I usually limit myself to about an hour or so.

quote:
Originally posted by inceptor:

I usually can find one in about 15 minutes or less BUT, I have been known to spent an hour or better (sometimes 2) just because I hate to give up. icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

North Texas Geocaching Association

It depends how much time I have left in the day. I've searched for hours and came up empty, put a note on the cache page only see it archived or marked gone missing a few days later after the cache owner did a check on it. I try to keep that in mind when the hunt gets too long. Now before I go out I check the logs hoping for activity of recent finds. I think a lot of people are reluctants to put "Not Found" logs but it certainly aids in the maintenance of the cache.

I think the most time I've spend on a puzzle cache was 4 or 5 hours over the same number of days - BUT I FOUND IT! (That was Hidden Treasure by Binthair).

quote:
Originally posted by inceptor:

I usually can find one in about 15 minutes or less BUT, I have been known to spent an hour or better (sometimes 2) just because I hate to give up. icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

North Texas Geocaching Association

It depends how much time I have left in the day. I've searched for hours and came up empty, put a note on the cache page only see it archived or marked gone missing a few days later after the cache owner did a check on it. I try to keep that in mind when the hunt gets too long. Now before I go out I check the logs hoping for activity of recent finds. I think a lot of people are reluctants to put "Not Found" logs but it certainly aids in the maintenance of the cache.

I think the most time I've spend on a puzzle cache was 4 or 5 hours over the same number of days - BUT I FOUND IT! (That was Hidden Treasure by Binthair).

Sometimes I walk right to it. Sometimes it takes an hour. I won't leave until I have either found it, convinced myself that it's missing, or HAVE to be somewhere else. Even then I'll come back until one of the other two criteria are met. There really is no average time.

geosign.gif

I'm with Ranz on this one. Can't vote. Like him, I often find it quickly, but sometimes take an hour or more. I hate to give up. One time I searched for 2.5 hours, until I decided that either the co-ords were way off or it was missing. I just hate to give up, I'll look and look, and after a while, start trying to talk myself into quiting, telling myself things like, it may have been stolen, the co-ordinates may be off, it may not ever have even been placed here, I might be on candid camera right now.....even then it takes me a while to give up, as the other part of me is saying, but it's probably just over there, you've probably walked by it a dozen times already, maybe it is disquised.....I hate to give up, and have only done so twice, and once was because there were some people who's vehical had broken down and were in need of a ride home, so I didn't feel I could recheck my math and retry the search.(it was a multi cache) When I got home I discovered my problem was a simple math error.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Do you mean how long I'll spend looking for a cache before giving up (on average), or more likely you mean how long it takes to locate the cache in general.

Usually I can find the cache within ten minutes, but I have been know to spend and hour looking for a couple. Oh, and then there was the time Quad gave us the wrong coords and we spent 3 hours just trying to find a way to the 'cache' without going on private property, but that's a whole other topic icon_wink.gif

-Gloom

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Do you mean how long I'll spend looking for a cache before giving up (on average), or more likely you mean how long it takes to locate the cache in general.

Usually I can find the cache within ten minutes, but I have been know to spend and hour looking for a couple. Oh, and then there was the time Quad gave us the wrong coords and we spent 3 hours just trying to find a way to the 'cache' without going on private property, but that's a whole other topic icon_wink.gif

-Gloom

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

quote:
Originally posted by Gloom:

The fifth selection matches the first half of your statement. I've given up after a while if I can't find it. I just get bored spending too much time poking around, nervous about ticks or my wife is pestering me on the cell phone from the car just outside the park where she;s waiting for me with the dog! Also, I enjoy the trip more than fidning the actaul cache - what can I tell you? So I thought others do the same. Just wondering. From the voting I might be the only one. icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Gloom:

The fifth selection matches the first half of your statement. I've given up after a while if I can't find it. I just get bored spending too much time poking around, nervous about ticks or my wife is pestering me on the cell phone from the car just outside the park where she;s waiting for me with the dog! Also, I enjoy the trip more than fidning the actaul cache - what can I tell you? So I thought others do the same. Just wondering. From the voting I might be the only one. icon_wink.gif

Alan