Airplanes and GPS

Has anyone recently brought their gps on a commercial airline flight? Should you ask permission? Do the security bag-checkers give you flack? Do the people sitting next to you flip out and start attacking you with magazines and steaming-hot coffee?

I'd like to look at mine on the plane to see the speed and elevation and stuff, but I was wondering if some airlines were different than others about things like that.

-pizzachef

Flew to Vegas on Continental and no one blinked an eye. Continental didn't list the GPS as a restricted item. Sit near a window, the only way the GPS picked up (MagPlat). It was very cool, barometric pressure was like 72 in/hg and speed was around 450 mph (headwinds). I set McCarran as the GOTO and watched the progress of the flight. It was amazing to watch how close to the direct line that the plane actually flew. As we got near interesting geographic features I would zoom in to see what we were flying over. Very cool.

"Where ever you go, there you are"

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

Has anyone recently brought their gps on a commercial airline flight? Should you ask permission? Do the security bag-checkers give you flack? Do the people sitting next to you flip out and start attacking you with magazines and steaming-hot coffee?

There have been a number of threads on this. Please search the forum to find them.

The short answer is that it depends on the airline. Some allow them, others do not. From personal experience I have never had a question about my GPS from the security and never had other passengers freak out on the plane. They likely never really noticed. My GPS only works while right next to the window (touching the plastic), which means you can keep it out of sight from other passengers pretty easily.

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

I used mine last weekend on a Delta Connections flight to Philly. Airport Security checked my bags--not because of the two cell phones, one land phone, GPSr, Palm Pilot, and pager, but because of a bottle of bourbon in the bag with the electronics. They wanted to make certain the bottle was sealed.

I did not ask permission before using my GPSr nor did anyone freak (of course, the person next to me was my husband.) I've heard stories about FAs asking passengers to turn them off and I've heard stories about FAs being very interested in how they work.

WCGreen

I recently completed a flight from Orlando -> Seattle and back again within a week. I like to travel light so I took only two carry ons (Continental - my personal fav). I had a duffle and a daypack. I carried: my Garmin V, two FRS radios, a digital camera with tripod/disks, my Palm m505, Nokia phone and several chargers, cables and assorted "gadgets". All of my "toys" were in my daypack and it made it through the x-ray both ways with never a question. It was stopped and looked at but it did seem the screeners were professional and quite good at what they did. On the plane - having read the appropriate sites/threads on the topic - I CHOSE not to ask (better to beg forgiveness and all that) but just whipped out my Garmin (reserved window seats for this very purpose) and watched the speed climb. I did not make a spectacle out of anything and only one person asked me about it and I just replied - it is a GPS - no further comment and no further questions. I really enjoyed watching it for a bit. Actually - I get more questions about my Palm Pilot than my GPS. Caching is a different issue - people are very curious. As far as the plane - there was no problem with security - and onboard there was no problem (for me). Now if ANYONE had asked me to put it away or made further inquiry I would have done just that - put it away. I was not flying the plane - so my GPS was out for "fun." If that helps great - common sense and courtesy - just like the rest of geocaching icon_razz.gif I had a great trip and managed to put Travel Dawg in a cache that has since moved so he is on his way as well!! icon_wink.gif If you travel have a safe trip and HAPPY CACHING icon_biggrin.gif

I recently completed a flight from Orlando -> Seattle and back again within a week. I like to travel light so I took only two carry ons (Continental - my personal fav). I had a duffle and a daypack. I carried: my Garmin V, two FRS radios, a digital camera with tripod/disks, my Palm m505, Nokia phone and several chargers, cables and assorted "gadgets". All of my "toys" were in my daypack and it made it through the x-ray both ways with never a question. It was stopped and looked at but it did seem the screeners were professional and quite good at what they did. On the plane - having read the appropriate sites/threads on the topic - I CHOSE not to ask (better to beg forgiveness and all that) but just whipped out my Garmin (reserved window seats for this very purpose) and watched the speed climb. I did not make a spectacle out of anything and only one person asked me about it and I just replied - it is a GPS - no further comment and no further questions. I really enjoyed watching it for a bit. Actually - I get more questions about my Palm Pilot than my GPS. Caching is a different issue - people are very curious. As far as the plane - there was no problem with security - and onboard there was no problem (for me). Now if ANYONE had asked me to put it away or made further inquiry I would have done just that - put it away. I was not flying the plane - so my GPS was out for "fun." If that helps great - common sense and courtesy - just like the rest of geocaching icon_razz.gif I had a great trip and managed to put Travel Dawg in a cache that has since moved so he is on his way as well!! icon_wink.gif If you travel have a safe trip and HAPPY CACHING icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Number 6:

