RANT

Has this happened to you yet? You log on to geocaching, do a search and find a cache that hasn't been found yet. You drop everything and run out to find it only to discover that you are not the first one to find it! It had been found days ago but never logged online. icon_mad.gif GRRRR! icon_mad.gif This has happened to me a few times now. Why, why, why don't people log their finds online!?!?!? icon_mad.gif They have to get online to find coordinates.

I'm going out tomorrow to look for a cache that was placed two months ago and still has not had anyone log a find online. Ten bucks says the log book is already signed. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I agree that cachers should log their finds on this site, but who really cares who's first to find a cache?

In some cases perhaps the cache was cross posted to one of the other geocaching websites and the finder uses the other site, rather than this one.

This could be why you don't log the find here...that or they're lazy.

Sometimes out here you want to be first because a cacher will place a "first finder" certificate in the cache.

I've had one bug never get logged by a user but it was placed in another cache. The user just didn't know how to go about it I guess. Still it was picked up again and logged correctly so it all worked out.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

And sometimes folks plan on finding a few caches (may or may not include "first finds") at their vacation destination, but won't have (or want) internet access until they return home.

But I've logged "first finds" on caches that nobody has attempted over several months ... so good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Quest:

...You drop everything and run out to find it only to discover that you are not the first one to find it! It had been found days ago but never logged online. icon_mad.gif GRRRR! icon_mad.gif ...

Man, if that spools you up, you're overdue for a stroke. icon_eek.gif

You don't carry any firearms or sharp objects while you're out geocaching, do you? icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

You got a right to be ticked off, people should log there finds online. I mean why be a sneak, is being stealth-cacher that important to people?Come on its just a game.Jeremy should change the way people search or view caches, you should have to have an account and log in to view or get co-ords.

Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong - Dennis Miller

Hea 72% i'm with ya all the way I really enjoy being FTF it puts a little compition in the game nothing wrong with that. Seems myself(female) and a few of men in the area feel the same way because one of us is always FTF. Besides some caches have no view or are not in the wilderness I say go for it!

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:

Has this happened to you yet? You log on to geocaching, do a search and find a cache that hasn't been found yet. You drop everything and run out to find it only to discover that you are not the first one to find it! It had been found days ago but never logged online. icon_mad.gif GRRRR! icon_mad.gif This has happened to me a few times now.

I'm planning a trip out to find a cache that was hidden almost a year ago to the day. It hasn't had any logged (online) finds yet but I'm sure someone will have probably beaten me to it by the time I get there. Its no big deal, we're supposed to be doing this for the fun of it,....... right ?

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

quote:
Originally posted by blind-dog:

You got a right to be ticked off, people should log there finds online. I mean why be a sneak, is being stealth-cacher that important to people?

Come on its just a game.Jeremy should change the way people search or view caches, you should have to have an account and log in to view or get co-ords.

How would that force anyone to log online if they don't want to?

quote:

Why, why, why don't people log their finds online!?!?!? icon_mad.gif They have to get online to find coordinates.

Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves, too. It seems like such a simple gesture of 'thanks' to the person who placed the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by blind-dog:

Jeremy should change the way people search or view caches, you should have to have an account and log in to view or get co-ords.

I'd like to see that happen, too. (Or at least to allow cache owners the choice of hiding their coordinates from those who don't sign in.)

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Hea 72% i'm with ya all the way I really enjoy being FTF it puts a little compition in the game nothing wrong with that. Seems myself(female) and a few of men in the area feel the same way because one of us is always FTF. Besides some caches have no view or are not in the wilderness I say go for it!

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

The FTF competition is health... It get's me searching for caches at 10pm at night in the rain. I've actaully placed some one time only caches as gifts to the local cachers. Where the FTF is rewarded for their passion.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

This thread has actually been pretty interesting to me. Our not posting was originally somewhat contrived. As in, you kids can't have accounts and post on the internet because of xxx (past problem). Since you can't post, you can't trade, since you can't indicate what you took and what you left...

Real objective, enjoy the hunt for its own sake, don't get too interested in the trinkets.

Use a map and compass, so a useful skill is being learned, and it seemed pretty harmless.

It had honestly never occured to me that, by letting the kids sign the physical log, we were potentially robbing someone of enjoyment.

Frankly, I don't get it. The game seems focused on count, and enjoying the journey. Why cache at night and miss the view, just to be first?

But, my own sporting goals might also seem silly to other people. It matters to me if I lead a pitch or second it. Using chipped holds, stepping on bolt heads, and yarding on pro (French aid) all diminish a climb for me.

I'm not sure what I'll do with my new found perspective. Part of me thinks that we should leave fresh log books unsigned. That way, those of you who really care can pretend you are first. Part of me thinks that I should sneak back after the kids are done and write 'Neiner Neiner TS on you!'

-jjf