Wow! All those Geocoins!

VentureForth

Now then, before I get knocked over the side of the head with a Garmin, I would like to say that there can NEVER be too many geocoins!

So what do I mean?

There seem to be a lot of people getting various geocoins minted and selling them and spending the money to track them, etc.

Like Waypoint, and Moun10bike (who I must say has been MIA for a while...did he fall in a geopit?), other Texas geocoins, and of course the Canadian geocoins, and more in California, etc....

They are becoming quite the collectible.

What I am interested in knowing is:

A) Do people who have them made to sell find the effort worth it, and even if you don't make your investment back, is it still a labor of love?

and

:) People who just make them as their calling card - Has the investment been worth the response?

It really isn't THAT expensive if you've got it. I think it's an awesome contribution to the community, and maybe I'll get my coin done someday! icon_smile.gif

VF

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

[This message was edited by VentureForth on September 19, 2002 at 08:15 AM.]

For those who have their geocoins numbered in order to track, is there anything immoral about keeping them as a souvenier? I mean, if I find a Canadian geocoin in a Texas cache, I'm gonna put it up on the wall!

But I would never do that with a travel bug. I also wouldn't want to buy Canadian coins for souveniers. I want to FIND my souveniers. I also wouldn't buy Canadian coins 'cause I'm a Texan. I WOULD think about buying other geocoins to spread out into caches. Examples would be Geocache Treasure which have no 'territory' imprinted on them, and Texas Geocoins so I could spread a li'l Texas when go international caching (like to Oklahoma). If I find a Waypoint15 coin, I'm a-gonna keep 'er. Same with a Moun10Bike coin.

Am I way off my rocker?

---------------

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Unless they have permission from Groundspeak, they shouldn't be making back any money on them at all icon_eek.gif

I don't think it's unreasonable to get your money BACK. It's different than making a PROFIT. I don't have a problem with people selling geocoins... Jeremy doesn't either. I think that's been discussed, and even though they are selling them, no one is getting rich off of them.

Now, if someone out there is eating better frozen pizza than Jeremy from selling geocoins, I would have a problem with that.

---------------

I originaly wanted to mint the TX Geocoin so as not be outdone by those d**n Candanians! But, after Mr G. was kind enough to share their experiences, my animosity slowly faded icon_wink.gif and I looked at the TX Geocoin more as a contribution to caching! (And, of course, TEXAS had to have one before any of the lesser 49 states!)

quote:
I mean, if I find a Canadian geocoin in a Texas cache, I'm gonna put it up on the wall!

There'd better not be any Canadian brass down here in TEXAS!! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Unless they have permission from Groundspeak, they shouldn't be making back any money on them at all

I'll be lucky to make enough of a profit to cover my annual Charter Membership dues!! icon_frown.gif Besides, with www.geocaching.com stamped onto every coin, I should be charging them for advertising!! icon_biggrin.gif (Just kidding, Jeremy, please don't wipe out all my finds!)

Frozen pizza?? All I can afford is ketchup on bread!

txwood.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

I don't think it's unreasonable to get your money BACK. It's different than making a PROFIT. I don't have a problem with people selling geocoins... Jeremy doesn't either. I think that's been discussed, and even though they are selling them, no one is getting rich off of them.

A while back, someone had made a very cool circular geocaching patch. They graciously sent them out for free to those who requested, but said that they couldn't accept any money at all for them, not even to cover mailing. I just assumed that they had contacted groudspeak and asked.

snazzsig.jpg

Ventureforth asked:

What I am interested in knowing is:

:) People who just make them as their calling card - Has the investment been worth the response?

To me the investment has been worth the response. I have gotten several really nice emails from folks who have found my 'Team BigHank Cache Coins', and that has been my "payback" for having them made and leaving them.

I will usually leave two in a cache: one to be taken by another finder, and one for the cache owner (unless I've already left one in another cache done by that owner). It's just another facet of my enjoyement of 'caching, and for me it is definitely worthwhile.

