GPS helps locate injured hikers

Guest makaio

Guest makaio

Unfortunately, in this case the hiker passed, but the rescue crew was able to locate them quickly thanks to the GPS they were carrying.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/6000/20010816/lo/885165_1.html

Hence, we should all carry some form of communication while caching. With a cell phone and a GPS, rescue could find you quickly should you need assistance and are capable of making the call.

Guest The Jester

As a mountain climber, an climbing instructor, and a backcountry first aid instructor I'd like to say that carrying a cell phone and GPS can be helpful, but don't depend on them at all times. There are many areas in the mountains that do not have cell coverage. Units can be dropped, batteries go dead and the like. Too many people go out with the expectation that they can be rescued easily because they have these items.

If one really wants to be serious about being found then get yourself an EPIRB and a 406 at that. The reliability of a cell phone in out of the way places is probably not worth risking your life on.

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

we should all carry some form of communication while caching.

Do so if you wanna but it's so NOT necessary, in my opinion. People have been going into the backcountry, much further away from any geocache, since before Lewis & Clark... without a cell phone.

Not everyone:

A) has a cell phone

;) has a desire to ever get a cell phone

C) can afford one

Don't ever rely on a cell phone in a wilderness situation. Rely on knowledge. Someone mentioned cell phones don't work everywhere which is VERY true. If there's a chance you can get so lost that you need someone to help you find your way back, don't go, or else learn wilderness survival skills beforehand and be prepared.

(As far as an EPIRB goes, holy cow, less people can afford those AND if you did have one and you used it, certain agencies will send you a bill for rescueing you so one little push of a button could cost you like 5,000 bucks!)

Guest makaio

I agree, cell phones aren't to be depended upon if you're deep in the forest or out of range, but for the majority of geocachers who don't venture into deep forest or high into the mountains (although in the case of these hikers, their cell phone worked fine from atop Mt Hood), they could come in very handy. Personally, I carry a handheld VHF radio with 99 channels. If I'm ever lost or injured I *can* count on finding someone listening, especially on the emergency channels.

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 18 August 2001).]

EPIRB's certainly aren't cheap especially 406's but the cheaper 121.5 system is being terminated so they won't be a good investment in a few years time.

I suppose it comes down to how lost one might get but then even worse than lost is injured.

This occured over here only in the last month when a lone bushwalker fell down a ravine. He made contact by cell phone but could only describe his injuries and not his exact location. Over the next few days the batteries died and unfortuneately so did he before rescue found him.

A personal Epirb would have probably had a helicopter over him within a few hours instead of the 3 days it took.

Maybe the other issue is don't do bush alone?

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Maybe the other issue is don't do bush alone?

Yeah, it's nice to be out alone in the woods or bush or what-have-you but if something happens to you and no one's there, well, you could be dead depending on the injury, weather, and what the chances are that someone might come along. When you hit that trailhead alone, it's a risk.

When one thinks about it rescue skippers and pilots have been into a variation of the Geocaching theme for quite some time.

The caches are usually some poor soul/s who have "logged" a position (Epirb, GPS/radio etc), while the rescue crews aim is to find them not really knowing what may be at the other end. Probably gets a little more serious than the sport version but the principle is very similar.

Some end in success (and some don't) and no doubt the crews are stoked when they come up trumps.

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:
Originally posted by ManuelCasi:

I think EPRB's are illegal for over land use in the USA. At least I was told this by a special ops guy? Is there anyone that can confirm or deny this?

The system is for saving people no matter if at sea, in the air or on the land.

This following link should answer this question

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/

Cheers, Kerry.

[This message has been edited by Kerry (edited 20 August 2001).]

Is cell phone coverage really that great in your parts. In my area we have coverage in cities and maybe alkong a highway corridor or for 15-20mins outside of a city.

But stray 2mins off of a major highway and forget it.

I can drive in only 2 directions from where I live and maintain any form of cell phone coverage. I'm surprised when I maintain service in the bush as it's a rarity.

Anyone that depends on cell service as a safety item is an idiot and deserves whatever inconvienence befalls them due to their shortsight.

Guest c.mathis

You should never assume that your "gear" is going to save you. It's possible to lose all your gear and you had better have some KNOWLEDGE to deal with the situation. Also, many people have been found dead next to a pile of "survival gear" because they didn't know how to use it.

If you plan to stake your life on a set of batteries, you had better stay home. icon_wink.gif

Guest c.mathis

You should never assume that your "gear" is going to save you. It's possible to lose all your gear and you had better have some KNOWLEDGE to deal with the situation. Also, many people have been found dead next to a pile of "survival gear" because they didn't know how to use it.

If you plan to stake your life on a set of batteries, you had better stay home. icon_wink.gif