Welcome note in Spanish?

Hey - if a stasher thinks a note in Spanish is a useful thing to have in a cache in an area with a large non-English speaking community, great. There is one to be found. There are areas in the US where one in German might be a good idea, or French, or Chinese.

I would remind you that there is no official language in the US. Just because English is the most commonly spoken language does not mean that a note in another language in a cache is a bad idea.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

There is a link to one on the "hide and seek a cache" page (right-hand side, towards the bottom).

kd7mxi, I was starting to miss your ignorant comments. Welcome back.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Hahah... that's strong.

Jamie

Not strong enough. Can you say Ugly American. Ask a reasonable question and at least schmuck appears.

When I lived in Thailand, the airports had two lines for customs. They split people up into 'foreign' and 'domestic'. After they realized that none of the Americans were walking in the correct line, effectively calling themselves foreigners, they had to make a third line.

We are silly. icon_biggrin.gif

stealyourcache.jpg

Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills

One man gathers what another man spills - St. Stephen (on caching)

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

Yes, it should be, and every other known language in the world. And I want all foreign stashes to have an English version just in case I ever go over there!

OK, I guess the original question was whether one was available, not how I feel about non-English speaking "Americans".

Yes is the answer, and I suppose if there are a lot of spanish speaking folk in the area, it probably would not be a bad idea, but only in the hope it it would help keep a stash from being disturbed unknowingly. Anyone knowingly looking for the cache should be prepared to deal with translation as part of the game.

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

After they realized that none of the Americans were walking in the correct line, effectively calling themselves foreigners, they had to make a third line.

Dru, I gotta ask since you left me stumped and never been outside the US other than Canada, and am confused by your statement.

If I were in Thialand, would I not be correct in assuming I was a foreigner????

quote:
Originally posted by kd7mxi:

this is america not mexico icon_rolleyes.gif

GEOCACHING --- It isn't about the treasure --- It is about the adventure!!!

Thank God for Free Speech and the internet!!

Wait... One question, What do they speak in Spain? icon_razz.gif

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

After they realized that none of the Americans were walking in the correct line, effectively calling themselves foreigners, they had to make a third line.

Dru, I gotta ask since you left me stumped and never been outside the US other than Canada, and am confused by your statement.

If I were in Thialand, would I not be correct in assuming I was a foreigner????

That is the point. Americans were not willing to be labeled as foreigners. As simple as this sounds to you and me, they were stubborn. I guess there was some derogitory association by being labeled a foreigner. "Hey, I'm an American! not no stinkin' foreigner!"

The point I was making was that this is the common American mindset. Even with a game we are playing here that mentions 134 and counting countries involved, we are still telling people that This is America, and don't come to our game if you can't speak English! (what? the game is played in other countries? Oh, well those foreigners over there probably need to learn English as well, if they ever want to get a decent job!)

icon_wink.gif

stealyourcache.jpg

Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills

One man gathers what another man spills - St. Stephen (on caching)

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

Thanks for clearing that up, amazed I wasn't a retard for once...

I think it's just the hot topic of people living in this country not speaking English that makes us jump to conclusions - I did that myself the first time I read the post. I could have sworn the question involved making all caches multi-language.

To kd7mxi:

This may be the US, but believe it or not, outside of Utah we get visitors from other countries who participate in the sport.

Yo soy anglo, pero yo hablo dos lenguas. Y tu? Englais no esta la lengua oficial de los estados, solamanete en los estados conservativos.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

quote:

this is america not mexico icon_rolleyes.gif

GEOCACHING --- It isn't about the treasure --- It is about the adventure!!!

You know, and we were just discussing trolls in another thread, and what should raise it's ugly head...?

Hey! I'm a poet!

I didn't miss James. I just figured that his mommy cut off his ISP (since he can't pay for it himself) because she caught him looking at girly pictures again.

Yes, I may sound harsh to those of you who do not know Mr. James Weisbeck, but those of us who do know of him understand that ignorance of his whereabouts is bliss.

RedwoodRed

---

How much red would a redwood red if a redwood could red wood?

quote:

a year or so ago the peaple of utah voted english as the official language for the state

If that is true, then I think it is safe to assume that I am but one of many who read your posts who eagerly await your compliance with that legislation.

quote:
Originally posted by Norm DePlume:

quote:

a year or so ago the peaple of utah voted english as the official language for the state

If that is true, then I think it is safe to assume that I am but one of many who read your posts who eagerly await your compliance with that legislation.

You know, Norm... maybe "peaple" is a kind of fruit? It could be a combination of a pineapple and a pear. Or, maybe a pear and an apple? Whatever type of fruit it is, consuming it must have some effect on the use of capitals in proper nouns and any type of punctuation by the consumer.

RedwoodRed

---

Oh, I wish it would rain! Yep, I think it is going to be a Stevie Ray Vaughn-sort of summer.

Before you have a knee jerk reaction to the subject line. I have no problem with the cache owner putting whatever they want in a cache. But if I was traveling in Mexico I would not expect to find a cache note in English and I think it would be rude of me to expect it. I think anyone traveling here would expect to find all cache notes in English, for them to expect different is rude.

If I were to hide a cache in France I personally would make sure that everything in the cache and cache note was in French, and if anything were in English it would be a small "in addition too" kind of thing.