Hank

Do a search for coin mints on google or something else of your preference, and see what's out there. There's a good minting company up in Washington, and I think the Canadians get theirs done locally.

Price will vary. You're looking at between $400 - $1200 design fee and like $1-2 a coin, or NO design fee and $4-5 per coin. Some have minimum quantities of 50 or 500, some don't.

I'd say that a minimum investment to get started would be around $1000 for a simple design on up to $2000 for a more complex design and smaller quantity.

There are many metals that look great, too. There are proprietary alloys like "Merlin Gold" - a copper-bronze that looks like Gold.

I still haven't seen any geocoins done in .999 silver.....

---------------

quote:

For those who have their geocoins numbered in order to track, is there anything immoral about keeping them as a souvenier? I mean, if I find a Canadian geocoin in a Texas cache, I'm gonna put it up on the wall!

I have some of the new Geochips from Crusso. I have mine numbered and an email address for responses. If you were to find one of mine and decide to keep it as a souvenier, I wouldn't mind as long as you emailed me to let me know. That way I would be able to know which ones were still circulating, as well as where the chip came from and maybe add more in cache trips to that area.

icon_wink.gif

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

We, at Groundspeak, are really not trying to rain on anyone's parade.

However, please note that no individual or company should be producing geo-coins using the Geocaching.com logo, in any form, without express written permission from Groundspeak a/k/a Grounded Inc. To do so would constitute a violation of our Trademark rights and would require Grounded Inc. to take appropriate action to enforce our rights in the mark.

Please consult the Geocaching Logo Usage and Trademark Information Guidelines for further information and, hopefully, to gain a better understanding of our policy and reasons for the policy:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.asp

Additionally, please feel free to send permission requests and/or related questions to logo@Groundspeak.com.

Best Wishes and Happy Geocaching.

Sincerely,

Bryan

Groundspeak

The last thing I want to do is tick off anyone at Geocaching.com, Groundspeak, Grounded, Inc., (whatever name they are going by) but I tried, repeatedly, prior to producing the TX Geocoin, to contact them regarding usage of the logo and never received ANY response, positive or negative. If they want to be hard-nosed about it, I'll change the design of the TX Geocoin but the way I look at it, anything that promotes geocaching is good for them and I promise to send ANY after tax profits to Jeremy! (Luckily I have that offshore partnership with Enron!) icon_eek.gif

Whew, it feels good to get that off my chest icon_rolleyes.gif

txwood.JPG

I was surprised by Neuman's experience of not getting a reply from geocaching.com. We are in the process of getting Team FISUR geocoins which include a variation of the geocaching logo (they'll have a Rhode Island touch). We asked permission for the design from logo@Groundspeak.com, and we received permission in less than 48 hours of the request. Maybe they just don't like Texans. icon_razz.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif. Perhaps it was less complicated to provide permission since our coins will not be for sale.

quote:

quote:

A) Do people who have them made to sell find the effort worth it, and even if you don't make your investment back, is it still a labor of love?

Unless they have permission from Groundspeak, they shouldn't be making back any money on them at all icon_eek.gif

http://geo.mrsnazz.com/snazzsig.jpg

What someone sells on their own time and own site (WITHOUT the Geocaching logo!!!) is their own business! If someone makes $1 million selling some sort of item that is in high demand to put into geocaches then that's got nothing to do with Groundspeak or Geocaching.com whatsoever!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I found my first Geocoin (Texas) a week ago. I was under the impression it was like a Travel Bug, but after emailing the fellow from Texas who placed it in Kennewick, WA, I was informed I may keep it! Yahoo! They are beautiful, made of brass, and a most worthy cache find. I may eventually place it in another cache, but at least my conscience won't bother me now if I keep it. icon_cool.gif

quote:

I also wouldn't buy Canadian coins 'cause I'm a Texan.

I'm a ding dong daddy from Dumas,

And you ought to see me do my stuff.

Why I'm a clean cut fella from Honors Corner,

Oooh you ought to see me strut.

