Garmi Geko 210

We got one at the early of June, it works great. The only thing is that the batteries do go fast. You can deter that with rechargeable batteries though. It's small, smaller than my Samsung flip phone when open and narrower. Fits in the pocket easily too. The only thing is that if you have it in your pocket or in something that will cause it where the buttons can be pushed, then it will turn it on when they get pushed. For the price, I think it's well worth it. We were driving around yesterday after finding a cache, just lolligagging around not knowing where we are going. We didn't have a map, but knew soem general routes of which way they went. We used the compass of it to make sure we were going in a right direction. Worked great.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

It's a fine unit, but for about the same bucks you can get an eTrex Legend at Amazon.com (after mfr's rebate).

The Legend also comes with the data cable (which is an imortant feature and a $30 add on with the Gecko). So ask yourself this. Do you want a full featured, mapping GPS, with a data cable, for about the same price as a Gecko? Hmmm, not something I'd think about too long.

quote:
We didn't have a map, but knew soem general routes of which way they went. We used the compass of it to make sure we were going in a right

With the Legend you have the map on your screen.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Brian are they still offering the rebate at Amazon? I think when I last looked they were ending July 6th, which is tomorrow. If true, you are correct, don't think too long.

The rebate is a Garmin one and it may well expire tomorrow. So don't hesitate. Act before midnight tonight! Thanks for bringing that up Bri!

From my experience though, Garmin seems to start another rebate program not long afer the last one expires.

Still, even without the rebate, you can get the Legend for $199 (with data cable).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Yes the deal Brian spoke of is a good deal. But you need to be the one to decide of what you want and need. Your budget and uses of it takes presidence. If you can afford only $140, then the Gecko 201 is a good model in that price range. If you can spend $200, then why not go for a more expensive model with more features. But, I know how being on a budget is and not wanting to spend more than you need to on something in case you don't like doing it. Go to a store and play with them. If you go to a retail chain store or sporting goods store, then 99% of those selling them, don't really know. You may get lucky and find someone who does and maybe someon who caches. Go with what you feel comfortable with buying. Just a point, but all units will help you locate the areas of the caches.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

I've got a Gecko 201 as a backup GPS. My primary one is a MeriPlat (I love it!).

I like the Gecko for the form factor (it makes a great mountain bike onboard computer!) and it performs somewhat OK under tree cover but loses signal when it gets too thick (my MeriPlat works fine under the same conditions).

If you can spend a little more, get a better GPS with TOPO maps. It's -invaluable-.

82972_1100.jpg

We've used the 201 Geko for 28 cache hits in 3 weeks. Good for long distance, but within 60 feet by the display, you could be standing on tupperware.

Literally! check out my log of 'OL BRIDGE (waypoint GC8A12), I had a shoe lace on the box thinking I was 30 some odd feet away.

But it's always got us there, and back.

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

I've been using the 201 since I started a couple of months ago. I've only been skunked a few times using it and most of those have been on caches a lot of other people have been skunked on too.

The Geko will get you where you need to be. Just like any other GPS, you can get close to the cache, but it can't help you find the cache. If a GPS comes out with a "Find Cache" function then this game will get pretty boring.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!