Magellan 300 problems: please advise

flashkaz

Greetings from a newcomer!

I just purchased a Magellan 300. I know it's an older model, but I have heard even older models can be good for starters.

I'm not the most technically inclined person, but the 300 doesn't seem to work as it should. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

It seems to take forever to get a fix on all three satellites, and impossible in NYC. The batteries are fresh, and I hold the device well away from my body. I followed the instructions, and I think I set it up right for my area.

My question is, is the device faulty, or is it me? Thank you for your input.

Flashkaz

flashkaz

I bought a 300, couldn't get a signal fix, traded it for another and still couldn't. They allowed me to trade it for the newer version of Magellens cheapest line the 310 and still couldn't. Then I went for the 315 and never had a problem. Yet I know another user that has about 250 finds with his 300.

I have since upgraded to the Mag Meridian Platium and love it. I think lots of those 300's are very lousy at getting a fix. I never did get 3 sattelites with any of them.

The 315 was only 20 bucks more and picked up the signals fast and even under a decent tree cover. I suggest moving up soon.

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful

The 300 only has 2 channels with which to recieve sattelite signals...the 310, 315, and newer models are 12 channel recievers.

I had a Pioneer (a 300 without the data port) and found a few caches with it...but I agree about the 315. It's a really good gps.

good luck

oh yea..there's another topic area here called "GPS Units and Software", try loking in there and see what people have had to say.

-pizzachef

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

The 300 only has 2 channels with which to recieve sattelite signals...the 310, 315, and newer models are 12 channel recievers.

I was under the impression that the entire Magellan 300 series used the same receiver but different firmware/software. Anyway, the most important difference between the 300 and the other models is the lack of a data port, which makes the 300 totally non-upgradeable.

The major drawbacks the 300 has to more recent models is that it indicates coordinates to only 2 decimal places, is somewhat slow to lock onto satellites, and is prone to lose lock.

My first 175 finds, including most of the caches located in NYC, were with the Maggie 300. Because it indicates only to two decimal places, you may discover that when your unit indicates "ground zero" that you have a considerably larger area to search than a person using a three decimal unit would.

The Maggie 300 also "averages" readings, and one must do "The Hula Wave" to break averaging. (This is done by holding the Maggie at arms length and quickly moving it in a large arc several times. Do this very often; it has an added benefit that onlookers will keep their distance from you. icon_wink.gif )

It's true that the Maggie 300 can be slow to lock onto satellites, but there have been many times I locked onto 6 or more satellites within the confines of NYC. Make sure the antenna is pointing up; holding the Maggie horizontal greatly handicaps reception. Also, if the Maggie hasn't locked on within a few minutes, turn it off and then on again.

I still use the Maggie 300 in the car (and in the plane, if flying in the NYC area is ever permitted to be fun again) and my daughter uses it when we cache together. All-in-all, we must have used it on upwards of 300 caches. It is a bit fussier than newer models, but it continues to do a pretty good job.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on April 12, 2003 at 07:04 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I was under the impression that the entire Magellan 300 series used the same receiver but different firmware/software. Anyway, the most important difference between the 300 and the other models is the lack of a data port...

Well, Magellan has removed the gps 300 information page from their website. I'm pretty sure the 300 is a re-named Pioneer (2 channel reciever) and the 310 is a renamed Blazer12 (12 channels) with the addition of a data port. I thought the 300 had a data port, but i guess i'm wrong there. Either way, the 300 will work for caching, but a newer one will be nicer and more accurate

-pizzachef