I'm a caper cuttin cutie, got a gal called Katie;

She's a little heavy lady and a call up baby.

I'm a ding dong daddy from Dumas,

And you ought to see me strut....

I really like how the Tx Geocoins and the Canadian geocoins are so similar. It would be neat to collect 'like designs' from every state!

Someone just needs to front the $$$ to make 'em everywhere...

quote:
Originally posted by Pubo:

...I'm a ding dong daddy from Dumas...

LOL!

---------------

Having aquiring and keeping with permission one of Moun10Bike coins #71. #1 through #70 are traveler and I would not have kept them.

I looked into creating my ownbut big problem I found was the average cost of the coins themselves. At $3+ each it would prove to costly to leave them as a signature item since I have found over 500 caches.

My question is has any one found a place that could produce coins out of some lesser metal such as alumimum that would bring the cost down to around $1.

My present signature item which is a small round tin with sand dollar or sand cookie inside with story cost me in this range to produce so switching to coins at this cost would be a wash.

I will look into the clay poker chips. That might be a solution.

Team Sand Dollar

quote:
Originally posted by Team Sand Dollar:

Having aquiring and keeping with permission one of Moun10Bike coins #71. #1 through #70 are traveler and I would not have kept them.

Just to clarify, all of my geocoins are now Travel Bugs. I had initially stopped with #70 because so many went missing, but that created a lot of confusion so I reinstated them as travelers. I still don't mind if people keep them, though, although I prefer to see those that have made 2000+ miles continue their travels.

I also have 500+ finds under my belt, so I understand the cost issue with leaving a coin at every cache. I stopped doing that after about 100 coins. I now only leave the coins at special caches, and am looking for a lower cost item to leave as a signature in other caches.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

What someone sells on their own time and own site (WITHOUT the Geocaching logo!!!) is their own business! If someone makes $1 million selling some sort of item that is in high demand to put into geocaches then that's got nothing to do with Groundspeak or Geocaching.com whatsoever!

Yeah, IF they aren't using the geocaching logo (modified or not!). The canadian, texas, and moun10bike geocaching coins incorporate distinctive parts of the geocaching logo.

I fail to see how your response relates to my statement.

snazzsig.jpg

quote:

I know y'all are kina buddy buddy, but you think he'd do that for anyone with coins? Perhaps for a fee???

I noticed a poll on anouther forum posted by jeremy (if I recall correctly), asking if people would like to buy travelbug activations online without the tags. So, it sounds like something might be in the works along those lines, or at least on the drawing board icon_smile.gif

snazzsig.jpg

I placed a wooden nickel in my newest cache as a prize for the first finder. It had my avatar and "First Finder" on one side, and an image relating to the cache and the cache's name on the other. I made it myself with a woodburner. I'm just starting to use the thing, so the artwork was far from perfect, but I plan on making more of these as signature items. You can't beat the smell of a woodburner in action!

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

Moun10bike:

How'd ya get your coins to be tracked like travel bugs? Jeremy set up a series of numbers for you? I know y'all are kina buddy buddy, but you think he'd do that for anyone with coins? Perhaps for a fee???

Yes, Jeremy set up a series of numbers for me. He did so as a thank-you to me for helping out with various admin duties. He has stated publicly that doing so was a special case, and that he cannot do it again for others. However, as indicated in the thread that Mr. Snazz references, he is looking at ways of setting up Travel Bugs to essentially allow everyone to do the same thing.

By the way, Jeremy probably doesn't appreciate being called "buddy buddy" with me! icon_biggrin.gif We just happen to live in the same town, and I've tried to help him and the web site out where I can.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

An email received today:

quote:
I am writing today regarding your use of the Groundspeak Geocaching 4-square logo on your TX Geocoins. First off, please understand that we truly appreciate your demonstration of loyalty to our logo and the inclusion of www.geocaching.com on your coin.