A GPSr is a radio receiver and as such banned from inflight use.

Nope. In their in-flight magazine, Southwest specifically states that GPS receivers ARE allowed.

I had no problem carrying mine on KLM and Northwest recently, but I didn’t use it.

I took mine on a USAirways flight and had no difficulty using it. It was interesting seeing speed and altitude though they got boring after reaching cruise altitude icon_smile.gif Even better was being able to pan and zoom the map to identify what I was seeing out the window.

I did have one flight attendant tell me that I couldn't use my cell phone on the plane. When I informed her that it was a GPSr she said that it was ok to use. icon_smile.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

I took mine on a USAirways flight and had no difficulty using it. It was interesting seeing speed and altitude though they got boring after reaching cruise altitude icon_smile.gif Even better was being able to pan and zoom the map to identify what I was seeing out the window.

I did have one flight attendant tell me that I couldn't use my cell phone on the plane. When I informed her that it was a GPSr she said that it was ok to use. icon_smile.gif

I'm not lost!

Using my Garmin EMap when flying is a blast! Everyone makes fun of me when I get off the plane, as I tend to have a blotch on my forehead from staring out the window!

There has only been 1 occasion when I could not get a signal – for some reason there just weren’t any “birds” on my side of the plane.

I have many a friend/ relative that are commercial and private pilots - they confirm that using a GPS on the plane is A-OK.

Cheers!

I just flew out to Phoenix and back last week with a bag full of electronic goodies. Computer, a few peripherals, digital camera, cell phone, and my GPS. The only items security seemed to take interest in were the computer and cell phone.(and my shoes) By now, I guess GPSR's are fairly common items.

I've used my GPS on the plane a couple of time without comment from the flight attendents. Sometimes I even hook it into the computer to use it with Street Atlas and stick it on the window. Nobody complained so far. icon_wink.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

I just flew out to Phoenix and back last week with a bag full of electronic goodies. Computer, a few peripherals, digital camera, cell phone, and my GPS. The only items security seemed to take interest in were the computer and cell phone.(and my shoes) By now, I guess GPSR's are fairly common items.

I've used my GPS on the plane a couple of time without comment from the flight attendents. Sometimes I even hook it into the computer to use it with Street Atlas and stick it on the window. Nobody complained so far. icon_wink.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

I have used my Magellan Map330 on a number of flights. I always check that it is an approved electrical device. I reserve window seats just so I can use it. It makes the flight so much more interesting to see what we're flying over and how fast we're going. It's especially fun at night when cities are all lit up.

I have had flight attendants look directly at my GPS and move along. I am sure that they are familiar with GPS's, and had I ever been asked to turn it off, I would have done so immediately.

I do tend to get a question or two from the passenger next to me. Once I explain what it is, they either deem me a geek and ignore me, or ask me to show them where we are every 15 minutes or so. icon_biggrin.gif

I have used my Magellan Map330 on a number of flights. I always check that it is an approved electrical device. I reserve window seats just so I can use it. It makes the flight so much more interesting to see what we're flying over and how fast we're going. It's especially fun at night when cities are all lit up.

I have had flight attendants look directly at my GPS and move along. I am sure that they are familiar with GPS's, and had I ever been asked to turn it off, I would have done so immediately.

I do tend to get a question or two from the passenger next to me. Once I explain what it is, they either deem me a geek and ignore me, or ask me to show them where we are every 15 minutes or so. icon_biggrin.gif

Well, I'm glad so many people have had positive experiences with GPS's on planes...I thought maybe there'd be more negative comments. Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

And I HAVE been reading the forums a while, so I've been across the old threads about this subject, but I was looking for some fresh info.

