clandestine coordinates

Expanding on the problem of some parks forbidding caches and removing the ones they find.

To remove them they have to know about them and they must do that by getting coordintes here. Might there be a way to give coords in not so easy a place for them to find - short of MOC?

First of all, this is the same idea as hiding coordinates from people who are just out there to vandalize/steal caches. That's been hashed out repeatedly on the forums, and the result always seems to be that there's no workable way of doing it.

I've seen this sort of tactic against anti-cache parks proposed elsewhere. I think it's a really bad idea for the simple fact that it creates an image of geocaching that is more likely to get us kicked out of more parks than accepted by the one being invaded. Not to sound alarmist, but it could even result in legislation. All they'd have to do is call it "littering". "Geocaching is punishable by a $500 fine and/or 30 days in jail". There are plenty other illegal outdoor activities available.

quote:
Originally posted by treemoss2:

To remove them they have to know about them and they must do that by getting coordintes here.

I'd imagine most of them that are removed aren't hunted down by rangers visiting this site - but more likely they are discovered by park rangers/caretakers when careless cachers leave trash around them, or bushwhack trails to well hidden caches - or just generally disturb the "normal" appearance of the area as it was before the cache was there.

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

I agree that this proposal is not a good idea. Many of the posts that I have read about caches that had been removed didn't even involve the authorities find out about them here. Many if not most are the result of some parks worker or cop locating a suspicious trail or some damage to some vegitation or in one case some suspicious individual looking around a college campus at night. The most recent post mentioned a lone car in a parking lot that may have caught the attention of Campus Police. Upon investigation they find the cache or cacher. Or, a couple involved a non-cacher, worker or police officer just stumbling accross them and not knowing what they are. They call the police who blow it up and find out what Geocaching is all about. To cover themselves from potential embarassment they make a big deal of it and emphasize how inapproriate the cache was in the location. They highlight any law that can be used to warrant or justify the actions that they took. Littering, Abandonment, Burrying items in a city park, tresspassing on railroad property... If parks officials or forest rangers start to notice illegal caches being DELIBERATELY placed without following policies, laws or rules they may start looking down on us even more and taking it as a personal disrespect. Those who are reasonable and willing to work with us may start turning against us on the impression that we can't be trusted.

It is one thing to place and apoligize and play dumb but when they find the information that makes them realize you knew it was illegal or inappropriate and you went around them and placed it anyways and were trying to hide it from them. All bets will likely be OFF.

Just my feelings here.

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

First of all, this is the same idea as hiding coordinates from people who are just out there to vandalize/steal caches. That's been hashed out repeatedly on the forums, and the result always seems to be that there's no workable way of doing it.

I've seen this sort of tactic against anti-cache parks proposed elsewhere. I think it's a really bad idea for the simple fact that it creates an image of geocaching that is more likely to get us kicked out of more parks than accepted by the one being invaded. Not to sound alarmist, but it could even result in legislation. All they'd have to do is call it "littering". "Geocaching is punishable by a $500 fine and/or 30 days in jail". There are plenty other illegal outdoor activities available.