accuracy?

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I've seen several posts that mention there unit showed +/- "X" accuracy. Is this a feature on most newer GPSR's or a certain brand?

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

This is a feature on most GPS's, certainly all of the Garmin line. It's a relative value. That is it's meant to indicate that while you GPS indicates accuracy of 8 feet, it has far more favorable conditions than while it indicates an accuracy of 108 feet. The first variable that affects accuracy is the geometric Dilution of precision (DOP), (that is are the satelites favorably dispersed, or are they tightly clustered making a calculated position likely less accurate) Most units also try to estimate ionospheric delay, and other factors that cause errors. The important thing is that this value displayed is only a relative combined measurment/estimate of many factors. It is not an absolute value. You are not necessarily 8 feet away when it displays 8 feet. (but you are probably closer!)