COOL, so my gps is coming with me on my next flight then.

Happy Caching...

-pizzachef

Well, I'm glad so many people have had positive experiences with GPS's on planes...I thought maybe there'd be more negative comments. Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

And I HAVE been reading the forums a while, so I've been across the old threads about this subject, but I was looking for some fresh info.

COOL, so my gps is coming with me on my next flight then.

Happy Caching...

-pizzachef

I used it last month on US Airways flights from Seattle to Pittsburgh to Baltimore. I asked the flight attendant to check with the captain, and he said he didn't think it would be allowed, but then came back and told me it was OK.

I found it neat to see that we maxed out at 610 mph, and that the clouds started at almost exactly 10,000 feet. It was also useful when I was flying over some unusual geological formations -- I wanted to find out what they were. (Turned out they were the cliffs of the Potomac River canyon near Antietam, MD)

"If a boy has enough intelligence, he ought to go into the ministry, except that if when he enters college he is given to carousing, drinking, and wenching, then in that case he should enter the law." - Harvard Student Review, 1796

I have had no problems on Delta. I seem to push it a bit as I bring my suction cup mount and have slapped the thing right on the window. It is very cool at night seeing the lights of a city and looking at the Emap to see what the city is. I can also watch the altitude screen and know pretty well when they are going to tell us to turn off portable electronics.

I have used it on flights to Atlanta, Denver, Washington National, Boston Logan and never a problem.

I used my Garmin GPSMAP76 on a Delta flight from JFK to VCE. It was interesting for a while. 550 smph. 35,000 feet. Watching the little arrow on the screen move a LOT faster than it usually does. It could only see a few satellites out the window; I handed it to the passenger/off-duty flight attendant icon_wink.gif next to me, she said it was pretty cool. Then, beep-beep - lost satelite reception. icon_rolleyes.gif When I placed it closer to the window again, it re-acquired. Most airliners are pretty well shielded from EMI/RFI, so most TX/RX devices work very poorly unless held right up to the window.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

I used my Garmin GPSMAP76 on a Delta flight from JFK to VCE. It was interesting for a while. 550 smph. 35,000 feet. Watching the little arrow on the screen move a LOT faster than it usually does. It could only see a few satellites out the window; I handed it to the passenger/off-duty flight attendant icon_wink.gif next to me, she said it was pretty cool. Then, beep-beep - lost satelite reception. icon_rolleyes.gif When I placed it closer to the window again, it re-acquired. Most airliners are pretty well shielded from EMI/RFI, so most TX/RX devices work very poorly unless held right up to the window.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

I flew from NY to Little Rock Arkansas last month and had gps in carry on bag, Used it on a delta flight no problem, no questions. I tell you though all the talk of the hyped up security but I was not impressed. They never looked at our electronics in carryon... gps, digital camera, laptop, palm.. and on the way home I was randomly marked for thorough search. We were bringing back computer parts in our check in luggage and right on the top of my bag was a puter power supply with wires coming out all over the place... the guy checking took a step back from the bag... my boyfriend proceeded to show him that this was a power supply and here was the mother board and chip. The guy checking the bag didn't look any further... said this stuff scared him... "let someone else deal with it"... he zipped up the bag and put it on the belt for loading.

Considering he removed and checked every pile of neatly folded clothes of the mother with 3 yr old daughter ahead of me I found this extremly unsafe judgement on the checker's part. If the stuff made him nervous then he should have called a supervisor or someone else over to check out our story... not that I was looking for trouble... but this was ridiculous.