However, as stated in our logo licensing guidelines, "The Groundspeak Geocaching Logos may be used only on non-commercial items." Accordingly, your sale of TX Geocoins containing our logo [or derivation thereof], for profit, directly violates our policy and infringes upon our trademark.

As you may or may not have read in our guidelines, Grounded, Inc. a/k/a Groundspeak started using the Groundspeak Geocaching logos over one year ago. To Geocachers and others alike, the Groundspeak Geocaching logos have come to symbolize Geocaching. It has become our signature "trade dress." After all, the only reason that people think of this logo in association with Geocaching is because we used the logo on our Geocaching.com Web Site and associated promotional merchandise.

We recognize that things do get more complicated, though, when an image like the logo is so widely known that it comes to symbolize not just our products and services but also the entire game/sport of Geocaching. This is a good thing, and we want it to continue. But trademark law is sticky on this point. If a trademark isn't "protected" (by letters asking people not to use it, or by licenses that allow them to use it only in specific ways), it gets into the public domain and loses its protected status. If this happened, anyone could use the logo without restriction, including in ways that were detrimental to Geocaching.

Despite your presumably genuine claim of attempting to seek permission (we have read the forums) prior to producing and selling these coins, permission to sell these coins commercially has not been granted.

Consequently, in order to protect our trademark rights in the Groundspeak Geocaching 4 Square logo, and upon advice of counsel, we must respectfully request that you immediately cease and desist marketing, selling, distributing or otherwise displaying the above referenced Geocaching logo on any products whatsoever, including specifically, TX Geocoins.

Sincerely,

Bryan Roth

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Direct 206.302.7721 x103

Fax 206.374.8161

www.Geocaching.com

You are the search engine

and my reply:

I appreciate your email regarding the use of the geocaching logo. Please indulge me on the following points:

1)As I have stated on many occasions, I made several attempts to obtain permission from Jeremy to use the geocaching logo on the TX Geocoin. As I knew, at that time, permission had been granted to at least 2 companies/individuals (Canadian Geocoin & Moun10bike), the lifetime use of both being WELL over 25 units, I therefore assumed that there would be no problem with the logo being used on the TX geocoin as well.

2)Also, as I have stated on many occasions, I make no profit whatsoever on the TX geocoin. As a matter of fact I am currently LOSING money on this venture, but, unlike some, I am not doing this for the money but rather for the love of geocaching.

3) Lastly, a "commercial item" would be one that promotes a company or product, or that makes money for said company (see #2 above). The only thing that the TX Geocoin promotes is geocaching, www.geocaching.com and, in doing so, Grounded, Inc. (and, of course, the Great State of TEXAS!) In this respect, I do not see how the TX Geocoin has "wounded" your company in any way.

Having said all of this and in the hopes of avoiding any drawn out legal battles, I would like to, again, request permission to continue using your logo on the TX geocoin. If anyone profits from this, it is you. I will be happy to open my books for your perusal if you believe otherwise.

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Neuman

quote:

I WOULD think about buying other geocoins to spread out into caches. Examples would be http://www.geocachetreasures.com which have no 'territory' imprinted on them, and http://www.txgeocoins.com so I could spread a li'l Texas when go international caching (like to Oklahoma). If I find a Waypoint15 coin, I'm a-gonna keep 'er. Same with a Moun10Bike coin.

Am I way off my rocker?

---------------

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Well, I live up here in OKC, and I would love to grab one of those TX coins. Why not drop a few off up here?

I agree with you about not buying an ''Out-of-State'' coin. If you are not from there, or are not there on vacation, it is just not the same thing. It is much more fun to ''FIND'' such coins.

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by FISUR:

I was surprised by Neuman's experience of not getting a reply from geocaching.com. We are in the process of getting Team FISUR geocoins which include a variation of the geocaching logo (they'll have a Rhode Island touch). We asked permission for the design from logo@Groundspeak.com, and we received permission in less than 48 hours of the request. Maybe they just don't like Texans. icon_razz.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif. Perhaps it was less complicated to provide permission since our coins will not be for sale.