That said, a multi-lingual cache note I think would be a nice touch since this is an international sport. I would love to see a generator that would create a two-page cache note. First page would contain a large text version of the major language of the area, while the second page would contain several translations of the first.

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315:

quote:
Originally posted by ecnum:

I seem to recall that English is the official language in 49 of the 50 states.

Prove it!! I don't remember any legislation being passed in Florida mandating english as the official language in the past 10 years.

(1) Having been subjected to TV coverage of court proceedings in Florida two years ago, I note that everyone there was speaking English.

(2) My info came from a book of word puzzles that I read in 1967.

(3) During the 1930s, Illinois adopted an official language -- they call it American.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

About a month ago someone (who was articulate and could spell) started a topic supporting James (aka kd7mxi) - and wondering why he wasn't posting anymore. It was clearly started by a troll and the thread was deleted entirely (presumably by admin). At that time, out of curiosity I e-mailed the topic starter (registered name "O") to ask why he thought his thread got axed. Yesterday, I finally got a response - the same day that kd7mxi started posting again. The response (articulate and with correct spelling) apologized for the delay in responding - said he hadn't been checking his e-mail for awhile. Coincidence??

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

quote:

grammer and viewpints has nothing too do with intellegence and who a person is.

Education, career choice. Your command of the english language are not a reflection of your intelligance.

You do not have to be educated to be a genius.

It's your comments that make you sound Stupid.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Es una vergüenza gritadora que son muchos americanos así que pompous pensar inglés debe ser hablado por todas partes y que él nunca es foriegners. Franco, miro a cada uno que viva fuera de Tejas sea un foriegner. icon_smile.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by MartinFamily:

Does anyone have the welcome note in Spanish? Word format would be best, but any text file would work. I just had a cache disappear icon_frown.gif, and I think that had the welcome message been in spanish that they would have understood what it was and left it alone.

Thanks

Why don't you make your own. Try this link: translator.

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

A translation of VentureForth's comes out as:

It is a shame gritadora that are many Americans so pompous to think English it should be spoken for all parts and that he never it is foriegners. Frank, I look at to each one that alive out of Tiles be a foriegner.

uhhhhhh......... icon_confused.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

A translation of VentureForth's comes out as:

It is a shame gritadora that are many Americans so pompous to think English it should be spoken for all parts and that he never it is foriegners. Frank, I look at to each one that alive out of Tiles be a foriegner.

uhhhhhh......... icon_confused.gif

I'd say that THAT lost something in the translation! :0

quote:

grammer and viewpints has nothing too do with intellegence and who a person is. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yep, James... you sure showed us how "intellegence" you is! I'm truly impressed.

As for "O" - it's probably his MOM. I really don't think James "The Troll" Weisbeck could spell an entire sentence correctly unless it is, "I am."

I'm still laughing that ol' James believes that he resembles - in some distinctly distant fashion - KEANU REEVES??? What dream did THAT occur in? Maybe Keanu's PRISON photo!

Okay, I'll stop trolling for the troll for awhile.

KF6VFI

---

Ya, them translation things don't always work as planned. I tried to call my self a "dumb ***" during an online game once and the spanish speaking person on the end wondered why I was calling myself a "mute donkey"

I'd suggest anyone looking to have a cache note in another language either find someone that truly knows that language or use the version allready written that way if it's available.

And then there's this problem with the translation software: You have to type what you want to translate correctly, they don't understand the spelling and punctuation that occurs in some of these forums...

quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoctors:

I am making some kind of connection between kd7mxi=O=boblog3=majicman??????

Nope, unfortunately James is actually a real person, with very real problems. He's not remotely related to boblog3 (who's not a real person) or majicman (who is apparently real, but generally a little less scary than James.)

For those targetting warheads and so on, he told the FCC that his home coords are 40° 33' 33" N, 112° 17' 40" W, which is (or was) a vacant field just outside Tooele, Utah. That's reasonably consistent with what his profile says and with his caching record, which goes back some ways and includes hides that have actually been found by other people. If he's a fake, someone's gone to a lot of work to create him.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

For those targetting warheads and so on, he told the FCC that his home coords are 40° 33' 33" N, 112° 17' 40" W

By the way, the same source has home coordinates for me that are off by over 2 minutes on the longitude, so take those coords with a big grain of salt.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoctors:

I am making some kind of connection between kd7mxi=O=boblog3=majicman??????

I recall clearly that "Boblog" started his stupid "used medicine cache" thread (which also had obviously contrived spelling errors), immediately after "O's", "I support James" thread got axed. We all know who Boblog is.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

quote:

(1) Having been subjected to TV coverage of court proceedings in Florida two years ago, I note that everyone there was speaking English.

(2) My info came from a book of word puzzles that I read in 1967.

Once again I say PROVE IT.

1. Court procedings were in English in Florida, so what. Government provides ballots and many other documents in languauges other than english to people who do do not read or speak english as their first language. Show the bill that says English is the official language of of Florida.

2. Your source is a book of word puzzles that you read in 1967. I'd hate to think how innacurate and out of date that book was in 1967, let alone 2002.

If english truly has been mandated as the official language of 49 out of 50 states so far you have only shown one, Illinios.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

We all know who Boblog is.

Actually, we don't. We only know who boblog3 is.

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

I stand corrected! I don't know who Boblog is - but I definately suspect he is connected with James - but you are right he is not necessarily connected with boblog3