Used my Legend on America West a few months ago..there policy said "no" icon_frown.gif but I asked..and they let me icon_wink.gif ...did great on the RJ..Flew 4 flights this week on United..asked and they said "yes" icon_biggrin.gif ..good results on the 737 but nothing on an Airbus...seems the GPS is supposed to be coded FCCB or newer..they said new units were okay to use.

barondriver1.jpg

Used my Legend on America West a few months ago..there policy said "no" icon_frown.gif but I asked..and they let me icon_wink.gif ...did great on the RJ..Flew 4 flights this week on United..asked and they said "yes" icon_biggrin.gif ..good results on the 737 but nothing on an Airbus...seems the GPS is supposed to be coded FCCB or newer..they said new units were okay to use.

barondriver1.jpg

I got into this one a bit late. I have used my GPSr on a number of commercial flights and have had mixed reactions. I use the suction cup RAM mount for my III+ and stick it to the window with the antenna tilted out the window. I ran into one particularly ignorant stewardess who was very nervous about it on my way back from Hawaii. She couldn’t think of any reason why I couldn’t use it so she began to frighten the people around us in an attempt to “guilt” me into taking it down. She came back in a few minutes and asked to look at it, said she had to check for an FCC number of some sort. Since there’s nothing printed on the receiver she boldly proclaimed it was unsuitable for use in flight. Next time I’ll print out the airline’s regs regarding GPSr [if I can find them].

All in all I’ve had pretty good luck with it other than that one situation. I sometimes detach the antenna and suction cup just the antenna to the window and set the GPSr on my tray table.

I would advise taking along some documentation if you can find it, if not look through the in-flight guide during climb out [when you can’t use your GPSr anyway] and fold the page you need over just in case.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

On a recent United flight I asked the pilot for permission to use my GPS. He wouldn't allow it. icon_frown.gif He said that the GPS will "interrogate" the satellites, and those signals could affect the signals used by the aircraft navigation system. He did admit the chances of interference were very small, but the stakes are obviously high. Erring on the side of caution, I expect.

It would sure be nice to get one consistent answer, as long as that answer is the one we want to hear. icon_wink.gif

On a recent United flight I asked the pilot for permission to use my GPS. He wouldn't allow it. icon_frown.gif He said that the GPS will "interrogate" the satellites, and those signals could affect the signals used by the aircraft navigation system. He did admit the chances of interference were very small, but the stakes are obviously high. Erring on the side of caution, I expect.

It would sure be nice to get one consistent answer, as long as that answer is the one we want to hear. icon_wink.gif

Jumping back in here. I have also used my Garmin III+ in my capacity as a Flight Engineer on the USAF C-141B StarLifter during all phases of flight. I’ve used it at high altitude cruise and during low-level airdrop flights. I can say unequivocally that it NEVER caused any interference whatsoever. I used it in the cockpit and attached the BNC connector to the aircraft’s exterior antenna. When a pilot says he thinks it will interfere with the aircraft navigation systems, he’s really saying he has no logical reason to deny its use. He’s feeding you bull#$%. Unfortunately there’s nothing you can do unless you get some sort of documentation saying you can use it. My suggestion is this: DON’T ask, just set it up and use it like you do it every day. You can’t get into trouble unless you resist if they ask you to turn it off.

If you're taking your laptop, don't forget the GPS/PC cable like I did -twice. ALso stick one of the double stick form squares on the GPS so you can stick it on the bulkhead right beneath the window so you'll always get a lock. Wen you arrive the "stickum" comes right off. You can alternately leave the GPS on the fold out table but you sometimes lose lock.

As already stated Delta allows GPS use but does not allow it while on the ground and during the takoff and landing; similar to PDA's.

Also, I found the lady sitting next to me very interested in my GPS. Unfortunately she wan't my type. icon_smile.gif

Alan

If you're taking your laptop, don't forget the GPS/PC cable like I did -twice. ALso stick one of the double stick form squares on the GPS so you can stick it on the bulkhead right beneath the window so you'll always get a lock. Wen you arrive the "stickum" comes right off. You can alternately leave the GPS on the fold out table but you sometimes lose lock.

As already stated Delta allows GPS use but does not allow it while on the ground and during the takoff and landing; similar to PDA's.

Also, I found the lady sitting next to me very interested in my GPS. Unfortunately she wan't my type. icon_smile.gif

Alan

Horizon/Alaska - specifically state NO in their magazine and their safety talk (I didn't bother to ask - I just didn't use it) I did however use my laptop with Streets & Trips and drew a straight line from the N side of SeaTac to the middle of Calgary and looking out the window - WOW! Like someone said, they follow that line VERY closely.

