Some help here...

Guest The Bees

Guest The Bees

m the shrub towards the direction of the marina and dig. Dig carefully as the cache is presently in a rubbermaid container. I could not get a metal container in time. WARNING there is a protected nesting area near by. The cache is not in that area. There is no reason to go into or through the nesting area, which is clearly roped off. <<<

Here is the absolute WORSE case scenario for us. Not only is it buried but its next to this nest site. And we all know that most neocachers, through ignorance, would just pass over/under the rope if the GPS leads them that way.

Any thoughts on how I can tactfully ask this person to pull there cache out of the ground and out of the area? All the e-mails I've written so far either makes me sound like MPK or a self-centered whiner- neither of which is the tone I want to send.

Oh... the cache was also apparently planted by either a boy/girl scout troop.

Thanks All

Mike B

The Bees

Guest bunkerdave

My Opinion:

If the cache is clearly one which, if found by land managers, would cast geocaching in a negative light, and you have tried to contact the owner to no avail, you should remove it yourself and inform the owner. It is irresponsible to place a cache and abandon it, never checking to see what the visitors say about the condition of the cache, and, more impotantly, the condition of the surrounding area.

My recent experiences with the BLM have illustrated to me the importance of responsible participation in this hobby. I suspect that buried caches - either partially or completely - will soon be a thing of the past, and probably for the better. I have found several myself, and while I did not have a problem with it at the time, it does tend to send a message that we are not as concerned as we should be about the impact of the activity. If we are to be a "self-policing" organization, albeit a loose-knit one, we must start policing ourselves sometime. Like anyone else, I am reluctant to remove anyone's cache, but if that is what is necessary, then so be it. Better a fellow cacher than the land manager, who will then ban caching altogether from their jurisdiction.

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

What kind of land is this cache on, or should i say, under? There's a cache here in the southeast where the person who hid it plainly states that he or she owns the land. What if the cache in question here is on similar land, owned by a private citizen who doesn't mind people entering his property to find it? I'd say it's perfectly okay to bury it then (as long as you tell people to be prepared.) The fact that it's near a protected nesting area is irrelevant in a way. While it would be unfortunate if that area was disturbed, i don't think it's the land owners responsibility. What would help and be ethical is to make it MORE known exactly where the protected area is, where to stay away from, and what directions to NOT approach from.

If this is buried on other government park land with or without permission then course of action needs to be taken. Be polite, be kind, explain in a mild manner, don't condemn, give the person a chance to rectify the situation. Most people respond better to kindness than if they were treated like a moron.

Guest k2dave

I have been in casual contact w/ this person and could drop him an email refering him to this thread. (I was thinking of seaking this cache). I think I could tell him tactfully our concerns.

Guest The Bees

To Eyez: No its not on private land. It is in a park near a preserve or on the preserve itself. I'm not sure which, but definitely not private land. And I agree with kindness vs moron... that's why I wrote here seeking some help as all the replies I could come up with makes me sound like an eco-fanatic (please no flames!)

K2: Hmmm, maybe that would be a good idea... I would like to see someone voluntarily archive or at maybe replace this cache.

Jeremy: Info sent

BTW, I don't think the people who placed this cache did it maliciously, but got caught up in the excitement. I'd just hate to see newbies seek this cache out and think that burying it is the way to go.

Later All

Mike B

The Bees

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by The Bees:

Hi All,

Any thoughts on how I can tactfully ask this person to pull there cache out of the ground and out of the area

Sure, point out to him, just like you did to us, that others will definately not be as THOUGHTFUL as he is in avoiding the nesting area and, will "probably" destroy the nesting area looking for a cache that's so close to it.

Show him he needs to move it because OTHERS are idiots, not that he is one.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA