What is most important to you in a GPSr

umc

I am somewhat limited in the number I have to work with here (5) so please post if I didn't hit the top 4.

I'm just curious what is most important to to everyone when it comes to their GPSr's/what they could not live without.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

[This message was edited by umc on September 23, 2002 at 05:43 PM.]

Many factors but the biggest one it the ability to get and hold a lock (I just lucked out getting the 3+). other important factors are size (compactness w/ as large a screen as possible), downloadable maps (or preinstalled if that's an option), easy user interface, rugged construction and at the very least very water resistant.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

I think they are all important. I agree with the accuracy being number one (so far) but also wish that the Garmin units used a non-proprietary memory card. I say that because I think my next GPSr is going to be the Gramin GPS V because of all the features with the exception of the memory. I think its funny that they make a GPSr made for road travel all over the US and world then limit the memory. But I do feel that if I'm going on a long road trip I will take my Laptop with me and use the mapsource that way.

end of ramble...

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Accuracy is important. But are we mainly talking Geocaching here?

If thats the main use were discussing, then I really like the ones with built in compass. I dont know how many times I've beaten other cachers equipped with better antennas than the little one in my Vista, to the cache. The ability to update a heading while standing still is important to me.