Inactive Cache time

mitzydog

Hi there was wondering what the procedure was for dealing with a cache that has not been visited in say 60 days. Should I keep it active in the hope that there might be some visitors still to come. What is the normal time before closing them down, am I just being impatient?

If a year passes between visits then hunters are still seeking it. Leave it be.

All the local cachers may have found it already. Now you just be patient and wait for anyone travelling through the area to visit it.

Just check up on it every now and then. People will come,

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Mitzy,

There's really no reason to archive the cache for lack of visitors. It's not hurting anything sitting out there, is it?

I'd just let it be... it will be found eventually.

One reason you might archive an otherwise perfectly good cache is that if you are moving away and won't be able to maintain it yourself, or instead you could find a local cacher to adopt it.

Jamie

I don't know where you're from, but here in Minnesota, we have poison ivy, stinging nettles, thick undergrowth full of thorns, 90 degree heat with 90% humidity, and mosquitos the size of B-52 bombers during the summer time, and some of our more active cachers don't hunt this time of year. Folks are also busy with cookouts, county fairs, rock festivals, boating, fishing, etc. etc. etc. I also have a pair of caches that haven't been visited that often, but the logs from those who have visited have been really positive. There is something that attracted you to the area where you placed your cache, and i understand you want to share it with others, just give it time. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

Think Globally, Act Locally

This is quite normal, especially for caches that take some effort to get to. My experience is that once the group of hardcore local Geocachers find a cache (in northern NJ that's about 10-15), it can go unvisited for long periods. Once the initial "find flurry" ends (the first 2-3 weeks after placement) most of my caches will go 2-3 months between visits.

What's the harm in leaving it there? There are always new people taking up the sport and vacationers or business traveler who come to the area. It will get visits eventually.

What I find odd is how many of my caches will go 2-3 months without a hit, then suddenly there will be flurry of visits, maybe 3 or 4, over a week or two

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

How does one adopt a cache? We have a situation here in the south SF bay area where a cacher is moving across the country and has asked another cacher to adopt her cache. Can he actually take it over, or ? How does that work? It'll still be under the first cacher's name, right?

Becky

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

How does one adopt a cache?

I've adopted two, and the easiest way to get it done is to have both you and the current owner email Jeremy about the adoption. In my case, the cache was transferred in a few hours after we both emailed him.

Jamie

Consider this cache in Nome Alaska. Kougarok I've been watching it the better part of a year. He still doesn't have a hit. Maybe his cache description says why:

"Near the beginning of the new world. Remote Alaska. Be prepared for anything."

He's seems kinda lonely up there. Maybe you can visit him. British Columbia isn't that far is it? icon_smile.gif

Alan

Consider this cache in Nome Alaska. Kougarok I've been watching it the better part of a year. He still doesn't have a hit. Maybe his cache description says why:

"Near the beginning of the new world. Remote Alaska. Be prepared for anything."

He's seems kinda lonely up there. Maybe you can visit him. British Columbia isn't that far is it? icon_smile.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

If a year passes between visits then hunters are still seeking it. Leave it be.

All the local cachers may have found it already. Now you just be patient and wait for anyone travelling through the area to visit it.

What are people's thoughts about archiving a cache after a year, moving it to a new hiding place in the same area, and starting it anew? That would give locals a new cache to log and would help distribute wear & tear on the location. That would be easy to do where I live because there are often scores of potential hiding places in a given area.