So, by "will not be sold", you are saying that one person is paying for all of the coins, and is then giving them away for free?

If someone is having it set up, and then others are going to "help" pay to have them made, that sounds to me like selling them.

I don't mean to be a BIG pain, just a thorn that makes people think about just how a lawyer might look at things....

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Maybe I don't completely understand what you are saying. icon_confused.gif I'm paying for my Team FISUR coins on my own. There are no others who are going to "help" pay. And yes, my team (i.e., my family) will be giving them away as signature items. Are you saying I should charge my children? Now that's an idea. icon_wink.gif (Kids, get out the piggy banks!)

quote:
At least the lawyers are making money off of geocaching!

Neuman, give them a break. They have to protect the image or anyone could use it including form means less noble than your own. I am sure it was just an oversite that they missed your requests. I know the administration was very quick to reply to the TAG (Tallahassee Area Geocachers) request and grant permission to use the logo on our website ***Start Shameless Plug www.nettally.com/gohlke/geocaching/ End Shameless Plug***

I am willing to bet that if you send another nice email asking for retroactive permission, it would be granted. Under copyright law, if they don't take steps to stop people that they know about from using the logo without permission, they can lose the right to it. A court would probably say that since you posted in their forum that you used it without permission, it was reasonable to expect them to know about it, and they should take action.

It is interesting that here in Canada, it is not illegal to recieve money in exchange for "services" rendered... HOWEVER discussion of the price or the where and how IS illegal.

This leads me to think that IF someone happened to give you some money for no reason and you happened to give them a TX Goin for no reason, then you'd be within the "law"!!!

Anyways, As far as what this guys is saying... the fear here is the dilution of the trademark. Of course, your point that you are giving Geocaching.com FREE advertising is valid too!

I think the reasonable thing would for them to review your product and then give you permission, perhaps charging you $0.01 per coin as royalties.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Effective immediately, sales of the TX Geocoin will be put on hold pending the outcome of discussions with Grounded, Inc., regarding a licensing agreement for the continued use of the geocaching logo. I am in hopes that my compliance with their request will be viewed favorably and that an equitable agreement will be forthcoming that will allow sales of the TX geocoin to resume.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Neuman

i think your referring to this:

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=8080979883&m=5720969925

or

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=8080979883&m=3250970035

quote:

I noticed a poll on anouther forum posted by jeremy (if I recall correctly), asking if people would like to buy travelbug activations online without the tags. So, it sounds like something might be in the works along those lines, or at least on the drawing board icon_smile.gif

http://geo.mrsnazz.com/snazzsig.jpg

whack.gif

As I have stated before, it was never my intention to violate anyone's trademark rights in the production of the TX Geocoin. Grounded, Inc has been very reasonable and I have I done my best to comply with their requests.

As I have been contacted by fellow geocachers from other states requesting information on how to produce their own geocoin and to clarify Grounded, Inc's position on the use of their trademark, I post the following in an effort to avoid any confusion in the future:

quote:

Neuman,

Sure, no problem.

1) Although permission has been given to some to use the Groundspeak Geocaching logo on products for sale, permission has also been denied to others for a variety of reasons. You knew that permission had not been granted to you and despite your good faith believe and assumption that “there would be no problem,” you produced goods for sale bearing the Geocaching Trademark without permission. This assumption was not correct.

2) The specific language in our logo usage policy states, “We are also willing to make allowances for those of you who have creative ideas and want to do something fun for your friends and fellow Geocachers. The Groundspeak Geocaching Logos may be used only on non-commercial items. These items may include, but are not limited to shirts, hats, coins, logbooks, stickers and cache containers. If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted. These items may not, under any circumstance, be sold.” We honestly believe that this policy is extremely fair as it provides broad freedom to Geocachers to use our logo. In violation of this policy, you are selling these items that “may not, under any circumstance, be sold. While we truly appreciate your love for Geocaching, we do not appreciate you selling these coins, for profit or otherwise, without our permission.