WestJet (Canada) - no problem 95% of the time.

Once I had a flight dispatcher or something say no (I asked as I walked past the flightdeck and he was signing off with the PICs)

Its not intentional BS from these guys I'm sure, they don't have RF theory in their training but they do have 100 items on a checklist, 100 other airplanes to avoid and the sincere care for 100+ lives on their minds so I can easily forgive them if they don't feel comfy with the idea. It sure makes a flight go faster though, especially with Streets & Trips.

One Air Canada pilot said no, but he would check. I guess he opened the glove box and found his A340 owners manual (or some doc) and sent the FA back and she said it was fine (Woo Hoo - Thanks Buddy!!)

quote:
Does it matter if your window seat has a Southern / Northern / Eastern / Western exposure?

Any better luck one side of the plane over the other?

Well, you will only be able to get WAAS with a southern exposure, but I would guess that the WAAS corrections aren't too important when you're going 450 knots at 33k feet!

I am new to the geocaching and GPS thing. But have thought it would be nice to have a GPS when flying so I know where I am and what I am seeing. But for me this has all gotten out of hand pre or post Sept 11. If some kind of device really does cause problems then what is to stop a group of people from turning them on and leaving them in their pockets or carry on the entire flight. If you believe what the airlines say this should start havoc with the plane's systems. Or how about just parking a car near the end of a runway and transmitting a signal more powerful than anything I could send on a plane. If planes are that sensitive to signals they have way more problems to worry about then my GPS or Walkman. After seeing all the cell phone calls that were made on planes on Sept 11th is there anybody that still believes they cause problems with navigating an airplane. If they did things might have ended up a lot differently. I don’t mind security but I have problems with things that make no sense. Unfortunately it has become very difficult to question these things since Sept you are looked at as being some kind of terrorist.

A little off topic but somewhat related. Yesterday I was out looking for a cache near a National Park. Decided to stop in the visitor’s center to check out the book selection. Upon entering a ranger asked if she could help me, I said I was only going to the book store thanks. She then said I could not come in with a backpack. Which contained my GPS, digital camera, a map, printouts of the caches, and some other assorted items. She said since Sept they don’t allow them in. I explained this was the park service which by its nature I would guess deals with a lot of people with backpacks. I then pointed out all the woman there that had purses that were very close in size to my backpack and what about people wearing coats that could hide any number of things. At that point another ranger felt the need to step in usher me out. Does any of this make sense to anybody? I am sorry but this is not the country I thought I was born in. Is everybody willing to just roll over and not question anything? Doing something in the name of security does not make it any more secure.

A couple things here, first of all it’s important to remember that a GPSr does not TRANSMIT, it only receives. [OK, except for those new Rinos] A cell phone can cause interference but it’s rare. The real reason you’re not supposed to use a cell phone in-flight in not because of the problems it may cause with the airplane, rather the problems it will cause with the cellular network. When you talk on a cell phone in your car, the phone locks onto the nearest cell tower and then jumps to another as you move. You never hear the change of both tower and frequency because it’s so fast. Now, imagine you’re in a plane going 400 mph, the cell network can collapse from the load you’d place on it to keep switching from tower to tower. That’s the theory anyway, not exactly the fact the cell industry wanted everyone to believe before 9-11. also, don’t forget the $2 a minute charge you wouldn’t be giving the airline to use their sky-phones. But like I said, a GPSr only receives signals. If anything, the plane’s avionics might interfere with your GPSr although I haven’t had that experience.

