Motorcyles + Geocaching

I'm keen on getting a dual purpose bike, could be used for caching (to hide and seek) if the area allows it of course (no flames thanks).

The ones I'm looking at are the:

- Kawasaki KLR650

- Suzuki 650 (not sure exact model)

- BMW Dakar 650 (not sure exact model)

I'd appreciate comments on these bikes if anyone has one.

My concern though with these bikes is that they are all fairly big and having only driven/ridden a bike a few times I'm not sure. Getting a bike is also all in my head at this stage so it'd be interesting to hear other comments.

Robert

Hey people. I have Honda XL500(street legal). I've riding around the backroads of Prince George for a while and I've found some wicked places to stash geocaches, but I only just found out about geacaching - so as soon as all this snow's gone I'll plant some awesome caches...

I used to ride a Yamaha XTZ 660 Ténéré, and now that I started geocaching it would be a great means of transportation between cache sites! Oh well, other priorities (family!) have taken its place but maybe I can at least use or bring the mountain bike every now and then...

I've had several cycles in the past and we are going to get a pair sometime in the future and thought how great it would be to cruise out to some of the more distant caches on one. I was wondering if there would be someway to mount a GPS on one and also adapt the car power adapter to a cycle.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

I have been riding Dirtbikes for years, and I have ridden the first two bikes that you mentioned, and a larger version of the last bike you mentioned (A BMW Dakar GS R100 1000CC) and which one you want is very dependent upon where you live. In my neck of the woods, Central Florida, I wouldn't have any of them, because they are terrible in the sand and mud. Those bikes are great if you are staying on hard packed dirt, or asphalt most of the time, and you like to haul ***, and have tons of power. Which, is good for some people, but I prefer a smaller bike.

If I had the money, and I were buying a new bike on today's market, I would probably buy a Suzuki DR-Z400E (little brother to number 2 on your list). This is a great all around bike because it has the wider torque bands because of the larger engine, but it is a good bit lighter, and much easier to handle in rough terrain, sand, and mud. You can take it into tricky places and not have to worry about getting it up if you drop it.

Right now I ride 1988 Yamaha XT 350, and I thoroughly enjoy it, it has most of the power I need (it will cruise 95 on a good hard surface). Mechanically it is pretty bulletproof, I can work on it myself; and if I crash it, I only have a thousand bucks in it, and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Antoher thing I would consider if I were in your situation, is your limited experience riding. Knowing what I know, it is much easier to get some good experience in on a smaller bike that you can handle, and beat up a little bit, than it is if you have a larger bike that is a beast, or a 5000 or 6000 dollar bike that you are afraid to take out of the garage. But I think you are approaching it the right way. Whenever I meet someone getting into dirtbikes, I recommend they ride a good 6 months to a year off road, and get the feel for the bike before they hit the streets on a street bike.

As far as caching by dirtbike goes, I love it. It is a great excuse to get out and ride, and I can go a lot of places that I couldn't get to in my 2 wheel drive pick up.

I have a mount for my GPS on my dirtbike, and it seems to work really well, I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum, and Magellan makes a mount for dirtbikes and bicycles. Garmin also has a mount they they make for several different models, I think they call it is a RAM mount. As far as hard wiring it in, I have never really considered it. I can get a good 8 hours on one set of batteries, and I am usually never out much longer than that, and if I am I can always bring some extra batteries.

If you get in the market for a mount, I would just check your GPS manufacturers website and find out what they call their particular mount for a motorcycle, and then start scouring eBay, and other online marketplaces for good deals.

It's got about 34,000 miles on it - very well taken care of by the previous owner(s), although they apparently didn't ride much! I also ride at work - 2002 FLHPI. Probably don't want to meet me on that, though icon_wink.gif

I never really thought about taking it caching, since I usually take my GSD with me with I go. She loves to run in the woods!

I guess on those days that I decide to leave her at home and take a ride, I'll aim for a cache.

John Esher, Jr

Team Guinness

Moved to colorado last year and bought a brand new Suzuki DR650. It is a little heavy and hard to pick up when you tip over (350 lbs) but it has LOTS of power. I bought a mount and put my Sportrack Map on the handle bars and it works great. I have put 2000 miles on the bike sice last aug. (commuting and caching) and now that the weather has warmed up I'll be riding all the time!

"Exploring is never having to say you are lost"!

have a 750 VIRAGO,, with a handle bar mount for my garmin,however my bike has no saddle bag,,so jno place to stash my jacket and helmet while looking for a cache,dropped a glove in the brush,so prefer to use the car if i have to park out of sight of the bike

Yep, i ride,

Have for 30+ years. Have had about all the

bikes you can name, from dirt bikes to road

hogs. I currently have two. I use my 99

Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electraglide

for the longer road rides, and my "old" 97

1100 Honda Shadow "ace" for the shorter ones.

This old dog(48) will never quit riding. You

just can't beat the feeling of freedom....

Team Madapple

West Baden, IN

Exploring the world,,,one Cache at a time !!!!!

I'm looking forward to taking either my Yamaha 650 Maxim or my GL1500 Gold Wing out caching. While I do prefer taking my Subaru, I've been running up way too many miles on it. I have to travel more than an hour to get to any new caches usually, so the bike will be a bit cheaper to operate given the price of gasoline. One concern I have is the security of the machine while I'm tromping through the woods.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I also have a dual sport DRZ 400, ( click my profile for pic) GPSr mounted to right mirror bracket, disconnects in seconds to hand carry. Almost bought the 650, but the 650 actually has a shorter seat height than the 400 (and it's too heavy for my airborne style of riding) I'm 6'6" so the height of the bike was very important to me. The DRZ 400 is the tallest production bike available BTW.

someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.

If you like the narrow 2 track jeep type trails then I too recomend a smaller bike than the 650. I have the KTM 640 and to make a simple U turn on a narrow dirt road you must break loose the rear tire and swing the rear around in a broad slide. With the weight around 350 and the bike extremely tall, this takes some real skill. If you dont do that then you must back the bike up a time or two to get the front end to clear the bank or ditch. But I have another more suitable motorcycle and it is a blast to go geocaching on two wheels.