3) While we do appreciate the promotion, the ‘wound’ originates from your violation of our policy and the potential impact it may have on our ability to enforce our rights in the trademark against everyone else that would now believe it ok to place our trademark on their goods for sale. Please understand that as developers and owners of the Groundspeak trademark, we believe that our right to maintain and control the use of the trademark is invaluable. Your continued sale of these products without our permission directly impacts this right and is therefore unacceptable to us.

At this point, we are once again respectfully requesting that you immediately cease and desist marketing, selling, distributing or otherwise displaying the Geocaching logo on the TX Geocoins. Once you have complied with this reasonable request, please feel free to contact me and I would be more than happy to discuss a logo licensing agreement with you for the continued use of the logo on a product or products for sale.

Sincerely,

Bryan

And after complying with their requests:

quote:
Yes, you have complied. Thank you very much for your prompt response....

Thanks for your continued patience and cooperation.

I am looking forward to working this out.

Hopefully, we will get this all settled in the very near future. Until then, sales of the TX geocoin will stay on hold. The web page, however, will remain active for logging of the TX Geocoins already in circulation.

txwood.JPG

Any time a company has a trademark, they absolutely must defend their right to it whenever and where ever it is used without permission. A company cannot selectively enforce the copyright law. It has to be enforced every time.

Case in point, once upon a time, I took the Totally Ferret ferret food logo and jazzed it up by adding some ferret faces to it. It looked like they were peeping out from behind the logo. It was really only for my personal use on the can in which I kept the food.

Then, I thought, "Hey, I'll put this on the web so others can do the same thing. It'll be OK since I'm not selling it." Turns out that it was not OK in the least. Trish from Performance Nutrition sent me an email telling me to remove it or face legal action. She told me that even though it's meant in good faith and to promote the product, that they could lose their copyright if they allowed me to distribute it. She also sent me a "no hard feelings" thank you gift since she knew I was such a huge advocate of Totally Ferret. (It literally saved my first ferret's life.)

So, Groundspeak has to be this way or they could completely lose their protection under law. Some porn company could then put the logo on their video boxes and Groundspeak couldn't do anything about it.

[This message was edited by CreagerStone Family on October 04, 2002 at 01:04 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

So, Groundspeak _has_ to be this way or they could completely lose their protection under law. Some porn company could then put the logo on their video boxes and Groundspeak couldn't do anything about it.

I agree with Groundspeak's decision to protect their logo, and don't want to take this thread off into some convoluted direction but... geoporn?

Nevermind.... I don't want to know.

We received initial permission from Groundspeak for 100 Team FISUR geocoins to be used as signature items. However, within 48 hours of posting a photo of the coin, we received an e-mail from Groundspeak indicating that based upon recent legal advise, it "must not allow modifications of the logo." As a result, we cannot produce more coins with the same design. The die we invested in can't be used for another set of coins. Although this is disappointing, both financially and personally, it appears that the people at Groundspeak aren't out to get us. They're protecting their trademark as recommended by their attorney. Cache On, Team FISUR

13929_2500.jpg

It sounds to me like we need to come up with a new, unencumbered, geocaching logo for this type of use. Meaning no disrespect to Groundspeak, and I understand their situation, but this is getting to be a real bummer. icon_frown.gif

Is there some artisticly talented graphical artist that could create a new, public domain logo for use by the rest of the geocaching community at large? Something that could perhaps become as commonly recognized as the Groundspeak logo for geocaching, but that could still be freely modified to produce signature items and custom geocoins, etc., without the risk of legal entanglements? Surely this could be done, and it is starting to sound like it is time for this to occur...

icon_rolleyes.gif

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone. I'm a paying member here, and don't want to harm Groundspeak in any way.

But there is clearly a need for a public domain generic geocaching symbol that is commonly recognizable and not owned by any authority and is freely usable and customizable. It is a shame that current trademark laws prevent the logo we are all familiar with to be used in this way. icon_frown.gif