most valuable cache

Guest tamster

Guest tamster

Hi ya! My first post and first day to learn of such sport. Anywho, I'd like to hear about what stuff of any real monitary value people have found. Not that I would'nt be thrilled to find any 'ol stuff icon_wink.gif Just wanna know.

Guest Hamster

A great promotion for GPS manufacturers would be to plant Caches locally with like 100 dollars in cash in them, or a new GPS unit. They could advertise on internet and radio, and have people looking for them or something. Would be excellent marketing ploy.

Guest WrongWay

There's a story that was related to me one stormy night in the surplus isles of a popular outdoor outfitter.

A GeoCacher, who, during the days of Selective Availability and 8 channel receivers, stumbled across a cache containing wealth beyond his wildest dreams.

It's told that he marked a waypoint and in his hasty moment of greed forgot to Average.

It's rumored that he's spent the remaining years searching for "The Lost Cache".

To this day you can find him, at any purveyor of leading edge GPS receivers, at REI or Wal-Mart, at Best Buy...

He'll be the one with the sunburned forehead, torn clothes, worn out shoes and pockets full of crumpled maps from TOPOZONE.COM.

He'll be staring vacantly into the glass cases and mumbling to himself :

"?it has to be there?it has to?was it True or Mag? Was it WGS84 or NAD27? It has to be there?"

As for me, I've netted a worn out Jack antenna ball, a nifty magnifier pen, a disturbing, bleeding gash on my leg, and a lifetime of great memories with my daughter.

I'll never give up though, you never know, "The Lost Cache" may just be the next one you locate.

Guest DrunkenBard

I suspect you could get a mfr to provide a new GPS for something like this if you talked to them really nicely. After all, they're usually just covering their costs on the price of the GPS itself, so they can make a killing on the cables and software. My Lowrance, for example was $200, and the accessories come out to; software $130, power cable $25, data cable $35. I don't know what their cost is on the SW, but I made both cables for about $6 each, without the benefit of buying parts in bulk.

------------------

DrunkenBard

http://www.drunkenbard.com

A local cacher worked for months with a zoo to put ten micros in the local zoo. He picked one morning for a group hunt. Each pill bottle had one digit to the final cache. The final box was the biggest ammo box I've ever seen and it was initially stuffed with $600 worth of booty.

The group dynamic was great - our Middle Tennessee Geocaching Club was really just starting at the time and roaming around the zoo with other cachers was a large time. The placer had also stacked the deck so that on 'the day' you'd pretty much have to walk by his truck where he was tailgating so he had a chance to shoot the breeze with everyone. Last time we talked about it, he said it was probably the best time he'd ever had on a cache. Watching him, I could believe it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15058

Perhaps predictably, it decayed in value on the first day and fell pretty quickly after that. :-(

The most valuable cache I have found was my first. This convinced me that this sport I had be reading about for a few months was even more fun in real life. That was almost 8 months and 90+ caches ago. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane