Suggestions for newbies, experts please read and post.....

Originally posted by Markwell:

Don't:

Wander off the path because the GPS says it's over there 0.15 miles. Chance are your path will wind you closer to the cache. Only leave the path when it's obvious that you can't get there any other way.

As a fellow newbie, I can attest to this! I went off the trail on a 1/1.5 and turned it into a 1/4 or 5! Went back with my hubby today, walked the trail and had a LOVERLY time! LOL This is now our #1 rule.

The other thing is to learn about the different ways coordinates are listed. I suddenly realized our 3rd time out that the coords listed on the map I printed from MapQuest (before we got the streets software!) listed in degrees decimal instead of minutes decimal as on the detail pages, so we had the wrong coords along! Anyway, I don't "know it all" about those different listing methods, but I know enough to look at how they are "punctuated" or "spaced" as the best way to know I'm comparing apples to apples.

moosiegirl (Candy)

[This message was edited by moosiegirl on April 14, 2002 at 06:55 PM.]

DO:

Always take more water than you think you need, and any clothing appropriate to being stuck overnight on longer caches.

Water and appropriate clothing can see you through the night if all really goes wrong.

You did tell someone where you were going, didn't you?

DONT start a 4/4 cache that the owner says takes 5 hours with 2 hours of daylight left!

If it’s a well-traveled or highly used public area make sure no one sees you retrieve the Cache.

While you are examining the contents keep an eye out for incoming traffic. You don’t want to invite curiosity or suspicion that might lead to a stolen Cache.

Pat in Louisiana

18371_200.jpg

I never get lost. I simply investigate alternate destinations.

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner4:

The hardest part of "lessons learned" is learning the lesson.

We went on a cache quest this weekend. Didn't take adequate water or insect repellent. Not a good idea in Hawaii. _We survived, and I think next time we won't be in such a hurry to hit the trail._

Isn’t that the truth! After all my posts about protecting yourself against ticks after I got bit by one, I went off on the trail today without tucking my clothes in, no insecticide, etc. I figured, oh, it’s only a short walk; doesn’t look like I have to go off trail. Wrong! Plus I forgot to mark the car’s waypoint. Again. Learn the lesson!

Alan

After not making it back to my car before the park gates were locked at 10pm,(I got there around 11pm) and the rescue party was gearing up to go searching for me, the park ranger very nicely suggested that before going to hike the trails...

"Please stop in the office and let them know that you are going into the woods/forest." Then she invited me to be sure to come back and visit again!

Sounds reasonable to me and only takes a small amount of time, you might even pick up some trail MAPS while in the office. They sure can come in handy.

The harder you work,the harder it is to give up.

Vince Lombarde

DO rehide the cache so as not to draw attention to it. DO NOT line up a bunch of sticks on top of it. DO draw inspiration from the area around you. DO scatter leaves. DO set rocks at natural angles. DO recognize that disturbed rocks, sticks, leaves, etc look different from undisturbed rocks, etc and plan accordingly.

There's nothing more discouraging than arriving at a cache site and spotting the cache immediately because the previous cacher set five or six sticks on top of the cache (in parallel, no less) or turned over rocks to rehide the cache, thus creating an obvious difference between the cache site and the rest of the area.

Sorry about the rant. Pet peeve.

When you return to your car after geocaching do not set the gps on the roof of your car or you might forget about it like I have done three or four times (luckily I have a luggage rack on my SUV so it was still there). Has anyone else ever done this?

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.

DO bring water.

DON'T come unprepared.

Prepare:

the car - maps, keys, hide a key, spare tire, road emergency kit, gas, toll money, snacks, extra clothes/shoes, rain gear, blanket/sleeping bag, camping gear, canoe/kayak on top..

the bag - trade items, cache pages, GPS, batteries, camera, plam pilot, batteries, pen/pencil/sharpener, trash bag, firs aid kit, binoculars, water, lighter/waterproof safety matches, log book/note pad, money (to trade), any Travel Bugs, batteries, personal/medical items.

The GPS - nearest caches, routes, maps/topo.

The cooler - picnic, beverages, ice.

The house - turn down the heat/ac and tell someone where you're going, and when you'll be back.

Ready? Set? CACHE!

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

TahoeJoe Said:

quote:
When you return to your car after geocaching do not set the gps on the roof of your car or you might forget about it like I have done three or four times (luckily I have a luggage rack on my SUV so it was still there). Has anyone else ever done this?

I have on at least 4 occasions left my GPSr at the cache. (Both when finding and hiding.) Once I had to back-track 5.4 miles to get back to it and it got dark before I got back. Thank God for the Track-Back feature on my GPS III Pilot.