shotglasses as signature items?

Mr. Snazz

I've got a couple hundred of those from the various places I've been over the years. I used to collect them as a memento of trips I took. I'm a very limited drinker so I'm not talking about bars, I mean like one from Yellowstone, one from Carlsbad Caverns, etc, etc.

Now I know what I can do with them! I'll make a shot glass cache! Take one and leave one!

Thanks, I appreciate that....lol.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Cool idea! Special glass paint can be purchased at craft stores so that the logo will stay on after being washed. Another idea would be the glass etching stuff also sold at craft stores. From what I've seen on TV, it's very easy to use.

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

I once had a bad experience with a shot glass. I was at a stoplight at the corner of an intersection near here and one of my passengers handed me a shot glass with some sort of liquid (I refuse to divulge the identity of the contents) contained in it. He urged me to imbibe it in a rapid fashion. As I did so, a bird (the authorities later determined that it was some sort of swallow...ironically named, as I reflect upon it) flew into the open driver's side window and struck the driver (that would be me) on the side of the face. Adrenaline being what it is, I immediately made an involuntary lurch to my right (away from the window) and splashed the substance in the shot glass toward the passenger's seat.

My passenger, unlucky fellow that he is, was in the process of igniting a cigarette with the prospect of smoking it. We've all cautioned him as to the health risks, but he refuses to listen. However, as the embers of his cigarette were beginning to glow over the flame of his lighter, some flammable substance (from the previously identified shot glass) was sprayed about the premises, causing a short, but impressive, ball of flame to ignite about his head.

As an end result of the experience, my friend only had hair on one side of his head, and what remained on the other side I believe he shaved off in the hopes that the new "crop" would grow uniformly.

Shot glass in a cache? I think not!

(By the way, this IS a true story...authorities' involvement was due to the fact that the car caught on fire, in addition to my buddy!)

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

That really is sad, but you were certainly the weakest link in that chain of events!

Not a good reason to say that all shotglasses in any cache would be a bad idea, and that, I believe, was the question.

I say shot glasses in good condition should be just fine (unless there are self-control issues while driving after you leave the cache).

don

Dude, that was awesome!

Did you get any pictures? Can we see the police report? How did they write that one up?

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:

I once had a bad experience with a shot glass. I was at a stoplight at the corner of an intersection near here and one of my passengers handed me a shot glass with some sort of liquid (I refuse to divulge the identity of the contents) contained in it. He urged me to imbibe it in a rapid fashion. As I did so, a bird (the authorities later determined that it was some sort of swallow...ironically named, as I reflect upon it) flew into the open driver's side window and struck the driver (that would be me) on the side of the face. Adrenaline being what it is, I immediately made an involuntary lurch to my right (away from the window) and splashed the substance in the shot glass toward the passenger's seat.

My passenger, unlucky fellow that he is, was in the process of igniting a cigarette with the prospect of smoking it. We've all cautioned him as to the health risks, but he refuses to listen. However, as the embers of his cigarette were beginning to glow over the flame of his lighter, some flammable substance (from the previously identified shot glass) was sprayed about the premises, causing a short, but impressive, ball of flame to ignite about his head.

As an end result of the experience, my friend only had hair on one side of his head, and what remained on the other side I believe he shaved off in the hopes that the new "crop" would grow uniformly.

(By the way, this IS a true story...authorities' involvement was due to the fact that the car caught on fire, in addition to my buddy!)

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I experimented with some glass paint and adhesive paper stencils, with mixed results... and its a pain to cut stencils by hand with an exacto icon_smile.gif So I think I'm going to pony up the $160 to get 72 professionally done. That should last me for at least a few months icon_biggrin.gif The vendor I'm planning to use is http://www.custom-mugs.com/, in a few weeks, if/when I have the glasses in hand, I'll post a link on this thread to some photos.

It's a dumb idea. What if it breaks in the cache and some poor, unsuspecting child reaches into the cache and slices open his jugular vein? What if a prisoner on a road crew comes across it? He can take it and throw it at his guard to knock him out and then run away. What if some teenagers find it and decide to put alcohol in it and drink it, then get behind the wheel of a car?

Then it wouldn't be such a great idea afterall, would it? What are you people thinking?

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

Dude, that was awesome!

Did you get any pictures? Can we see the police report? How did they write that one up?

quote:

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

No charges were pressed, as I was not actually under the influence. The circumstances that transpired prevented my intoxication (the good lord works in mysterious ways, doesn't he!). We were only a block or two away from our destination and I was the designated driver. I will add that it was not my car that was damaged, but it was owned by one of the guys in the back seat. We all exited the vehicle in a rapid fashion (the situation seemed a bit exigent at the time, so haste seemed to be on everyone's mind). The recipient of my flaming concoction was trasported to the hospital and, after careful examination by the attending physician, a diagnosis was declared, namely that his hair had been burned off.

