My Personal Gripe!!!

icon_mad.gif What is it with some of the geocachers out there? Is it so difficult to follow instructions when common sence dictates that you to put a cache back where you found them?

Furthormore, when returning a cache to it's proper hiding place, take the time to re-hide it equal to or better than you found it. To date, I have lost or had difficulty finding several of my own caches in the past, due mainly to others not doing there job of securing a cache properly.

When a cache isn't hidden correctly, some non-caring non-geocacher might come along and rip it off. Each and every time I find a cache out of place, I will track down the culprit where possible.

To date, I have over 40 caches out there for others to find and I take this hobby very seriously and have lots of fun. However, all it takes is one rotten apple to spoil the barrel.

Don't let it get you down. I figure that if a cache lasts 6 months, it is doing well. Try not to get too emotionally involved with your game pieces. icon_wink.gif

(With 40 caches hidden, you are a credit to the geocaching community. icon_smile.gif )

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

This is a problem. I do not understand why finders can't re hide the cache the way they found it. I guess some think they are doing the next finder a favor. Do they think everybody else is so stupid that they can't find it without help?

Another (but not as much a) beef of mine is those who hide it way better than I originally hid the cache. Why do some people insist on doing this? I left a 1.5 star cache and noted it as such on the cache page. Then someone else comes along and makes it a two or 2.5 star hunt. I'm the owner. I hid it and I rated it X and I did so for a reason.

Please, just put the cache back the way you found it. Pretty simple!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 21, 2003 at 10:05 PM.]

My personal gripe:

All of the times I see AA batteries left on the ground near cache sites. I'd like to think they've fallen out of pockets and not deliberately left there.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I think some geocachers find the cache and observe that their GPSr says the coordinates are really "over there". So they rehide the cache "over there" to help out the next guy. Some folks just don't get the fact that the coords in all practicality are ballpark and the cache needs to remain in its original spot.

I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once.Daniel Boone

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Strider:

I think some geocachers find the cache and observe that their GPSr says the coordinates are really "over there". So they rehide the cache "over there" to help out the next guy. Some folks just don't get the fact that the coords in all practicality are ballpark and the cache needs to remain in its original spot.

__I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once._Daniel Boone_

I just got an email from a local cacher who was trying my Wallace Cache II that he/she may have found my original Wallace Cache! The cache had been missing since August. Perhaps somebody moved it due to the coords saying it needed to be over there. The cacher rehid it in the same spot they found it. Anyway, I'm going out later to check this out.

Gee only 40 Ray, I have found nearly everyone of them. As soon as my left foot gets rid of the gout I will try for your latest one down in the canyon. Ray has done more for Kitsap County than the rest of us together. I never have to worry about the coordinates for the cache. They are right on. Keep up the good work. Dick, W7WT Bremerton, Wa.