A way to geocache without looking suspicious

Bilder

I joined the local trail watch program. It is like a neighborhood watch for the trail system.

Got my armband on Monday. Last night I was out looking for a cache about 20 feet off the trail. A couple people passed by while I was searching and started to give me that "worried look" until they saw the armband. Then they just smiled, gave me a nod and kept on walking.

Good way to give back to the community as well as a good way to look like you belong while searching.

If your area does not have one, maybe you could consider starting one up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

I joined the local http://www.muni.org/mayor/trailwatch.cfm program. It is like a neighborhood watch for the trail system.

Got my armband on Monday. Last night I was out looking for a cache about 20 feet off the trail. A couple people passed by while I was searching and started to give me that "worried look" until they saw the armband. Then they just smiled, gave me a nod and kept on walking.

Good way to give back to the community as well as a good way to look like you belong while searching.

If your area does not have one, maybe you could consider starting one up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Hummm...never heard of a program like that. Great idea. Not sure if there is something like this around here.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

Most of my finds so far have been in busy areas with people going by. The looks that I get are curious ones, not worried. Perhaps you are just acting suspicious? I stop looking like I'm searching for something when people are watching.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

Once after finding a cache that was placed right on the edge of a trail two guys walked down the trail. I pretended to be taking soil samples and entering them in the log book, my GPS was a testing device that I sprinkled drit on and petended to write the results in the log book. They watched for a few seconds got bored and left. I rehid the cache and got out of there.

i think the single best way not to look suspicious is not to FEEL suspicious. i always pretend that i am out engaged in a legitimate sporting exercise.

if i don't want to compromise the cache, i simply stop looking. if any one asks, i'm out scavenger hunting. people have heard of that and it seems harmless. if you're several hundred feet from it, it's easy enough not to give it away. if you're right on top of it, you're mushroom hunting (legitimate use), birdwatching (ditto) looking at wildflowers (you get the idea)...

-====)) -))))))))))))

presta schrader

The one I got caught at was in a park in the city. I usually have no problems with other people around, I just decided that since this one was so close to work I'd do it at lunch.

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

I remember when geocaching meant getting out into nature.

Traffic was not a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Romad_Pilot:

Or you could always be in the CITO mode and carry a trash bag and pick up trash icon_wink.gif

Unfortunately, that might backfire around hunting season... hmm... person dressed in blaze orange picking up trash? It's a convict!

Seriously, though, I tend to have my gear in a photographer's vest, so if there might be people, I just bring my clipboard with me. BAM! Instant GIS researcher! (I suppose I may even look like a grad student researcher... pony tail and all.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Just recently I was with a fellow geocacher who was hunting my most recent cache. The first and second stages are in public places and one of them requires stealth. The first stage does not. The first stage is in a parking lot and is hidden very cleaverly if I may say so.

Anyway, he was hunting for it while I was looking on but ran off to grab my gps. While I was gone there was a couple that came by and asked what he was doing. His response was a classic for me and I still laugh to this day when I thing about it. He responded with (very simple) "I'm checking the equipment". Thats all they needed and moved on.icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....