This used to be such a pleasant forum!

I've been noticing a lot of flared up tempers and irrational arguements callously being thrown back and forth and forth and back.

Not two months ago were newbies chiming in praising this site to be one of the most friendly exchanges of ideas on the internet.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a trend towards general ugliness across many of the 'friendly' forums that I am involved in.

I post this as a new topic and not as a reply to any particular user or discussion.

We can choose to disagree. We can also choose to disagree friendly.

In the words of Rodney King: "Why can't we all just get along?"

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I agree Hawk-eye the more people the more rotten apple we will attact. I also think that some of the change to www.geocaching.com had rub some nerves raw on both side of the issues and I think some took it out on the newbees. I don't even think many ment to do it, but I think patients and tempers where a little short. I think it is gettting better. I have notice less flame fest in the last week.

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

I grew up in the coastal town of Woods Hole. The late winter, early spring was not the time to go hang at the the local bar. It was full of very grumpy fishermen.

Maybe it is that way with geocaching. People aren't able to get out there because it is too cold or too muddy.

A suggestion on some of the flame baits that have started some controversies. Let's stop posting, "what do you think of this type (cache link) or behavior" where it is trivial to find the person that is being discussed.

Keep it generic and then it will not devolve to ad hominem attacks.

1.jpg

With MCB.

I do think it's getting better. I've been reading the forums for a while now and it's better here now than it was a couple of weeks ago.

I signed up with a newsgroup and there's lots of negativity in many of the responses I read from some of those folks. I'm thinking about bowing out of the newsgroup.

If you need to get out, come here! Yesterday's temperature was 93F for a new record high, and we expect to see 90F today!

Took me an hour and forty five minute to get to school today. It normally a 35 minute drive. The Cleveland Drive can't drive in the snow to save their butts. I figured the snow was over and took the 480 lbs of brick out of the back of my 2WD pickup this past Sunday. Needless to say it was a fun drive to school. icon_biggrin.gif

Later

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

Took me an hour and forty five minute to get to school today. It normally a 35 minute drive. The Cleveland Drive can't drive in the snow to save their butts. I figured the snow was over and took the 480 lbs of brick out of the back of my 2WD pickup this past Sunday. Needless to say it was a fun drive to school. icon_biggrin.gif

Later

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

The weather sure has a lot to do with the attitude. Cabin fever has really set in in my part of world. The last two mornings it has been 25 below (wind chill). About 0 to 5 on the thermometer. I did see robins show up on wednesday, so there is hope. I wonder what they find to eat? With all the snow it must be hard for them, too.

Found www.geocaching.com a few weeks ago when I was searching for info on GPS V and Etrex. Impressed with the amount of information, good replies to questions, and members input on topics.

Like most of the forums, at some point you need a moderator to help when things heat up in topics or members.

Tough spot when it gets to that........

Our population continues to increase, and with that changes comes many new perspectives. I wish the forums (and hope they will) reutrn to a more informative place to share and learn. Lately it seems to be a dumping grounds for a lot of frustration...too many complains and not enough substance. (or am I just complaining myself?)

Oh well, all we can do is try to stay on topic. I find those are the best threads....when replies are directly related to the original statement. Once they stray, side topic come up, and then the bickering begins.

I think once the weather turns, more people will be logging finds, and spending less time in here. then perhaps things can go back to normal.

Guess we'll see.

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

I think once the weather turns, more people will be logging finds, and spending less time in here.

Once the weather turns, I'll probably be spending more of my time inside and in here. Summertime isn't really a time of year I want to be outside. Yeah, it's a "dry heat" but come out here and experience it during Monsoon Season and tell me what you think! icon_redface.gif

But, I'm not complaining. I'll take the heat anyday, ya'll up north can KEEP your snow! icon_biggrin.gif

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

I think once the weather turns, more people will be logging finds, and spending less time in here.

Once the weather turns, I'll probably be spending more of my time inside and in here. Summertime isn't really a time of year I want to be outside. Yeah, it's a "dry heat" but come out here and experience it during Monsoon Season and tell me what you think! icon_redface.gif

But, I'm not complaining. I'll take the heat anyday, ya'll up north can KEEP your snow! icon_biggrin.gif

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Morrison WaylandersMA:

I grew up in the coastal town of Woods Hole. The late winter, early spring was not the time to go hang at the the local bar. It was full of very grumpy fishermen.

Maybe it is that way with geocaching. People aren't able to get out there because it is too cold or too muddy.

A suggestion on some of the flame baits that have started some controversies. Let's stop posting, "what do you think of this type (cache link) or behavior" where it is trivial to find the person that is being discussed.

Keep it generic and then it will not devolve to ad hominem attacks.

http://mbcf.dfci.harvard.edu/images/1.jpg

Thanks for the good ideas. It is easier to 'sit and surf' than it is to 'hide and seek'. What we need is real Spring. Here in Indiana, we've had some wonderful Spring-like weather. But last night it got down into the low 'teens. I was out today to hide two caches. I saw an egg-mass of tadpoles hatching, and some frozen toadstools.