The offending avian, however, was declared dead at the scene, not as a result of being burned, but as a result of having been apprehended by the driver (again, that would be me) and dispatched toward the floor of the car in a rapid fashion. If I had to surmise the official cause of his/her death, I would say it would be "rapid deceleration syndrome" due to his impact with the floor of the car.

Funny to reflect on it now, but at the time, it was a little disturbing.

60748_1200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

That really is sad, but you were certainly the weakest link in _that_ chain of events!

Not a good reason to say that all shotglasses in any cache would be a bad idea, and that, I believe, was the question.

I say shot glasses in good condition should be just fine (unless there are self-control issues while driving after you leave the cache).

don

First, 'twernt my car, nor my head that was engulfed in flames. I survived. Bird didn't. I think the BIRD was the weakest link.

You'd think that millions of years of evolution would have embedded something in the bird's DNA that would cause it to avoid flying in an open car window where people were lighting flames around combustible liquids.

And on another note, how come "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing?

60748_1200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Can anybody think up some good reasons NOT to use a shotglass (with a logo painted on it) as a signature item?

I considered that, actually, though went with writing-related paraphernalia. While I thought of it, the potential breakage problem was a concern. However, I've noticed that Starbucks has metal shot glasses. More money, of course, but there might be some cheapter alternative.

quote:

And on another note, how come "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing?

According to my Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary, flammable is the preferred word in technical applications, such as:

"The shotglasses lined up on the bar may contain flammable liquids. But, if you refuse my invitation to drink them with me, that would lead to an inflammable situation."

don

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

What if it breaks in the cache and some poor, unsuspecting child reaches into the cache and slices open his jugular vein?

I always thought the jugular vein was in my neck...I'm going to have to be more careful where I put my hands.

quote:
What if some teenagers find it and decide to put alcohol in it and drink it, then get behind the wheel of a car?

Couldn't they just fill the film cannister/tupperware container/ammo box with booze?

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

It's a dumb idea. What if it breaks in the cache and some poor, unsuspecting child reaches into the cache and slices open his jugular vein?

....snip....

Then it wouldn't be such a great idea afterall, would it? What are you people thinking?

_A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away._ -Barry Goldwater

Exactly how does a child cut his jugular reaching into a cache container? OK, maybe a quadraplegic reaching in with his teeth!

Remember on these forums it's important to be accurate! icon_wink.gif

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Exactly how does a child cut his jugular reaching into a cache container?

Duh, what if the broken shard of glass bounced up and hit him in the neck? One severely injured child, just because someone put a shot glass in a cache.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

Are any of the caches rated??? Like the movies? yeah sure glass can break, but would a responsible adult let a child reach into a cache without checking it first??

Also what about any other dangers? like Rattlesnakes. I know that some of these areas that the caches are in are very active with snakes.

I say it's a Judgement call....

There's always some "what-if's" that you can imagine up for any event. I think they're a great idea and if you're a cache owner and don't like it in your cache: just remove it. No big deal. You should be checking your cache anyway. BTW, shotglasses are pretty cheap to make, so long as you want them in batches of over a hundered or more. Plus the setup fees kill 'ya ever time. Other than that...go for it! icon_smile.gif

"Not all who wander are lost..." -Tolkien

I'm going to use this plastic-bag bubblewrap stuff to cover the glasses, to help prevent them from breaking while in the cache - although if I considered breakage to be a serious concern, I wouldn't proceed with the plan at all. icon_wink.gif

Accidents can happen, it'd suck to accidently drop an ammo can down a hillside onto some rocks, and then after you've retrieved it, opening it up to find a bunch of broken glass inside.

quote:
going ahead with the order

Just great. There will be blood on your hands whe the countryside is littered with dead and maimed children, whose only crime was going on a treasure hunt.

I was thinking of this thread earlier today when I started a thread about converting some of the public domain logo data into a format that Autocad can use inconjunction with a laser to etch some items I am having manufactured. Have you considered using this method for your shot glass design?

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

Someone around here is reminding me of Frank Burns from MASH. icon_biggrin.gif

By the way, the shot glass idea is great.

I also like the idea of adding coordinates to find the stash to fill it icon_wink.gif Speaking of which, last summer I found a 24 pack of beer in some weeds where kids would probably hang out. There were 18 unopened beers left. What to do, what to do. I remember my high school days and I wouldn't want to find it missing if it were mine, but I couldn't in good concience leave it there, and I couldn't let perfectly good beer go to waste so I HAD to take it home and drink it. icon_wink.gif