As for the aircraft GPSr being different, it is. But this is an apples and oranges argument for not being able to use your handheld in the cabin. After an aircraft crashed in Bosnia with Ron Brown on it, the USAF decided to add GPSrs to all its aircraft to raise the situational awareness of the flight crews as to where they were in time and space. Guess what they bought? Handheld GPSrs! The C-141B, was modified to add a power outlet and a female BNC connector and an antenna was screwed into the top of the plane just behind the AR receptacle. Two antenna types were used, first was a little white one that looked like a small bump in the skin of the plane. Later we got a dinner-plate size one that looked like a small table. The interior mod was also done twice. At first, we weren’t allowed to use them during critical phases of flight [take off and landing] but it was later either dropped or ignored. It was, for the most part, eyewash. The MCX connector on the GPSr broke most times from stress, and the power supply was not able to adjust to the spikes in the aircraft electrical system. Not to mention that few knew how to use them. I began to bring my III+ and plug it into the aircraft antenna but ran it on battery power. This gave me hours during cruise to play with and learn the unit. I would enter the entire computer flight plan in manually and follow the flight turn for turn. And like I said, it NEVER caused any interference even though I was sitting literally on top of the aircraft avionics!

On the off topic; yes, security has gotten ridiculous in the wake of 9-11. None of those things will do squat to prevent another incident. It’s all just more eyewash. In the Air Force, we have a saying that goes; It’s far easier to [screw] all your people than it is to manage them effectively. It’s the same here. Instead of say, looking through suspicious backpacks or purses, we’ll just ban them all. Hopefully we’ll all come to our senses soon…….

Hi all have a quetion for ya. The twins and I are headed to Cloudcorft MN in two weeks for a week vacation and was wondering if I would be able to take an amo can on the plane. I plane on placing two in the general Cloudcroft area.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

I flew Alaska airlines from Sacramento to Sitka this week. They told us no GPS use.

While fishing in Sitka, I did note the boats position from the boats GPS. Loaded it into my

etrex when I got home and found how far the fishing spot is from home.

Al

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

There was a good post on a previous thread about GPSr / transmitting. Yes they don't transmit but circuitry inside them can cause interference, although, the chances are darn near 0. I have talked with avionics techs (through work) and they use cell phones in the flight deck when doing empty test flights and even with those relatively strong transmitters right there, they have never observed problems.

The author was "Peter" and he did a better job explaining it than I could have (although I did get honors in Electronics Eng)

>>GPS receivers aren't deliberately designed to transmit any signals. However, there will be some unintentional transmitted signals as a result of the high speed digital circuits and because of the intermediate frequency oscillator in the radio receiver circuits. Neither should cause any harmful interference for equipment more than a few inches away and a typical GPS receiver should transmit less than a typical laptop computer or many electronic games. Nevertheless, some airlines have chosen to ban use of GPS receivers and I'd strongly urge you to comply if asked to turn yours off or if you know that the airline does not allow its use. You should also have it off (along with other consumer electronics) while the airplane is below 10 kft. Interference from a passenger's malfunctioning electronic device has a much greater potential for harm if it happens at low altitude and in the congested airspace near airports.<<

quote:
The twins and I are headed to Cloudcorft MN in two weeks for a week vacation and was wondering if I would be able to take an amo can on the plane.

I hope you mean Cloudcroft NM, not MN! icon_wink.gif

I personally wouldn't take an ammo can on an airplane. It might be OK in checked luggage, but there is no way you'll ever get to carry one on!

quote:
The twins and I are headed to Cloudcorft MN in two weeks for a week vacation and was wondering if I would be able to take an amo can on the plane.

I hope you mean Cloudcroft NM, not MN! icon_wink.gif

I personally wouldn't take an ammo can on an airplane. It might be OK in checked luggage, but there is no way you'll ever get to carry one on!

quote:

I personally wouldn't take an ammo can on an airplane. It _might_ be OK in checked luggage, but there is no way you'll ever get to carry one on!

Why not? Ammo cans seem like a nearly indestructible form of carry on luggage icon_smile.gif . It would probably be searched at every opportunity the 'security' personnel, but an ammo can, in and of itself, should not be objectionable. As long as you can show the contents of the can are safe why would they not be allowed?

I think they may actually cause more trouble in checked baggage. Imagine the appearance of the ammo cans on an x-ray. They'd probably shut down the whole ariport and blow up the bag. It seems better to have them out where they can be examined and deemed safe.

The best idea is probably call the airlines or airport security and ask what's best to do with them.

I'm not lost!