Converting Miles to feet on my Garmin?

I looked in my old 12 manual and didnt see any mention of any way to change it...I think you can still get a downloadable copy of the manual at garmins web page. On my G3+ it changes automaticly at .1miles to feet (~500')

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

quote:
Originally posted by 1groundpounder:

Is it possible to get my Garmin GPS 12 to switch from miles to feet. It's hard trying to visualize .05 of a mile when I'm getting close. I can't find my manual. Any help?

1groundpounder

As far as I know they don't have an update yet but I would love to be proven wrong. My Geo partner has one & it usually gets very good reception but the ".10 mile" thing really sucks. Guess we'll just have to find them by coords alone.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Maybe this is because I am a math person, but I always just kinda transpose the numbers as I am hiking. Based on .1 Mi ~ 500 ft, I just easily see things like .05 as 250ft, or .01 as 50ft, and so on. Once I am under a mile I always start thinking in terms of feet. If I am standing on the top of a hill, I have a very difficult time visualizing how far away 1/4 a mile is, but it really easy to see it as around 1250 feet....I just think of it as around 4 football fields long.

Good luck

Macro, in my case, it's not so much a matter of being able to visualize how close I am, but in knowing that I'm within a specified distance. For the MinuteWar game, we have to get within 10 meters (approximately 28 ft or .0062 miles) to capture an enemy's flag. Since the flags are imaginary, I have only my GPS coordinates to go by. And since my readout rounds to 0.01, I've been making myself get a zero reading to be sure I'm within the 10 meters. It would be nice to have more accurate measurements, but I guess you get what you pay for. (Good thing my birthday's coming up, at least. icon_wink.gif)

Macro, in my case, it's not so much a matter of being able to visualize how close I am, but in knowing that I'm within a specified distance. For the MinuteWar game, we have to get within 10 meters (approximately 28 ft or .0062 miles) to capture an enemy's flag. Since the flags are imaginary, I have only my GPS coordinates to go by. And since my readout rounds to 0.01, I've been making myself get a zero reading to be sure I'm within the 10 meters. It would be nice to have more accurate measurements, but I guess you get what you pay for. (Good thing my birthday's coming up, at least. icon_wink.gif)

Change setting to METRIC. Then convert meters to feet. (1 meter =1.1yd = 3.3 feet). Find 10% of # meters,and add the 10% to meters, total = yards, then 3x= feet. For example, convert 40 meters to feet... 40m + 4(10% of 40m)=44yd x 3ft = 132ft

1m = 1.1yd = 3.3ft (close enough for Horseshoes and Handgrenades)

quote:
Originally posted by Geonavigator:

Change setting to METRIC. Then convert meters to feet.

Actually, I wouldn't need to convert to feet, since the distance requirements are set up in meters (100 m for uncaptured flags, and 10 m for enemy-owned flags).

Unfortunately, it looks like my only choices are miles, kilometers, and whatever "NM" stands for. (But if I used 0.01 km as 1 m, that should give me more accuracy than having to round down to 0.00 miles, which is what I've been doing since I can never be sure whether my 0.01 within 0.0062...it could actually be as high as 0.0149, which is more than twice what I have to be within.)

Thanks for the suggestion. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Geonavigator:

Change setting to METRIC. Then convert meters to feet.

Actually, I wouldn't need to convert to feet, since the distance requirements are set up in meters (100 m for uncaptured flags, and 10 m for enemy-owned flags).

Unfortunately, it looks like my only choices are miles, kilometers, and whatever "NM" stands for. (But if I used 0.01 km as 1 m, that should give me more accuracy than having to round down to 0.00 miles, which is what I've been doing since I can never be sure whether my 0.01 within 0.0062...it could actually be as high as 0.0149, which is more than twice what I have to be within.)

Thanks for the suggestion. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Thanks for the responses. It's about what I thought. I guess I'm in the market for a new one, what would you recommend? I know I want one with the conversion to feet and with the averaging feature like my 12.

1Groundpounder

A Mag 315 is great for just caching (good reception, easy to use)& should find one for under $149.

But you can get any of about 20 suggestions on this subject!

icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Thanks for the responses. It's about what I thought. I guess I'm in the market for a new one, what would you recommend? I know I want one with the conversion to feet and with the averaging feature like my 12.

1Groundpounder

A Mag 315 is great for just caching (good reception, easy to use)& should find one for under $149.

But you can get any of about 20 suggestions on this subject!

icon_biggrin.gif