POLL: Annoying stuff you do with your GPS

TEAM 360

Okay, time for a fun poll. You know you just can't put down that GPS, even while you are not caching. It drives everyone crazy that it appears to be permanently attached to your hand. You are addicted to the readouts, like a techno-junkie, you just can't get enough. What do you do with your GPS that drives other people insane?

Last year as we pulled out of the parking lot as we started the drive to Washington, DC I called out "450 miles to Washington, DC!" . . about a minute later I called out "449 miles to Washington, DC!" . .. this went on for some time.

Amazingly enough, we decided to drive it again this year.... and I'm riding with the SAME people.

Well . .most of them.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Put in a "go-to" and give it to the kids during trips, so they don't have to ask "Are we there yet?"

Cacheola Crew

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

1. Marking "open house" coordinates as my wife and I search for a new home using the address lookup in my Vista.

2. Looking up the nearest "fast food" places as we drive around caching.

3. Checking the altitude my ears "pop" when driving up a mountain.

Alan

Using the search function on my Sportrak to find interesting names. Like:

Assiniboia which like Moose Jaw is in Saskatchewan

Assinippi, MA

Happy, TX pop 588

Y City, AR

Cowlic, AZ

Funk, NE pop 198

Furniture City, GA

Goober Hill, TX

Put In Bay, OH pop 141

-beatnik-

Try to answer as many questions as possible with my unit and saying each time "My GPS says..."

I do this for elevation, time, distance, the next town, population, bodies of water, sunset, moon phase...

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

We just went for a bike ride with Glimpse. He picked up two caches along the way that I had already hit a couple of weeks ago. As we returned to the parking area he bagan to tell us that we traveled 15.6 miles, our average speed was this, our max speed was that, moving time, stopped time, blah-blah blah. I had to chuckle because Missy and I took a walk along the Delaware River a couple of days ago (looking for a spot to hide our first cache)and as we got back to the car I told her that we walked 2.28 miles at this speed.......blah-blah-blah. Birds of a feather are we. Funny stuff.

I am not addicted to geocaching, really.

I had to vote for announcing a nearby cache.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were driving down the road. According to our GPS, we were getting close to a cache. I said, "We're close to the 'balance' cache." My wife said, "Let's go get it!" (I finally got her addicted to caching)

That's when I told her I had marked the waypoint of the cache I was going to PLACE next week...

bandbass.gif

Constantly use the GPS's to see how far our own speedometers are off.

Track ALL our routes so we get back home and look on a map and know EXACTLY where we have been. (This includes runs to McD's.. Work.. How many miles I drove to deliver pizzas all night...)

Hey, anyone know the accuracy of these things versus cop radar? icon_wink.gif

When I bought my first GPSr. I got it off of E-bay and it didn't come with a PC cable. So one day at work I manually punched in 75 someodd coords, when the whole time the "beep" feature was on so I was sitting in my cube at work with a GPS in had going "Beep..beep..beep..beep..beep" and so on...

Finnaly the guy behind me just about went nuts! Screaming "WHERE IS THAT dadgum BEEPING COMEING FROM!!!!" icon_mad.gif I quickly stopped and put it in the silent mode and contiued to punch in coords. icon_biggrin.gif

A wise man once said... "Its better to be pissed off than pissed on!"