I suggest that everyone oil up their hiking boots and charge their batteries. Spring is almost here! Then maybe we can ignore those few that post critical and negative stuff.

Bluespreacher

quote:
Originally posted by kleiner:

I did see robins show up on wednesday, so there is hope. I wonder what they find to eat?

The little rascals have been eating up all my holly berries for a month just to make the trip back up your way!! icon_biggrin.gif

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

quote:
Originally posted by kleiner:

I did see robins show up on wednesday, so there is hope. I wonder what they find to eat?

The little rascals have been eating up all my holly berries for a month just to make the trip back up your way!! icon_biggrin.gif

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

It can still be ... but as the numbers grow ... so do opinions and attitudes and everything that goes along with "crowding".

I wouldn't let it get to me if I were you ... just enjoy the good parts of it and ignore the other.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/348_1002.gif

Unfortunately, some people take some issues personally when that was not the intention. Not much you can do about it. The way to keep it from dragging out is to ignore it. The more you respond usually the worse it gets. This simply is human nature.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time....." Just a variation but it still hold true.

I found this website because web-ling was on one of the local news programs. I got interested because it looked like fun and I already owned a Garmin. I stayed because most of the people were are a great bunch. You cannot let a few people let you get discouraged. Yes, most of the negative junk going on lately envolves only a few.

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

These forums are no different from the real world in terms of human interaction, it's just not face-to-face. We have arguments, we form friendships, we develop dislikes toward others, and we engage in politics.

Usually the parties that dislike each other will be civil, but there is always a seed in their soul waiting for a spark to give it life. The spark, in this case, was probably the membership issue. People who really didn't care about the issue saw that their nemesis took a stand and chose to take the opposite stand.

The arguments have run their course and I think most of the discussions on the forums are about things that are (more or less) GPS related. I don't visit these forums as much as I did prior to the membership debates. I saw an argument go on for 45 minutes at an event cache and it came close to getting personal with the debaters. I don't know if I care to go back now. Besides, it's time to get outside and go hiking.

Peace to you all.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

Many people who participate in these forums -- in ALL computer forums, for that matter -- are socially challenged. Like ham radio operators and, in its heyday, CB radio buffs, they want SOME human contact, but not TOO MUCH, and on the other end of a machine where it isn't too threatening.

By depersonalizing the contact, the "rules of engagement" change. Inhibitions are relaxed. People are willing to say things on a CD radio... or in a forum on a computer... that they would NEVER say face to face... hurtful, mean things... the kind of things that could get you a punch in the nose if said face to face. On the computer, they can say those things SAFELY... so they do.

Now, add to the mix two groups of people with hugely different but perhaps equally valid positions, which they each believe in fervently. It is easy in this circumstance to BELIEVE that the people on the other side must be SO STUPID not to see the validity of your position. And to get angry. And name call... And etc.

Expect no changes until human nature changes. And evolution is an EXTREMELY slow process.

Until then, you are the master of your OWN computer. No one FORCES you to read a thread through to the bitter end. If one gets ugly and you are offended... that's what your mouse is for, move on to the next topic.

=================================

Interested in Geocaching in the state of Georgia? Visit the Georgia Geocachers Association at http://www.ggaonline.org

I just keep it simple. Anyone who doesn't agree with me is either an idiot or has a serious case of recto-cranial inversion.

Really, I don't worry about it. People feel anonymous in these settings and say things that they wouldn't have the nerve to say face to face.

Me; if I say it here I'll say it to your face.

quote:
Originally posted by BigDoggie:

By depersonalizing the contact, the "rules of engagement" change. Inhibitions are relaxed. People are willing to say things on a CD radio... or in a forum on a computer... that they would NEVER say face to face... hurtful, mean things... the kind of things that could get you a punch in the nose if said face to face. On the computer, they can say those things SAFELY... so they do.

Now, add to the mix two groups of people with hugely different but perhaps equally valid positions, which they each believe in fervently. It is easy in this circumstance to BELIEVE that the people on the other side must be SO STUPID not to see the validity of your position. And to get angry. And name call... And etc.

Well I can agree with you on those two points, in addition it has a lot to do with the medium, without being able to hear the tonal inflections of anothers voice or be able to see their body language stuff can come off a lot harsher or in a different light then the poster had met, plus it's a lot harder to gauge how others are reacting to your comments then it is in real life.

Who, me?

I agree that things got tense after the "big change" and that was why I stopped reading or contributing to the forums for a few weeks. I haven't even visited the chat sessions, are they still happening?

And I don't consider this an impersonal place to attack someone on the other side of the continent, but that is just me.

Anyone who knows me knows that if I'll write it, say it on the radio, etc., I will back it up in person. I've been told that I have "*alls that clank"... though I don't know if that is a compliment. To keep it simple, speaking my mind, in person or in writing, has never been something I balk at. I attempt to be diplomatic and I don't reduce my discussions to foul-language, slang and slander. Just the facts - as I see them.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize. Not for what I may have said, but I'm sorry if they were offended.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

geobutton1.gif